Need a saw recomendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still looking

I definately have to get something considerably lighter to justify the expense of another saw. I was at Lowes today checking out the Huskys. No XP models and all fairly heavy for my needs. Im gonna try the local Stihl dealer tomorrow and try to narrow it down a bit. I like the idea of an 8lb saw with a 14 or 16 inch blade. Maybe ms180 or ms200? Ill post my results tomorrow.

Cost

Wow! I said price wasnt a major issue here but $200 for the ms180 vs $599 for the MS200? Im gonna give some serious consideration to that 180 now.

You will be better off with the 180 from a Stihl dealer than some pos at lowes.

:agree2:

But don't count out the little Makitamar 401, built like a pro saw with a vertically split magnesium case and easily built/rebuilt cylinder and piston. You can get one for around 250.00 which is cheap enough in my book.

The Stihl MS180 is a nice little saw but it is a short block and end cap homeowner special. Best to know up front what your getting.

Of course if you need dealer support to fix your saw when it's broke or to buy consumables Stihl is really the only way to go.

But don't count out the little Makitamar 401, built like a pro saw with a vertically split magnesium case and easily built/rebuilt cylinder and piston. You can get one for around 250.00 which is cheap enough in my book.

If you have a Dolmar dealer near you (and ONLY if you have one near you), I would definitely take Erick's advice. Dolmar is making some pretty good saws, and their very small saws tend to be more toward pro quality than the very small saws of Husky or Stilhl.

And if you can indeed get one for $250, I think that's the way to go for what you're looking for.

Im getting closer

Well, im certainly getting closer. I do have a Dolmar authorized dealer nearby. Is there a particular Dolmar model i should be checking out? Something lightweight for cutting up 10" and under? Looking for the "two saw plan" to accompany my MS361. Thanks to all. Im getting something in within the next day or two.

Amicks sell them. The little Dolmars look like nice machines (resist the urge) at reasonable prices (put the credit card away). I would get one but I don't want another chainsaw (because I already have a 6401!).:cheers:

I can recommend 346XP new edition. I bought one about a month ago at the county Co-op, a dealer for Husqvarna. Mine has a 18" bar. before I bought it I weighed it on a scale at the sales counter. Without any fuel or oil it weighed 11 1/3 lb.

It's a great little saw, but it's not cheap. I Paid $454 for it, plus tax, which is about 30% more than I thought I would spend on a new saw. But to me it just looked like a quality product and it came with a 2 year warranty. I wanted a good saw because I'm the kind of guy, who if he likes what he has will keep it a long time, and there's nothing I hate more than to buy something and find myself wishing I had bought something else. I'll pay more to keep that from happening and never look back.

It's a fast cutter with the 18" bar, but I bet with a 16" bar it would really fly and be a bit lighter for the smaller stuff. I have no idea what it would weigh with the 16" bar.

With the wood I have already cut with it I figure I have just about paid for it with what I will save on my heating bill this winter. :)

That's my two cents worth.

Cs400

For what you want be sure not to miss the Echo CS400. It's a new model of saw and should be perfect for what you want, plus they have a 5 year consumer warranty. I have a CS370 which is slightly smaller and it is the easiest saw to run that I own. Perfect for limbing, starts easy, great antivibe, and it's quiet. Think about it.............much less fatigue running a light smooth quiet saw. Those cheap Stihl models like the MS180 will be your most hated posession is you have to use them much. Cheap plastic toys that vibrate like mad. Do yourself a favor, find an Echo dealer and just go run a CS400, then decide for yourself.

Narrowing it down, a bit.

I Just got back from local dealer. He phoned me with a price for a Dolmar 401 which looks like the saw for my needs. He said its been replaced by CS420 at $309.Has a 16 blade but comes in at 10+ pounds.A bit heavier than i would like. I see they are available online. The dealer did like Dolmar alot but really pushed the ECHO CS-360T. It weights 8.1lbs so that seems about as good as im going to get. My new question is about top handle models. Ive never used one. Will it fit the bill for trimming up downed stuff of should i get the rear handle model? Im not going with the Stihl, i love my 361 but didnt like the cheaper smaller models feel. Just my opinion. Dolmar by mail or Echo locally.

New Dolmar 420??? about right, someone posted a thread and video a little while back. Mag case and all the pro goodies. They seemed to like it a whole lot:chainsaw: :)

Not that much lighter than the NE346xp really, at a loss of one full hp - I guess not........

Last edited:
I Just got back from local dealer. He phoned me with a price for a Dolmar 401 which looks like the saw for my needs. He said its been replaced by CS420 at $309.Has a 16 blade but comes in at 10+ pounds.A bit heavier than i would like. I see they are available online. The dealer did like Dolmar alot but really pushed the ECHO CS-360T. It weights 8.1lbs so that seems about as good as im going to get. My new question is about top handle models. Ive never used one. Will it fit the bill for trimming up downed stuff of should i get the rear handle model? Im not going with the Stihl, i love my 361 but didnt like the cheaper smaller models feel. Just my opinion. Dolmar by mail or Echo locally.

Looks like what you need is a (rear handle) MS200 or 339xp, preferably the Husky - by all means avoid top-handles for that use!

I wouldn't recommend a top handle for bucking the main trunk of a tree (use the 361 for that), but I do prefer a top handle for doing all my limbing. Now I'm talking <6" limbs here, anything larger use the 361.

Some guys are totally against using a top handle on the ground, but I'm at the oposite extreme and use my top handles on the ground all the time and actually feel safer and feel as I have more control with the top handle saws while doing limbing. In fact, I have little to no use for a small rear handle saw (although I own some).

If you want a light top handle, get the 192T... it's a real featherweight (<7 lbs) and an excellent saw. If you have the coin, get a 200T, but they are pretty expensive...

I got my Echo CS300 top handle for windfall. Though this Echo is absolutely reliable, I would only purchase a rear handle from now on-just my personal preference.

While the Dolmar 420 is not a 346XP, it also doesnt have the same price tag on it, either.

What about a 16 inch bar on you 361? much cheaper and you already got one hellova saw. just my 2 cents:cheers:

Rear handle definately, and in my opinion it would be the echo cs520 or stihl ms270 which responds awesome to a muffler modd.

Latest posts

Back