Need advice for new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micah5634

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Iam new on here and have read as many product reviews as i can find. I have not cut wood in 10 years so iam a little out of date on saws.Propane got so hight this year i bought a new wood furnance so iam in the market for a new saw. iI want to stay with a local dealer so i have husky/stihl /jonered or shindaiwa my budget is 500.00 and mostof the wood i will be cutting is oak 10-18 inch any advice would be very helpful.

Well, if you are looking NEW and your $500 budget is inflexible

MS 310 plus a pair of chaps will be just over 500 by the time you add tax and or extra goodies.

If you are looking to spend extra - MS 361. It's a nice jack of all trades saw.

If neither of those excite you, I would look for a used saw on CL or here.

One saw will never cut it. More than likely you will get "pinched" or hit something and dull the chain on most outings. Instead of wasting precious time trying to free the bar when you get one stuck, grab the back up saw and cut her free in seconds. Waste a chain, no problem, grab the back-up saw and keep cutting, mess around with changing chains between outings.

If all you are doing is cutting firewood for home heating, small stuff less than 18", you can get two medium size Echo saws, a good splitting maul, and a log lift and still make the budget.

Although there is nothing overly impressive about any of Echo saws we own/use, they start with one or two pulls, run flawlessly, VERY thrifty on fuel, and never, ever, give us any troubles anyplace requiring anything other than "normal" maintenence.

Even being a tried and true Husqvarna fan, there is not need to spend a lot of money on high end Husqvarna's, or even the better Stihl saws, just to cut small stuff for home heating......Cliff

Iam new on here and have read as many product reviews as i can find. I have not cut wood in 10 years so iam a little out of date on saws.Propane got so hight this year i bought a new wood furnance so iam in the market for a new saw. iI want to stay with a local dealer so i have husky/stihl /jonered or shindaiwa my budget is 500.00 and mostof the wood i will be cutting is oak 10-18 inch any advice would be very helpful.

Well for what your doing the best bang for the buck probably would be a
Stihl MS290 or a Husqvarna 455. Personally I probably would go with the
Stihl.... Jonsered 2159 is another great saw for under 500 bucks but your not going to have much left for your PPE... A must!!!!:cheers:

I was looking at the 310 or husky 460 but i see they have a plactic motor housing i don't know abot that on my budget it's 500 for the saw only i already bought a pair of chaps helmet and hearing protection. I did find a new shindaiwa 488 for 360.00 out the door and a husky NE 346xp for 490.00
I liked the stihl 361 but at 640.00 out the door just a little out of my reach.

Nope, totally duds considering the weight :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

What should he get then? He can't throw out $600 on a 361, the 290 is the next best thing. Face it troll, the 290 is Stihl's best seller for a reason.:chainsaw:

I wonder if he has a Dolmar dealer nearby. The 5100 would be my second choice.

I was looking at the 310 or husky 460 but i see they have a plactic motor housing i don't know abot that on my budget it's 500 for the saw only i already bought a pair of chaps helmet and hearing protection. I did find a new shindaiwa 488 for 360.00 out the door and a husky NE 346xp for 490.00
I liked the stihl 361 but at 6440.00 out the door just a little out of my reach.

Theres several saws in the trading post here that might interest you.

I would like to look at the 5100 but the closest dealer is 125 miles away i called them and the said 419.00 plus tax. any thoghts on the shindaiwa 488 for 360.00

I'm a huge advocate of the MS 310. It's a great saw with plenty of power for what you'll be doing. I don't mind the weight. It doesn't feel too heavy to me...

The Dolmar 5100 is supposed to be an excellent saw. If you can find a dealer near you, it would definately be worth looking into.

(EDIT: Looks like I was too slow, but the 5100 will come highly recommended by most people on this site.)

I think Troll just doesn't like 290 or 310 because he has seen the light that is the MS 361....

Good luck with choice and be safe!!

:cheers:

Last edited:
the husky 359 or jonsered 2159 seems tempting but i see they have a cat muffler on them does that make a difference? How does the ne346xp compare to the 359 they are within 20.00 of each other.

ive been reading all the stihl posts i can, it always comes down to some one recomending the 361 or the 5100 for everything. nearest 5100 is 40 miles. its hard to justify 600+ for a saw for firewood. im not an enthusiast i just want a saw that will cut 3-4 cords a year without breaking down all the time.

if the 361 is that much better than the 290 or 310 i would like to know why. weight is not that much of a factor for me.

Back