Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem is I hate having a saw apart or one that does not operate so I limit buying them until if fix the one's I have. I have 3 or 4 I an working on now. Parts on the other hand I will by all day everyday.

My problem is I hate having a saw apart or one that does not operate so I limit buying them until if fix the one's I have. I have 3 or 4 I an working on now. Parts on the other hand I will by all day everyday.

I wouldn't be able to tell which saws are fixable and what are parts saws at best. Where in MD are you?

Well my PP405 has developed another issue. Fixed reed valve assembly leak but saw wouldn't start. Looked at carb and it was very oiley. Peaked in fuel tank and saw a small oil slick. Apparently bar oil is seeping in. Does the case gasket seperate the fuel and oil tanks? If so I imagine I will need to replace the gasket by splitting the case. That likely means making a new gasket. Is my diagnosis correct?

Bob

Well my PP405 has developed another issue. Fixed reed valve assembly leak but saw wouldn't start. Looked at carb and it was very oiley. Peaked in fuel tank and saw a small oil slick. Apparently bar oil is seeping in. Does the case gasket seperate the fuel and oil tanks? If so I imagine I will need to replace the gasket by splitting the case. That likely means making a new gasket. Is my diagnosis correct?

Bob

Bob,

I believe there is a divider between the tanks that sometimes falls out. I think most guys just JB Weld them back in place. The Pioneer guys would be able to tell you for sure. I am sure you will have to split the case.
Did you get the service manual for that series? If so, look at page 50-5. I think you can see the plate in the photo's
Make sure you measure the location on the crank snout of the oil pump worm gear before you pull it off.

That looks like a nice little haul you made Guido. The 4900 in decent shape?

Don't know yet, I hurriedly unloaded them and stashed them away before my wife got home. I plan to pull them out tomorrow to see what I have. The good news is I got another 4900 in the haul from the closed dealer in March so I can hopefully make one.

Don't know yet, I hurriedly unloaded them and stashed them away before my wife got home. I plan to pull them out tomorrow to see what I have. The good news is I got another 4900 in the haul from the closed dealer in March so I can hopefully make one.

Nice, well like you said hopefully you'll have at least one good one out of the 2 plus spare parts.

Is there something special about a 4900?

all big Poulan countervibes from the 4200 on up are special. Old school reed valve grunt with good AV. You would have to spend $800 or more to match the performance with a modern saw. And the new saw won't sound as good.:D

Oh, not really, I collect them for the hell of it...

image.jpg

Carb kit came yesterday for one of my 5200's, hopefully going to install it tonight. Anybody wear rubber gloves when working on carbs just to make sure the carb stays clean?

I always clean the carb well externally before it even comes off of the saw. Nothing worse then a nugget of crap falling into the intake and then tumble into the cylinder. Just lay out a clean towel, use a clean pick when setting the spring and make sure all cleaner (organic solvents) have evaporated out of the carb if those new diaphragms are not going to see fuel immediately. Gloves are nice if your fingers are cracked/cut open especially when acetone or other solvents in carb cleaner find their way into those cracks. Acetone and toluene in a cut will demand your full attention!

You might even find yourself cussing.

Latest posts

Back