Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
361 original bar and Poulan chain
4f467f6019b1dda81c4be8dfae7ff834.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

A good reason the keep the foam filter around the manual oiler rod in place on the 3400 - 4000 saws.

I've never seen one this packed. The PO must have cut quite a bit with a dull chain. The rest of the saw was very clean inside.

View attachment 462461
Can you post a pic where the foam block goes and a pic of just the foam block, mine or the parts saw I have doesn't have one.

Steve

There are two filters made from filter foam. The first pic shows the location of the filter that blocks the opening to the oil pump area.

Cut a cube that is a little bit larger (height and width), poke a hole through the center of it so the manual pump rod will slide through it and trap the filter in the channel centered under the screw boss just above my finger in the pic. I haven't made that one up yet but I think about 5/8" - 3/4" long and snug in the channel. Just make sure it blocks off the opening when the oil pump area cover (piece of aluminum held on with 4 screws) is installed.
Nothing precise, just plug the hole

DSCF2759.JPG

This is the filter foam that slides through the opening in the front of the oil pump. Make sure it doesn't touch the pintle (the button with the shaft and spring that goes into the center hole).

DSCF2758.JPG

There are two filters made from filter foam. The first pic shows the location of the filter that blocks the opening to the oil pump area.

Cut a cube that is a little bit larger (height and width), poke a hole through the center of it so the manual pump rod will slide through it and trap the filter in the channel centered under the screw boss just above my finger in the pic. I haven't made that one up yet but I think about 5/8" - 3/4" long and snug in the channel. Just make sure it blocks off the opening when the oil pump area cover (piece of aluminum held on with 4 screws) is installed.
Nothing precise, just plug the hole

View attachment 462583

This is the filter foam that slides through the opening in the front of the oil pump. Make sure it doesn't touch the pintle (the button with the shaft and spring that goes into the center hole).

View attachment 462591

This is a bit of a flash back. Had to do this exactly to my 375. Posted the pics on this thread too

Anybody know if the 361/306 rings are available anywhere? Everything looks good in the 361 after tearing into it last night but I want to replace the rings on it. There is one on ebay, but I want to replace both.

Search for the old thread "substitute 2577 Poulan rings", you fit the ring end gap to the bore, minus the keeper pin diameter. Instead of a drill bit for the spacer, you can snap a piece of the old ring off and turn it sideways to fill the gap, as they're 1/16" thick too.

Homelite part number 59436 1A, the Greek still stocks them in Caber brand

Search for the old thread "substitute 2577 Poulan rings", you fit the ring end gap to the bore, minus the keeper pin diameter. Instead of a drill bit for the spacer, you can snap a piece of the old ring off and turn it sideways to fill the gap, as they're 1/16" thick too.

Homelite part number 59436 1A, the Greek still stocks them in Caber brand

Thanks hotshot, I'll have to look up that thread.

On this 4200 cylinder, there are these 2 low spots that are different color silver. Is this plating loss? If so this cylinder is garbage correct?

20151119_225216.jpg

I know I have asked this before. 4200 4000? Which could carry the longer bar with authority? I have seen a 36" on a 4200 but did not see it run. 24" on a 4000

I know I have asked this before. 4200 4000? Which could carry the longer bar with authority? I have seen a 36" on a 4200 but did not see it run. 24" on a 4000

The 4200 without doubt is way stronger than the 4000. Just from my experience with both, and I do like them both, and use them more than any others. The 4000 is best suited with 20" bar, but can handle 24", if needed. The 4200 likes a 24", but can handle a 28" if needed.

A 28" will make a 4200 work, buried in big wood. But then thats why you need a 5200 with a 28"-32" bar. LOL
These are just my opinions, from use in mostly Ash & Oak. Others may have different opinions, or different types of trees they cut most, with different results.

Gregg,

I like those #'s. 4000 is a beast with a 20". None of my 4200 have more than a 21" bar on them. I am going to change that.

My 6900 has a 24" bar on it

Back