Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm back guys......the 3800 didn't turn out so well...initially....got it altogether and it tried to start but failed and then was non-responsive......seemed flooded...let it sit overnight with the plug out and tried it again yesterday morning....again it tried...fired on a couple strokes then was all done......no amount of yanking with the throttle wide open would produce even a pop. I pulled the carb completely off and gave it a pull.....took right off and ran away to the point where I had to hit the kill switch twice before it burned off the extra fuel in the crankcase and stalled. Took the metering section off the carb and found the metering lever way to high.....I set this flush initially but the spring must have been ginked or valve caught up somehow......but got it reset correctly and worked it a number of times to assure it would return to the proper setting at rest. Put it all back together and it started and ran first pull......got the carb dialed in and it runs and idles perfectly. I can see why it has such a good following.....it has very respectable manners for a 60cc saw......idle is very smooth and steady...and acceleration the same.....as was said it is no 630 Jonsered....not even a 625/61 Husky really though they are all the same size more or less but it is a real solid feeling, steady running saw non the less.....

Tried to take some pics yesterday once I got it running properly but the battery in the camera was to low...I'll get some today...

And once again thank you all very much for your help on this project.....it made all the difference in the world.....different saw than I'm used to working on but you guys made it seem familiar....THANKS!!!!

He had my MODEL 91 parts I needed. Said know one had ever asked him for that MODEL parts

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Here's a few pics of the 3800 all back together and running fine.....work done was new fuel and vent lines, carb UC cleaning and full carb kit, hand made new oil pump gaskets, new cyl base gasket, piston decarbonized, ign air gap set to 0.012" on both legs, chain ground fresh, bar rails dressed, ground and squared.....guess that's about it ...Oh....new inner and out chain plates....almost forgot them as they are not here yet....old ones were pretty torn up...

DSC_0231.JPG DSC_0232.JPG DSC_0233.JPG DSC_0234.JPG DSC_0235.JPG

13-15 ft lbs
Thanks. Got it running and discovered the previous owner put an extra vent hole in the oil tank by shoving the bar adjuster through it.:( That's sad because the crank bearings are tight and it has very good compression. I cleaned up the auto pump, put a new oring in the manual pump, and a new donut sponge filter in the diaphragm. It oils like the Valdez. Then the end uncurled on the starter spring so I heated it and put a new hook on the end. New fuel line and filter routed behind the coil so it doesn't rub the flywheel. Gave the carb a bath in Marvel Mystery oil with the US. I didn't have a new kit on hand. Had it tuned great, cuts good, plenty of power, and idled fine. Then, I let it cool while I was fixing the starter and it didn't run right until I filled it up with fuel. It wasn't empty, but it was low. Hit the throttle and it fell flat. These saws certainly suck the gas. If it acts up again I'll get a carb kit for it.

This fascinates me. Discuss this vs. more typical "water + simple green" or whatever type US cleaning solutions, please.

I normally use the dollar store awesome, but I didn't want to destroy the gaskets and diaphragms. That stuff is such a high alkaline that it can attack the aluminum. You can follow up with white vinegar to counter the effects of the awesome. I read it on this site to use the mystery oil for carbs. The favorite seems to be seafoam, but it's expensive so I haven't tried it. I use it in a glass jelly jar with the top on loose.

And put the jar into the US full of water. Like, water in US, MMO in jar, right?
Yes, put the parts in the little glass jar with the MMO, US full of water and matching level of MMO in the jar. I used the US heater, not sure if that's dangerous with the MMO. Cycled 4 times I think.

I normally use the dollar store awesome, but I didn't want to destroy the gaskets and diaphragms. That stuff is such a high alkaline that it can attack the aluminum. You can follow up with white vinegar to counter the effects of the awesome. I read it on this site to use the mystery oil for carbs. The favorite seems to be seafoam, but it's expensive so I haven't tried it. I use it in a glass jelly jar with the top on loose.

I've been using Sea Foam for a long time. I do think it's the best. As far as the cost goes, I recycle it. I put the dirty stuff through a coffee filter and use it again.
I've been using the can I'm on for over a year.

Latest posts

Back