Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were some reproduction pistons and some replated cylinders way back when. If I recall correctly, Gregg has one in one of his. I believe he said the piston ring pins were in the same place rather than rotated.

He may be along to confirm that or not.

Wow! You have a pretty good memory for an old geezer Tim! :D The p/c set that I had was re-bored & chromed. After market piston, don't know who made them, were a little different than stock pistons. Locating pins were different, shape of skirt in transfer area was different, shorter pin, and piston was around 1 mm wider as I recall. Chris (CBFarmall) said that should make it 88cc instead of 85cc. I don't think what I had is the same as what Nate came across. Mine was made or at least sold by an outfit in Jasper Missouri, as I recall.

Stock one on the left.
5200Piston019.jpg

5200Piston020.jpg

5200%20PampC%20006_zpso1a7wxpn.jpg

Gregg,

Wow! You have a pretty good memory for an old geezer Tim! :D The p/c set that I had was re-bored & chromed. After market piston, don't know who made them, were a little different than stock pistons. Locating pins were different, shape of skirt in transfer area was different, shorter pin, and piston was around 1 mm wider as I recall. Chris (CBFarmall) said that should make it 88cc instead of 85cc. I don't think what I had is the same as what Nate came across. Mine was made or at least sold by an outfit in Jasper Missouri, as I recall.

Stock one on the left. Gregg,

That rechroming on the cylinder looks like the Sunbelt set I bought for the P3700 a while back.

They took a 3400 cylinder & bored it to a 3700 bore & made new pistons.

Actually good quality parts, but the downside is that rings are 1/16" width & you probably could never
find replacements! The piston looks like the P3700 piston that Lil Red sells....standard rings.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-thread.98495/page-1830#post-5584148

Stock one on the left.
5200Piston019.jpg

5200Piston020.jpg

5200%20PampC%20006_zpso1a7wxpn.jpg

Gregg,

Thanks for the pics Gregg, that is different from the ones I found. The skirts on mine are like the nos ones and has the same number stamped on the inside as an nos one. But locating pins are different, really weird.

Wow! Surprised that Poulan ran the tap that close to the inside of the crankcase.

Question 2: I cleaned out the oiler. Couldn't tell if it was old grease or old bar oil. With what should I lube the gears?

Thanks!

Wow! Surprised that Poulan ran the tap that close to the inside of the crankcase.

Question 2: I cleaned out the oiler. Couldn't tell if it was old grease or old bar oil. With what should I lube the gears?

Thanks!
Do you have a new top end going back in?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Grease

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

New fun... Were there two revisions of the 245?

The scored piston, from the later, solid state saw is 2" diameter.

The good piston, from the earlier points saw is 1.78 inches. Which is roughly... What? 1 3/4"?

I know that some (most?) 245 parts are interchangeable with 306's, but I thought the crank was not.

Or is there an off chance that someone had swapped out the top end with one from a 245 Super? Anyone have piston size on it?

Thanks as always!

--JC

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back