Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured I'd put this in here.

View attachment 297583

My Poulan 2075. Got it for free. It may have been my grandfathers but IDK. It didn't want to start at first but after running it for awhile it is better. Doesn't like to idle and no matter of fettling with the carb adjustments seems to help. Probably going to tear it down after I get my dad's saw going and replace all the fuel lines, fuel filter and air filter.

Figured I'd put this in here.

View attachment 297583

My Poulan 2075. Got it for free. It may have been my grandfathers but IDK. It didn't want to start at first but after running it for awhile it is better. Doesn't like to idle and no matter of fettling with the carb adjustments seems to help. Probably going to tear it down after I get my dad's saw going and replace all the fuel lines, fuel filter and air filter.

Every single one of those kind of poulans I have taken apart had plugged or near plugged screens in the carb. It won't ever tune or run correctly until that is addressed. Just count on new lines, filter, carb cleaning and/or kit, etc.

I'd like to get th seal numbers when you find out what they are, Mark.

Steve, the flywheel side Poulan #1936 is the same as one of the 306 seals but I don't have the numbers in front of me at this minute. I have some NOS seals coming for the clutch side and will make sure to measure them up for future reference.

Steve, the flywheel side Poulan #1936 is the same as one of the 306 seals but I don't have the numbers in front of me at this minute. I have some NOS seals coming for the clutch side and will make sure to measure them up for future reference.

Thanks, Mark. I had my 72 at the GTG and had it running on Friday. Had run it very little before that, but notice when it got warm it revved too high and I wasn't able to adjust it out. Really peeved me off because I was looking forward to checking it out there where I had some wood to run it in. Catch me later if you can when you get the numbers together. Would sure appreciate it. Should be a pretty hot saw to run with a bow with that reduction drive. My 66 is one of my favorite saws to run with 1/2" chain, it's smaller displacement. You can stand it on it's nose and there's no tendency to bog.

There's a nice grey Craftsman 2.3 branded 2400 listed about two hours from me. If I was already heading that way I'd be grabbing it. I'd like to find a PP236.

Same with me. If this 2400 was next door I would throw it on the shelf to pass on. But I aint driving for it. :laugh: My time and gas is worth more to me.

The PP236 I bought as a parts saw for the 2100 back in the day for just in case. Got 236 running but dont stay running. Sounds like it needed seals and bearings and I dug no further into it and put it on the shelf.
2100 is being give away soon and the 236 wont be needed. :msp_wink: I think there is a thread with some pics some where. :msp_wink:

I got this nice little Poulan 2300 the other day.
297347d1369628334-3-jpg

As I do with all my used saws, I dumped the fuel that it came with and filled it with ethanol free mix and topped filled the oil tank and ran it to purge whatever it might have had in the fuel system. I then dumped the fuel back into my can and dumped the chain oil back into the chain oil can. The chain oil came out all milky like it was infused with air bubbles. The oiler seems to not put out as much oil as I thought it should. Any idea what is going on with the chain oiler? I have never lorked on one of these before. :confused::confused::confused:

I have never seen bar oil that looked "milky" before when returning it to the jug.:dizzy:

The oil tank is pressurized by venting crank case pressure into the oil tank. There is a one way valve behind the clutch cover. It screws into the crank case. It looks like a large bolt head or a slotted fitting. Inside that sealed valve is a duckbill valve. There is a plate with two screws behind the clutch cover that holds a filter, and a hose which goes from the filter to the oil outlet for the bar. The oil hose is actually the outlet.
I have one and that valve in the crankcase has failed. I am waiting for a duck bill to repair it. New ones are NLA but are out there.
I'm assuming if you have aire bubbles in the oil that your issue is from the filter to the outlet but that's only a guess.

There's a nice grey Craftsman 2.3 branded 2400 listed about two hours from me. If I was already heading that way I'd be grabbing it. I'd like to find a PP236.

I have a 236 that I bought new about 20 years ago at a now closed John Deere dealer. I haven't run it in a couple of years, but will try to remember to haul it back with me the next time I am in VA and bring it to the Poulan GTG this fall.

This is the only picture I can find of it (front row).

Poulanfamilyportrait002.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a bar mount index for Poulan saws? The chain saw collectors site seems to be lacking in that department. The ones I am interested in are the Oregon mounts for the Poulan 3400/3700/3800, Poulan 4200,5200, Poulan 8500. I have a 196 mount that "seems" to fit my 4200, it is similar to the 009 mount as near as I can tell. What is the "large mount Husky" number? Thanks...so many saws...so many bars....:confused:

D009 is the 9mm slot large Husky (372, etc) mount. 3400-4000/PP375-395 series, 200/300 series, 360-451 series, and 4200/5200 (and some 4400/4900/5400) have 5/16" studs and take D176 bars.

They can use 3/8"slot D096/D196 and UXL Homelite XL-mount, and 3/8" slot D007 Pioneer mount bars with a 'spring' or 'S' spacer on the studs. Some of these saws were sold with Windsor UXL bars and 'S' spacers, as Windsor never made a 5/16" slot D176 style bar.

6900/7700/8500 and later 4400/4900/5400 saws have 3/8" studs and take the D096/D196, UXL, and D007 mount bars without spacers. Clear as mud Steve?:D

Last edited:
Steve, You hit that on the head..The Kinship (Poulan or otherwise). Most of the fellas on here just can't imagine what its like to sit around the kitchen table drinking coffee and discussing saws and other important stuff, LOL is like with the likes of 67Mustang, rms61moparman, Igpoe, Super3, and myself. That was a treat for me!!! Just hope we can repeat it sometime. To bad ModifiedMark & CBFarmall weren't here that morning. One of the true great moments in my dull life..LOL

:cheers:
Gregg,

Many thanks again Greg as I too remember it fondly. After this GTG and the others I've been to I'm reminded that as much as I study on the saws, it's the People that provide the real memories! Keep up the good work my friend and check on little sisters' dance steps for me, will 'ya? Sure glad that vid has been deleted, or I hope it has.
Igpoe:cheers:

Many thanks again Greg as I too remember it fondly. After this GTG and the others I've been to I'm reminded that as much as I study on the saws, it's the People that provide the real memories! Keep up the good work my friend and check on little sisters' dance steps for me, will 'ya? Sure glad that vid has been deleted, or I hope it has.

Let me be the first to assure you, the memory of "that vid" will forever live in some of our memories! :hmm3grin2orange:

No point rubbing out a great video of friends having a good time

Dean - IGPOE - Like you never knew him before!!! - YouTube

Latest posts

Back