Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best advice I can think of for pulling one all apart is to keep all the fasteners, brackets etc for sub assemblies together in containers and label them if you need to and take lots of pics when you are pulling it apart.
If you can find a repair manual, that's a big help.
If you decide to get to it later after you pull it apart, this really helps of you're not familiar with the saw.

If you're over 50, don't put anything anywhere "safe" so you will be able to find it. All in one box is best.

I agree with Tim. Taking lots of pictures can be a big help. I have taken lots of saws completely down and split the cases on them. Some of them I split cases on were because they needed welding and others for new bearings. I even have a Husqvarna K960 concrete saw that I split the case on and put in a new crank and bearings. I took lots of pics with my phone and it paid off because I took it apart and did not put back together until 2 months later.

Very nice Nate! It is a small world. I have the 4hp version which looks real close to yours. They are strong runners Never had any problems with it other than braking a shear pin hogging it in 18 inches of snow - 2010 blizzard that came up through PA. Parts are nowhere to be found so I made a new one... There should be a model and serial # stamped in the back on the frame just above where the gear changer goes in. The metal tag on the engine is only the engine model and serial #.

I have the 1969-78 parts and repair manual. If you ever need anything PM me and I'll do what I can to get you the info. If you give me the model and serial number I can tell you the year manufactured. :)

Thanks! This one is the 4hp version as well. I went to the place I pick saw parts and pulled an new starter assembly for mine yesterday, bolted it up last night and it runs like a top! From what I can tell and what I've found online it's an early 70's model. The tag on the engine is an HS40 55265B. I have to find the # on the frame still, just haven't looked yet.

Thanks! This one is the 4hp version as well. I went to the place I pick saw parts and pulled an new starter assembly for mine yesterday, bolted it up last night and it runs like a top! From what I can tell and what I've found online it's an early 70's model. The tag on the engine is an HS40 55265B. I have to find the # on the frame still, just haven't looked yet.

PM'd some web links that I found today. There's a whole forum for snowblowers like we do chainsaws! Check out some of the snowblower restorations. They are incredible!

I have never had to take one all the way down . Carb kits and seals . One intake gasket .
I would love to learn how But the local community college no longer has a class on 2 strokes
I've totally taken apart several 3400's. Split case replaced bearings, seals, etc. even repainted a few. My first one was my 3400 I bough new in the late 7o's or early 80's. Just used it in Vermont and it still runs great.

how many of us actually restore saws? i mean take them down to split cases and rebuild them? i actually do not, i have repaired them from that level and prettied them up a good bit but never taken them down all the way, My sand cast saws i have had several all the way apart though.
That would be me... 100_4568 (Medium).JPG

how many of us actually restore saws? i mean take them down to split cases and rebuild them? i actually do not, i have repaired them from that level and prettied them up a good bit but never taken them down all the way, My sand cast saws i have had several all the way apart though.

I did on my 3700. Split case and resealed. Didn't replace the bearings though.

I have split 4 or 5 to put in new bearings. It's not hard. Just have to use a little common sense and take your time. I find that bad things happen when I get in a hurry.

Would anyone change color on a saw? I like being different, I think I would but no idea what color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

? No one, I'm alone on this?

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Back