Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the paint I got for it.
d44b4cc618a5c952bb4b22e678a4d870.jpg

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

did not like that 2x ultra. bout 6 coats to...

IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1362.JPGcover that. granted, green is hardest color to cover. why rest is tremclad black. green should cover in 3.

Hi all I have a question and thought I would ask it in here. I have a PP-225 I bought this from an Arborist site member this winter. It appears to have been used very very little.
I have not run it much maybe 15-20 minutes but it seems to have an issue. It starts pretty good choke it till it pops maybe 8 pulls or so then choke off and 1 or 2 more and it is running. When I start to cut with it , it runs good for maybe 10 -20 seconds then it begins to hog up and die out. If you are lucky you can pump the heck out of the throttle and it may stay running if not it will stall.
Then one pull and it is running again, and may run till your done with the cut with no more issues or it may begin to hog up again and you have to blip the throttle over and over to keep it running.
I had read some place that the gas line routing lends itself to pinching off and starving it for fuel?DSCF0464.JPG I also wonder if maybe the carb just needs to be tweaked a little ? Like maybe the low speed jet needs to be opened up a bit? What do you guys think? I have not opened it up to check this issue I did look at the fuel line when I got the saw and it did look slightly pinched . I moved it back and forth some to make it a smoother path way to the carb it may have moved again. I apologize for thread jumping so if you wish to answer but are in the middle of another discussion I will gladly wait my turn. Thanks Jeff

Hi all I have a question and thought I would ask it in here. I have a PP-225 I bought this from an Arborist site member this winter. It appears to have been used very very little.
I have not run it much maybe 15-20 minutes but it seems to have an issue. It starts pretty good choke it till it pops maybe 8 pulls or so then choke off and 1 or 2 more and it is running. When I start to cut with it , it runs good for maybe 10 -20 seconds then it begins to hog up and die out. If you are lucky you can pump the heck out of the throttle and it may stay running if not it will stall.
Then one pull and it is running again, and may run till your done with the cut with no more issues or it may begin to hog up again and you have to blip the throttle over and over to keep it running.
I had read some place that the gas line routing lends itself to pinching off and starving it for fuel?View attachment 588667 I also wonder if maybe the carb just needs to be tweaked a little ? Like maybe the low speed jet needs to be opened up a bit? What do you guys think? I have not opened it up to check this issue I did look at the fuel line when I got the saw and it did look slightly pinched . I moved it back and forth some to make it a smoother path way to the carb it may have moved again. I apologize for thread jumping so if you wish to answer but are in the middle of another discussion I will gladly wait my turn. Thanks Jeff

It's very common to either have a pinched or kinked fuel line. Pull the clutch cover off and make sure it's not kinked between the rear handle and the tank. If it's OK there pull the handle apart and make sure it's not pinched inside the handle and that it's in the notch where it passes from the handle to the cab box.

They do take quite a few pulls to get the fuel to the carb when they haven't been run for a while. A carb kit is a good choice as the pump diaphragm needs to be in good shape.

Also have a look inside the carb box when it is running to make sure you don't see any air bubbles in the fuel line which could mean it gas a small hole in it. if it did get pinched at some point that can happen as well.

Sounds like the pump diaphragm is working..., or trying to. When you're finished with the fuel line inspection (including the filter), check the condition of the air filter for possible deterioration and definitely tear the carb down to check the diaphragms and inspect the inlet screen for debris. Those air filters can turn to dust over the years and clutter up a carb pretty fast when they do.

Ok thank you both,... it will be a little while before I can get into it but I will. I do think it is a fuel issue pinched line, dried out pump diaphragm , or maybe bad / dirty fuel filter. I will also take a look at the air filter while I am at it. I will take photos as I go too just for the heck of it. This is a very nice saw and I don't want to do anything to harm it ya know? We are traveling up north tomorrow but maybe sometime Wednesday I can look it over closely.

Well my Franken Poulan 505 I tore back down because it was not running right. I decided while I had it apart to install a Stihl MS660 piston. I bought one of the meteor pistons and installed with a stock base gasket. The old OEM piston was worn pretty good and I noticed a lot of slop around the skirt. Saw now has a little better squish and is now taching 14,200 and still 4 stroking good. I am not sure who figured out that conversion but all in all it was pretty simple to do.

This time I pressure checked and vacuum checked the crank case. Passed with flying colors. It turns out the issue with it not running right was the carb. The last thing I expected. So now it has a Jonsered fuel tank the Poulan 505 crankcase and a MS660 piston. Really is a Franken saw now, but it is a runner.

View attachment 588407

Cool saw! Jonsered fuel tank. What model jonsered are in the same family?

I took a little time this long weekend and put together a 3400 with a 3700 top end and ran it side by side with a 3400, the difference is notable. Thanks again to Redunshee for the starter pulley. I thought you might enjoy seeing the later development on securing the rope since there was some discussion about this a few pages back.

20170703_170926.1.jpg

20170704_165741.1.jpg

Does anyone know where I can find one or two of the foam tank seals for the 3400/3700/3800 model? I find both PN 19093 and 19122 depending on which IPL I look at.

Mark

Now i'm wanting to get ino a hOle nother famity of saw. This CAD thing is a b****. What are the model numbers on the poulan side besides 505?

PP 415 425 445 475 505. 425 445 505 are the updated ones.

Jred only had 2077 2083II and 2083

Partner had 660 710 7700

The 70.7cc quad port is my favorite cylinder on them.

65cc 71cc quad ported, 77cc 83cc single trans on each side aka dual transfers like 046 066 etc.

pp445415475505425.jpg

PP 415 425 445 475 505. 425 445 505 are the updated ones.

Jred only had 2077 2083II and 2083

Partner had 660 710 7700

The 70.7cc quad port is my favorite cylinder on them.

65cc 71cc quad ported, 77cc 83cc single trans on each side aka dual transfers like 046 066 etc.

View attachment 589033

So the 415 I just bought with low compression would be 65cc with quad port?

Latest posts

Back