OK,WHAT IS YOUR MOST DEPENDABLE FIREWOOD SAW?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goto saw for everything is my husky 2101. She's a pig that starts every time. Just recently put a new bottome end in her and she's as good as the day I got her.
yupp! them old dog's never know when to leave after kickin- em around for a few years! usually have had there lower end rubbed raw and kerosened once or twice with a new bearing for life ! kinda dumb how them danged ole things just stay around for a few more years of abuse and neglect......???????????????????? but they still know how to keep you warm.

yupp! them old dog's never know when to leave after kickin- em around for a few years! usually have had there lower end rubbed raw and kerosened once or twice with a new bearing for life ! kinda dumb how them danged ole things just stay around for a few more years of abuse and neglect......???????????????????? but they still know how to keep you warm.

She has cut a bunch of wood for me, and never complained. She's even helped out at work. I wouldn't have a new saw, I'll just keep building her as long as I can find parts

I was content with my old 029 super and 025 for a bunch of years, but now with the saws in my SIG no size tree is safe. I'm the guy in the neighborhood my friends call to drop the big ones.
An 029Supa tuned right is a good rig.

One was my first

Echo CS 340. Hit priming bulb 5 times. Pull choke out. Pull cord 2x, push choke off, hold throttle open. Pull cord and let off of the throttle. I don't care how long it's been sitting, it'll be running after that. That's been the starting procedure since 2004.

460 Rancher. For me, that's my newest saw that everything works on and starts easy etc. The others are all old,beat and cranky.

I own far too many saws to follow the rules in these "one saw" threads, but I guess I could mention favorites by size and what has seen the most use over the last couple of years.

40cc class-242XP. Most saw classes have several saws that vie for the top spot. IMO the there's nothing even close to the 242 in it's class. Mine has a gasket delete and muff mod and is awful close to most 50cc saws.

50cc class- 2150 with a 2453 jug on it. .325 8 pin. The only saw I own that always has fuel in it. Reliable and very quick. No problem handling wood up to it's 16" bar length.

60cc class-Tough call here. 562 is just about a perfect saw. But a 262 and a 257 with a 262 top end also get used a lot.

70cc class- Any one of several 372/2171 chassis saws that I have. Pretty much ideal all around saws. Including one 365 I ported that out cuts stock 72's.

90cc class- Jonny 930Super is my favorite here. With the second generation cylinder that has cut outs to the case it has a little more grunt than 288's and such.

And to keep the post going by finding more...........(this is the same thought process by which we justify CAD acquisitions)

"Winter use": 2163WH cause the heated handles are nice on a cold day.

"Huge wood": Just did a 30+ inch ash with a 2100CD, so ya gotta have one of those too.

"Leave out in the workshop to grab it when I need it saw": VERY ugly 52E that I patched together from the junk pile.

"Old Swede"- Jonsered 70E. The granddaddy of the 70cc class. Was ahead of it's time and still fun to run.

"Old Mac"- ProMac 60. I love this saw. Nice power and really light for it's time. Great handler too.

"Old Homelite"- SXL925. Great saw, gobs of torque. If it had mounts, everyone would yank them out.

I'll try and think of a couple more......................

I own far too many saws to follow the rules in these "one saw" threads, but I guess I could mention favorites by size and what has seen the most use over the last couple of years.

40cc class-242XP. Most saw classes have several saws that vie for the top spot. IMO the there's nothing even close to the 242 in it's class. Mine has a gasket delete and muff mod and is awful close to most 50cc saws.

50cc class- 2150 with a 2453 jug on it. .325 8 pin. The only saw I own that always has fuel in it. Reliable and very quick. No problem handling wood up to it's 16" bar length.

60cc class-Tough call here. 562 is just about a perfect saw. But a 262 and a 257 with a 262 top end also get used a lot.

70cc class- Any one of several 372/2171 chassis saws that I have. Pretty much ideal all around saws. Including one 365 I ported that out cuts stock 72's.

90cc class- Jonny 930Super is my favorite here. With the second generation cylinder that has cut outs to the case it has a little more grunt than 288's and such.

And to keep the post going by finding more...........(this is the same thought process by which we justify CAD acquisitions)

"Winter use": 2163WH cause the heated handles are nice on a cold day.

"Huge wood": Just did a 30+ inch ash with a 2100CD, so ya gotta have one of those too.

"Leave out in the workshop to grab it when I need it saw": VERY ugly 52E that I patched together from the junk pile.

"Old Swede"- Jonsered 70E. The granddaddy of the 70cc class. Was ahead of it's time and still fun to run.

"Old Mac"- ProMac 60. I love this saw. Nice power and really light for it's time. Great handler too.

"Old Homelite"- SXL925. Great saw, gobs of torque. If it had mounts, everyone would yank them out.

I'll try and think of a couple more......................
I sold a Husky 242XP to a guy a yr or so ago...it needed a rebuild and other parts...regret it to the day!:cry:
Great info...Merry Christmas!:havingarest:

Husky 365 Special. Just a beast and loves to run. MS660 is a good saw but just too big for little ole me.

My Husq 460 Rancher. The saw fires on the second pull cold, and pulls a 20" bar without any issues. Which is fine for 90% of the cutting I do...

It would have to be my 066 been the best and reliable saw for so many years whether it has a long or short bar it goes all day everyday just the usual maitance it's a great saw for me gets me to trouble and gets me out of trouble

But..... I just got a ms 661 cm

Latest posts

Back