OK,WHAT IS YOUR MOST DEPENDABLE FIREWOOD SAW?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my echo's they always start and do the job with out hiccup my stihl 011av was the same way till the carb busted a diaphragm.

The "most dependable" can't be narrowed down to just one saw since ALL of the Echos in the family have run flawlessly. My dad's 750evl is now 34 years old and still runs like a top. I have a John Deere 70v (Echo cs-702vl) that runs like new. These old saws weren't fast (or light) but they were built like a tank.

We cut a lot of lodge pole these days since the big red firs are hard to come by. The saw that does 75% of my cutting is my Echo cs-510 with a 20" bar. Like all the other Echos, it is dead nuts dependable. It is fairly light and cuts wood like there's no tomorrow. This saw is over 10 years old and has cut A LOT of wood. Runs like the day I bought it and has had exactly ZERO problems.

Bone stock Makita 6401 with a 18 or 20" bar. This thing is smoken fast and has tons of power. For any big stuff I fire up my Makita with a 85cc BB kit with a HD filter and a ported muffler. I keep a 25" on it most of the time but I have a 33" 404 for the really big stuff. Ive only used it once in four years but what the heck, paid for its self just hanging on the wall. I cant seem to leave any of them home when I cut wood. Just in case.

Truth be told............ for a home-owner........if properly maintained, most any of today's saws are "ALL" dependable as dirt and will last a long time. Problem is, many home-owners don't take care of their saws, and the pro's do. Even a professional saw won't start if left sitting for 2 years with untreated gas in the tank. Oh sure, there's a lemon every once in awhile, and some are easier to work on then others. But in general, they're all pretty darn nice! We're fortunate to have such a wide selection. I own 2 Stihl's. An MS290 Farm Boss, and an MS170. I'm not partial to Stihl. They just happen to be the closest dealer to me. The 10 year old 170 gets called on the most for tree felling, and not just for the small stuff. With it's 14 inch bar, I've cut down lots of 25"+ trees. But 99% of the trees I harvest are 12 to 18" and the little 170 is just perfect for this. It's just so darn light and easy to maneuver. Before I got the 290, the little 170 had harvested over 75 full cords of firewood all by it self, from start to finish. The 290 is now my bucking saw. I heat entirely with wood, 10 to 15 full cords a year. I got the 290 in case the 170 pooped out. Well that ain't happened yet. But when it does, I'll replace it with another "small- lightweight" saw. It might be a Stihl, or it might be ?????????? If 18" diameter, and under, is kinda your norm, small, lightweight saws are just a dream to use. I'm pushing 70, so I'll sacrifice a little speed for easy of use. But...to each his own.

Truth be told............ for a home-owner........if properly maintained, most any of today's saws are "ALL" dependable as dirt and will last a long time. Oh sure, there's a lemon every once in awhile, and some are easier to work on then others. But in general, they're all pretty darn nice! We're fortunate to have such a wide selection. I own 2 Stihl's. An MS290 Farm Boss, and an MS170. I'm not partial to Stihl. They just happen to be the closest dealer to me. The 10 year old 170 gets called on the most for tree felling, and not just for the small stuff. With it's 14 inch bar, I've cut down lots of 25"+ trees. But 99% of the trees I harvest are 12 to 18" and the little 170 is just perfect for this. It's just so darn light and easy to maneuver. Before I got the 290, the little 170 had harvested over 75 full cords of firewood all by it self, from start to finish. The 290 is now my bucking saw. I heat entirely with wood, 10 to 15 full cords a year. I got the 290 in case the 170 pooped out. Well that ain't happened yet. But when it does, I'll replace it with another "small- lightweight" saw. It might be a Stihl, or it might be ?????????? If 18" diameter wood is kinda your norm, small, lightweight saws are just a dream to use. I'm pushing 70, so I'll sacrifice a little speed for easy of use. But...to each his own.

If I were shopping for a saw to meet the needs you described, I would look seriously at the Echo cs-500p with an 18" bar. It is a 10.6 lb. (pho) 50cc saw and I think it may be the lightest 50cc pro saw out there. The price is right up there but if you have the funds.....

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-500P

Another vote for the husqvarna 55 here. I bought mine on eBay used hard and missing clutch parts. It went lean and siezed after 6 months of hard use. Rebuilt it and fixed the air leak at the carb base its been going hard ever since. It's ugly none of the covers match and it's always dirty and faded looking even when it's clean. But it always starts and runs all day never needs anything but oil, gas and another chain to wear out. It's probably cut 50-60 cords just in the last 2 years who knows what the people on eBay did with it before I got it.

Most of the wood I've cut over my life has been with the L65. Carb cleanings, a few plugs, new kill switch and I think a coil once are the only work it's needed since purchased by my dad in 78.
I have my old man's same saw sitting in the shop, rebuilt and looking purty, I run it a couple of times a year just to keep it happy!

Husky 55 here too. My first saw and I take great care of it and it's easy to handle. Wish I had more use for the 576xp I have because of how much better the anti vibe is but my 55 is my go to saw.

story. got my 970 oly, off of ebay,, from Puerto rico!!!!!!!!!! sad shape..but 25 $ shipped!! new piston and cyl, fixed other minor things,, and a new chain brake with cover. that has got to be, the most dependable I have ever owned,, amongst 20 other saws!!! just wont give up!!! and for some odd reason, real easy on fuel. have had it 6 years and counting.....I do wish now tho, id a bought the decompression cyl!!!!!!! sheeeebangee!!

Husky 55 here too. My first saw and I take great care of it and it's easy to handle. Wish I had more use for the 576xp I have because of how much better the anti vibe is but my 55 is my go to saw.

Put a shorter bar and bump up rim sprocket size on that 576....

Zogger, I have 28", 24" and 20" bars for my 576xp. I bought it because I needed a bigger saw for some large trees I took down so the most use it's gotten has been with the 28" bar. It's a bit heavy with that bar but I'm looking forward to using this saw with the smaller bars.

Back