Opinions on a Dolmar Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl in ky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So what is everybodies opinion on a Dolmar saw? Thinking about getting one but not sure about them or what size to get. I would like to get one with a 16 or 18 inch bar, will only be cutting smaller wood with this saw. I have a bigger saw for the big stuff. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the site- You will find on here that Every one has their "favorites" Dolmar happens to be one of mine they were the first chainsaw. They will rank with or better than stihl or husky and will last for years if maintainned properly. The model that would be great running a 16-18 inch bar would be the Dolmar ps 460 they run around 320 or so and are a professionaly made mid-size saw that will last a life time. But it all depends on delaer support in your area if you dont know how to fix saws espically dolmar its nice to have a delaer that knows how. I will add the carbs can be a little touchy sometimes and you are guarnteed to be impressed!! A Ps-460 is a 46cc model and will run like a 56cc
Good luck,
mitch95100

My very first saw was a Sachs-Dolmar I bought in 1982. It was a great saw. I have owned and used Stihl, Husky, and Dolmars ever since, all of them make good pro grade saws, regardless of what some people say. My personal preference is for the Dolmars because certain models work very well for me in my applications. In my timber stand improvement business, the PS-5105 is tops. It has the speed for limbing if needed and really has some low end torque for felling and bucking 6-14" wood, for a fairly light 50cc saw ( I sometimes work a long walk from a pick-up). I own two and looking for a third. The 7900 gets alot of praise that is justified and I feel the 7300 gets over shadowed by the excellent Husky 372. They are quality saws still made in Germany. Try one, I'll bet you'll like it and if you don't PM me, I'll prolly buy it from you if its a 5105 or bigger.

It depends on the model

Don't get me wrong, Dolmar builds a very good product, as does Husky, Stihl, Efco, Echo etc. Just like any manufacturer they have some outstanding models, (ie PS7900), and some models that seem to have had more issues than expected, (ie PS5100). All in all Dolkitas are held in pretty high opinion.

Pick out the saw, do a quick search on this site and you'll most likely have a night's worth of reading on the good, bad and ugly. From your post sounds like a PS510 might fill the bill. The PS6400 is another choice. Very reliable and attractively priced.

Take Care

I had the opportunity to run both a 5105 and a 7300. IMHO, they are every bit as smooth or smoother than an XP Husqvarna. The 7300 was a real runner for sure.

Tough question to answer because its such a broad one. I'll give my take. In no particular order:

- I believe Dolmar has the single best "consumer line" on the market today. They blow husky's homeowner/landowner line out of the water and have a slight edge over the consumer models stihl offers.

- Their pro models will get you mixed opinions. Most will agree they are built and designed well. Some will have biases towards Dolmar, others will have biases against. All in all you would be hard pressed to argue they arent a well built saw though.

- While their prices have gone up recently, I still believe they offer best value for money of any line of saw.

- Depending upon where you live, they may not hold their value very well. If i tried to sell a used dolmar around these parts Id be lucky to get half of what I could sell a used Stihl for.

- Dealer support can be an issue. I've hypothesized about this before. I believe that Dolmar north america has had a hard time getting dealers & as such have lowered their standards on who will sell their saws. Never have I heard more complaints about dealers than with dolmars, which is a shame. they are plenty of great dolmar dealers - just like there are horrible stihl or husky dealers - but it seems like there is a disproportionate amount of bad ones for dolmar. This doesnt affect the quality of the product - and if you do your own work like many of us here, it probably wont matter, but it is something to keep in mind.

As for your own needs, you didnt mention whether you wanted pro or consumer grade.
If you are looking consumer grade, I think the 510 is one of the best 50cc buys on the market today.

If you are looking pro, the 5105 is a solid choice & is usually brought up regularly (along with the stihl 261 and the husky 346) as the top 3 saws in their class.

Last edited:
My very first saw was a Sachs-Dolmar I bought in 1982. It was a great saw. I have owned and used Stihl, Husky, and Dolmars ever since, all of them make good pro grade saws, regardless of what some people say. My personal preference is for the Dolmars because certain models work very well for me in my applications. In my timber stand improvement business, the PS-5105 is tops. It has the speed for limbing if needed and really has some low end torque for felling and bucking 6-14" wood, for a fairly light 50cc saw ( I sometimes work a long walk from a pick-up). I own two and looking for a third. The 7900 gets alot of praise that is justified and I feel the 7300 gets over shadowed by the excellent Husky 372. They are quality saws still made in Germany. Try one, I'll bet you'll like it and if you don't PM me, I'll prolly buy it from you if its a 5105 or bigger.

Now THIS is what I call a glowing recommendation... Just sayin...

No one mentioned it . . . .

The Dolmar 420 is a real sleeper of a little saw. It weighs less then the 460 and has very good power for limbing work.

They are 14" - 16"

I definitely want a pro model. It will be getting a lot of use. I will look into a Dolmar for sure and thanks for all the input, especially on the dealer. I have always used a Stihl but have heard a lot of good stuff on Dolmars, they just aren't very popular around here. I need a good saw, I don't need to win a popularity contest.:biggrin:

You can't go wrong with a dolmar. Everybody has his personal preference, so Stihl or Husky are nice saws too.

But here in Belgium, Stihl and Husky do a lot of advertising, Dolmar isn't. It are other owners of Dolmars who advertise for them!

I have only had one issue with Dolmar and that was with my 9010, it blew up on the third tank. Dealer found a pinched off impulse line, the saw was rebuilt under warranty and has been running great ever since. I have a close to 20 year old SD 120si that is great and a PS6400 that cuts like a much bigger saw. I have been very impressed with the Dolly line and have turned into a Dolly cheer leader. I also own an old Stihl and a few other brands here and there that I like. As far as me buying anything brand new, I stick with my Dolmar.

My 1st saw was a 5100s (because of what I read here). I couldn't be happier with it.
My BIL, who cuts and burns @12 cord of red oak per year, has been putting his PS510 through way more than I believe it was designed for, for many(?) years, with no problems. He's a big dude and works the snot out of his equipment.
Good machines, imho.

My favorite 50cc saw is the 5100/5105. Take that for what its worth as I've not run many others.....

I've preached for years about the wonders of the modded Husky 350, I'd give it up in a second for another 5100s! These things aint right!

Back