Painting chainsaw mufflers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdntbone303

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There any negative affects to painting a muffler? I find after a few coats of paint they get very hot. Mostly on the Husqvarna or Jonsered equivalent 345 to 353 model mufflers. I remove rust and then paint with high temp barbecue paint.87AF5D78-A2EB-4EF1-942C-9B5DD995C9A3.jpeg

Black paint will make them run cooler. Don't know that you would notice the difference though. There is a reason radiators in cars are black.
Maybe the way I am adjusting my carbs on these saws making them run too rich or lean causing overheat? They are all around 1 turns out on H and L. 50/1 mix. New gaskets between the muffler and cylinder so no leaks there.

There any negative affects to painting a muffler? I find after a few coats of paint they get very hot. Mostly on the Husqvarna or Jonsered equivalent 345 to 353 model mufflers. I remove rust and then paint with high temp barbecue paint.
View attachment 925025

My first attempts only resulted in noisier units, so any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I already have my drill and grinders (as well as a can of white [rofl], high-heat Krylon spray paint for one unit]) ready to go.

[should note that this is for top-handled sub-40cc units and that all of my units have modified air intakes, meaning I completely open up (and filter!) the air-intake area to have more, cleaner air availability than OEM!]

Black paint will make them run cooler. Don't know that you would notice the difference though. There is a reason radiators in cars are black.
Radiators painted black run hotter than bare aluminum/tin/brass because it hinders heat transfer. They were originally painted black because it was visible.
My first attempts only resulted in noisier units, so any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I already have my drill and grinders (as well as a can of white [rofl], high-heat Krylon spray paint for one unit]) ready to go.

[should note that this is for top-handled sub-40cc units and that all of my units have modified air intakes, meaning I completely open up (and filter!) the air-intake area to have more, cleaner air availability than OEM!]
sub 40cc saws typically only need one extra 5/16 port added to their mufflers exit then adjust the carb. Advance ignition timing a hair.

I don't know how much "insulating" effect paint has, but black objects radiate heat better/faster than white (or silver) objects, all other things being equal...

White objects both absorb radiant heat, and radiate heat to their surroundings, slower than black objects.

that was said bout black in early 70s on dirt bike motors, tho some of the euros were bare mag/alum
then honda started paintin them red, later 70s
pipes were still black tho
rest stayed w/black on motors

Paint will help your muffler from rusting, which will make it last longer.

I've never had a chainsaw muffler rust. I suspect I get more rust inside the pumpkin of my rear axle, which is one of the few places I can think of that are less oily than my chainsaw mufflers.

Maybe I'm not leaving my saws submerged in seawater enough.

I've never had a chainsaw muffler rust. I suspect I get more rust inside the pumpkin of my rear axle, which is one of the few places I can think of that are less oily than my chainsaw mufflers.

Maybe I'm not leaving my saws submerged in seawater enough.
I take it you have never cut in the rain or snow?

Back