Please Help With 090G Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohioclimber82

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new member to this site. I am considering purchasing a Stihl 090G chainsaw. I am confused as to the difference between the 090G,090,090AV? Is one model better than the other? I would be using this saw for flushing stumps and droping larger trees and cutting when needed. The 090G I am looking at needs a muffler. Is this part hard to find? Are the mufflers on all 090 models the same? I dont want an 084 or a Husky saw. I am set on the 090 period. Thanks for all the help members!! Rick

Unless you are milling large hardwoods, it doesn't pay to use an 090. But when milling large hardwoods an 090 will shine. If you have to have an 090 for some reason get the 090av or just plain 090. The sprockets for the 090G are worth twice their weight in gold, if you can find one for sale.

For stumping i would get an 064, which can be had cheap used. If you need something bigger get an 084, which also can be had on the cheap from the bay.

Rick, if you can find a good 090 at a good price get it. Love mine, solid nose 3' bar and .404 full skip chain...it's hard to beat.

i just got an 090 and its ancient. i wish it had an automatic oiler instead of the hand pump oiler. you may want to check if it has an automatic oiler.

the 090 has an auto oiler, AND a manual override button. check to make sure the pump is working right.

Didnt Buy The 090G

Hello and thanks for your help with my questions on the 090G. I didnt buy the saw. It sold for 810 dollars. Has anyone had certain problems with their 090 saws? Anything you dont like about the 090s? Thanks for your help! Im just an old tree man in Ohio, Rick Always remember Clearence before appearance

I would have to get an 088 finding parts and the availablity of the parts are slim. The 088 if you need a clutch or a filter just run down to the store. I know you have your heart set on one at one time in every sawers mind their was a time that they wanted and needed to have one. I would not want to have this saw for eveyday use unless you are milling. Still an 088 would do the job fine.

Back