Poll Pro-mod, Anti-mod, Neutral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You a Pro-Modder, Anti-Modder or sitting on the fence?

• Pro-Modder

Votes: 133 59.1%
  • Anti-Modder

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Fence Sitter

Votes: 73 32.4%

• Total voters
I used to want to make hot rods out of my saws, but I now believe the stock setup tends toward longevity, in that higher rpms cause moving parts to wear more rapidly. I would buy a factory ported saw like a Stihl version of the Univent 372, because the cylinder coating is likely applied AFTER the ports are opened. I have several opened mufflers and factory DPs, but I am not likely to port a saw myself, due to the risk of disrupting and curling up teh edge of the nikasil coating. Something about the idea of a ring scraping across that edge 20+ times per second just seems a bit risky IMO.

Like Andy once said, I really don't care if I cut the log in 20 seconds or 17.623 seconds. I like it when my saws start reliably and run well.

FTR, I did vote pro-mod.

I want to be running my MS460 thirty years from now.

I did pick up an extra 044 carb, with an eye toward porting one of these numerous 026s I have lying around, and fitting this carb to it.

JJ,

I plead guilty to liking my saws modded. I guess the jerk part applies too. Ya got me there. I'll get back to you as soon as I can figure out that egotistical part.

Cheers,

Joat

Dear Dr. Joat-

I have recently found myself ascribing to the theory that my modified saw enhances my virility and increases my attractiveness to the ladies. Is this possible? Please advise.

Sincerely, Your esteemed colleague in two-cycle matters from the west.

P.S.- I have it on good information from a knowledgeable chap that 'egotistical' is a species of tree that grows in parts of Australia. My apologies for the confusion.

Dear Dr. Joat-

I have recently found myself ascribing to the theory that my modified saw enhances my virility and increases my attractiveness to the ladies. Is this possible? Please advise.

Sincerely, Your esteemed colleague in two-cycle matters from the west.

P.S.- I have it on good information from a knowledgeable chap that 'egotistical' is a species of tree that grows in parts of Australia. My apologies for the confusion.

JJ,

Well, first, tell me the circumstances of this startling assessment:

1. Was it made in the dark, or with the lights on?

2. Where you alone?

3. Was a cash transaction made?

4. Moaning at the event? Yes, No, Both, Only me, etc.

5. Was a chainsaw present?

6. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you answered yes to #5, so, was the saw running?

When you have completed this questionaire, kindly hand it to my pretty nurse,

dr. joat

Fence sitter here, but I am probably going to open up the muffler on my 026 soon.

Pro mod. Just wish I had a lot more time to tinker around with them. Sadly, I have too many other things that I really should be doing instead. :cry:

Anti-mod here. Like the saws the way they came. I guess it is the collector in me. I would rather have an all original '69 Camaro than one that has been all decked out.

I went with pro:)The 2152 was modded because I could not afford a new 2153, 2159 was because I already had two 60cc saw's and wanted something with a little more bang.Down side they make more noise.
Do I really need it for cutting firewood? Saving a few minutes in cutting time? Na but it makes me feel good:cheers:
Older classic and cheap saw's I would not touch except to muff mod the cheapy's.
I am real happy with my 7900 stock hum Maybe I am a fence sitter?

Neutral to pro-mod here. I did a light muffler mod on my 55 and got a touch more power out of it. Did the same thing to the muffler on my SXL and it just made it louder. I wouldn't do any extreme mods that would shorten the life of my saw, and I like having one quieter saw to use around the house, right now that would be my Poulan 330.

I hated to do it but voted fence sitter, felt like giving a gift cards at Christmas. The thing is part of me wants to open my saw up and see what I can get but I appreciate using a quiet fuel efficient saw. I vote for keeping my work saw stock and getting a play saw to open up.

Last edited:
Not anti mod, but I personally don't want the extra noise so all my saws are stock.

I do run fresh square, so my saws cut as good as the average modded ones in their size....:)

I might go for ported with the stock muffler, though. I realize gains would be reduced of course.

Last edited:
I might go for ported with the stock muffler, though.

Given that a muffler mod wakes up most saws, the muffler seems to be a limiting factor for flow in most cases, so porting might not make much of a difference.

Porting gains would certainly be muted without opening the muffler up, still some could be had by reworking the ports and boosting compression. Even that though would have a slight increase on sound levels though. At least I would think with higher opening pressures at exhaust port.

i used to run a stock saw...nobody in the southern illinois timber business runs a modded saw. as far as i know i am the first one... and from now on i won't run anything else. it takes less than a week for the modding to pay for itself. therefore it maked economical sense for me to have them modded.

port it, mill it, advance it!!

Last edited:
Porting gains would certainly be muted without opening the muffler up, still some could be had by reworking the ports and boosting compression. Even that though would have a slight increase on sound levels though. At least I would think with higher opening pressures at exhaust port.

And it probably depends on the saw. My stock 7900s are already faster than a 372 or 460 so they probably has less easy gains to be had than say a stock 372. (e.g. Univent?)

Still think it would be interesting some day to have someone do some mild work on a 3120 while leaving the muffler alone. Mayve someday I'll get a wild hair and see what shipping would be to TW....

Yep Dolmar 7900 or 681 solo, both have CCs on 460 or 372 but also a little compression and cleaner casting work. So certainly some of the low hanging fruit has already been picked.

I do run fresh square, so my saws cut as good as the average modded ones in their size....:)
QUOTE]

Now just think of square ground on a modded saw. Ruinning modded saws its just so hard to run anything else. The 576 I ran the other day it was nice and smooth and quiet. The whole time I was thinking what are the gains that can be gottan out of this new strato saw.:greenchainsaw:

Modded saws rock, but it is hard to mess with something as fine as a perfectly running stihl. I like to tinker mostly, so a few seconds off a cut time is no big deal to me. To me, the best mod is a nice muff mod and a sharp chain. If my hand filing sucks, then what is the point of going to all the work of porting a saw. You are still missing the biggest piece of the idea behind modding.

And yes, my hand filing still sucks, but I have used some really nice hand sharpened chains and notice the difference right away.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back