Poll Pro-mod, Anti-mod, Neutral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You a Pro-Modder, Anti-Modder or sitting on the fence?

• Pro-Modder

Votes: 133 59.1%
  • Anti-Modder

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Fence Sitter

Votes: 73 32.4%

• Total voters
I voted Pro. Why? Because I googled "chainsaw" in August of 06 to research a chainsaw purchase after I burned up my 346 and AS popped up.

YOU are the reason I voted Pro and YOU are the reason I now own 3 chainsaws instead of one and that is the reason I now heat with wood. It's all a chain reaction directly resulting from that one google search.

I hope you're collectively proud of yourselves. :help:

Ian

Last edited:
I voted Pro. Why? Because I googled "chainsaw" in August of 06 to research a chainsaw purchase after I burned up my 346 and AS popped up.

YOU are the reason I voted Pro and YOU are the reason I now own 3 chainsaws instead of one and that is the reason I now heat with wood. It's all a chain reaction directly resulting from that one google search.

Ian

Victim of circumstance, eh? That's a good story...I'll have to remember it.

BTW, I just got back home with my TreeSlingr' woods ported 660. I'll be falling with it Monday.

LOL...even us old farts like a fun saw.

Ian

Your welcome. :D

BTW, I just got back home with my TreeSlingr' woods ported 660. I'll be falling with it Monday.

And likely be a humming a country song about faster horses, younger women
while you're a refueling & grinning ear to ear.
:greenchainsaw:

You do realize that you need to file a full report of this "slingerized" saw first thing upon returning Monday evening. The good the bad and the ugly of it all. Is it a new saw or had it been broken in before modding?

Ian

You do realize that you need to file a full report of this "slingerized" saw first thing upon returning Monday evening. The good the bad and the ugly of it all. Is it a new saw or had it been broken in before modding?

Ian

Brand new saw. All it had was shop-run time. I'll put quite a few hours on it starting Monday and by the weekend I should have a good idea of how much better than stock it is.
We cut some cookies with it and it feels strong but it needs to run in real-world conditions for me to be able to really tell.
I will say one thing, Jasha does meticulous work. I watched him do the whole thing and he doesn't cut any corners.

As far as the "ugly" goes...the only thing I foresee is too much excitement for the old guy and the possibility of cardiac arrest.:)

One other thing...before some of the newer guys start all the wailing and lamentation about "OMG, you've voided your warranty"...just put a sock in it. My money, my saw, my decision entirely. Besides, I've never had a warranty issue with a 66...ever.

Last edited:
Dear Dr. Joat-

I have recently found myself ascribing to the theory that my modified saw enhances my virility and increases my attractiveness to the ladies. Is this possible? Please advise.

Sincerely, Your esteemed colleague in two-cycle matters from the west.

P.S.- I have it on good information from a knowledgeable chap that 'egotistical' is a species of tree that grows in parts of Australia. My apologies for the confusion.

ha ha, well you can call your saw a Corvette, call it an extension of your ?? well you know.

Modded for me.
Those who say it dosen't matter if it takes 20 seconds or 17 seconds to make a cut have never cut by piece work, or scale. 3 seconds per cut add's up by the end of the day, week, month and it dosen't take long to pay for the saw, mod and all. Besides that they're more fun to run.
As far as it being louder, well one of my son's nick named me Huh. I kinda like it, I don't have to listen to all that pissin & moanin that's alway's going on.

I do have 2 stock saw's that will stay that way, because 2 of the competitions I go to have classes that require stock saw's.

Andy

Modded for me.
Those who say it dosen't matter if it takes 20 seconds or 17 seconds to make a cut have never cut by piece work, or scale. 3 seconds per cut add's up by the end of the day, week, month and it dosen't take long to pay for the saw, mod and all. Besides that they're more fun to run.
As far as it being louder, well one of my son's nick named me Huh. I kinda like it, I don't have to listen to all that pissin & moanin that's alway's going on.

I do have 2 stock saw's that will stay that way, because 2 of the competitions I go to have classes that require stock saw's.

Andy

I agree, and have the same viewpoint. 3 seconds per cut X 140 cuts per day X 5 days a week X 4 weeks in a month... =8400 seconds or 140 minutes or 2 1/3 hours.

Ah, but you're burning more gas per cut (actually...dumping it into the air) so you'll be filling up more for the same wood cut;)

Oh, wait.... If you do 140 cuts per day (17 seconds each), then you're only cutting for 39.666 minutes anyhow. Do you go home 7 minutes earlier?:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Ah, but you're burning more gas per cut (actually...dumping it into the air) so you'll be filling up more for the same wood cut;)

Do you go home 420 seconds earlier each day?:greenchainsaw:

I'll bite Andy... That extra 2 1/3 hour at the end of the month, could be used to drink beer!! :cheers:

I had most of my McCullochs "touched up" by the same guy. None of them were docile to begin with, they were kinda beastly afterward. One of the 797s was over done, among other things it was really hard to start, and the only chainsaw I used that could "blue" a sharp chain that was wet with oil.

I had most of my McCullochs "touched up" by the same guy. None of them were docile to begin with, they were kinda beastly afterward. One of the 797s was over done, among other things it was really hard to start, and the only chainsaw I used that could "blue" a sharp chain that was wet with oil.

Two of the saws my dad gave me are of that bent...one is the last 101B kartsaw he had, it's on a .050" over Wiseco piston now and that thing will wear a man down running it. The other is a later Super Pro 125 that's up to a .032" over Burris piston and has the super stuffer and five degree advanced flywheel. If it's a cold day, it'll jerk your arm right out of its socket.

Starting was tough, the compression was one thing, but the real killer was the advanced timing. On cold wet days, a minor hesitation in pulling the cord, resulted in having the handle ripped through cold fingers, 25 years later, I still have "McCulloch Syndrome" that runs from finger tips, up the right arm, to the shoulder and around under the shoulder blade.

Two of the saws my dad gave me are of that bent...one is the last 101B kartsaw he had, it's on a .050" over Wiseco piston now and that thing will wear a man down running it. The other is a later Super Pro 125 that's up to a .032" over Burris piston and has the super stuffer and five degree advanced flywheel. If it's a cold day, it'll jerk your arm right out of its socket.

I'd like to see those saws!!!!

Latest posts

Back