Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
upload_2014-5-18_21-53-20.png
This is the vent/feed unit I am referencing (Pt. # 17).

If you look at the vertical short stem you can see that it has a hole near the base of it. There is no hole in the top of it. Mine did not come with either vent tube and when the saw is turned sideways fuel leaks out the hole. It does not "seem"to do so while the saw is running. I tried installing a piece of gas line over the short stem and this did not work (it didn't seal it and when the saw was turned sideways fuel still leaked out, albeit slower).

I'd like to get this saw into running order but without a service manual to show exactly how this is supposed to be put together I am groping in the dark. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
Renaissance Enterprises

I am new to this forum, and I wanted to post a picture of my Sachs Dolmar & see if I could get a little advice. I have been reading through the SD sticky, but I have not made it all the way through yet. Please forgive me if my questions have already been answered. Hopefully I will finish the reading today. I am not a collector. I have a Stihl MS250C that normally meets all my needs.

Here is the short version of how I ended up with this classic. I was talking to my best friends dad the other day about his old chainsaw. It is a Sachs-Dolmar from the Late 80's, and it sat on a shelf next to a few Stihl saws and a couple of Echos. We are weekenders who heat with firewood, and we recently had a bunch of tornado damage in our area. As you can imagine, everyone's chainsaw is getting a workout. This saw has not been used much in the last few years. I thought it would be good for bucking large logs, and I was going to see if he would sell it to me. Well, he GAVE it to me + 6 good chains! It runs good, but it needs a little TLC. He had fabricated an air filter that seems to be working just fine, but I was wondering if any of the Dolmar/Makita filters would work? I believe my saw is a 116 or a 116si. I am not sure which yet (and he does not remember). Also, does the inside dog look original? I have not been able to find a matching outside dog yet, and I will probably end up just making one. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sachs Dolmar.jpg
    Sachs Dolmar.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 52
  • SD Dog.jpg
    SD Dog.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 41
Can you post a pict of the choke operator knob? If it is the flip over style it would be a ,Si ,Super injected saw. If its a pull out style it would be a regular carb saw. It looks like a 116 Si or a 6000.i

View attachment 351071
This is the vent/feed unit I am referencing (Pt. # 17).

If you look at the vertical short stem you can see that it has a hole near the base of it. There is no hole in the top of it. Mine did not come with either vent tube and when the saw is turned sideways fuel leaks out the hole. It does not "seem"to do so while the saw is running. I tried installing a piece of gas line over the short stem and this did not work (it didn't seal it and when the saw was turned sideways fuel still leaked out, albeit slower).

I'd like to get this saw into running order but without a service manual to show exactly how this is supposed to be put together I am groping in the dark. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
Renaissance Enterprises

Your vent works the same as all the rest of the SD saws that use this threaded stud and hose/fuel line as a vent. The hose has to fit the stud very tightly and that allows just a little air to make its way into the tank via the fine threads on the stud. If the saw is left lying on its side fuel will slowly leak out around these threads but the amount will be very small, just a weep, that is why the hose needs to fit very tightly.

Can you post a pict of the choke operator knob? If it is the flip over style it would be a ,Si ,Super injected saw. If its a pull out style it would be a regular carb saw. It looks like a 116 Si or a 6000.i

It is a pull out choke and no primer bulb. Where can I find a SM for the 116.

I have been able to locate a air filter cover and air filter for a 116Si. Will these crossover to my standard 116? They look like they will fit.

I don't mind a little tweaking to fit, but I don't want to be trying to stuff 3lbs of rocks into a 2lb sack.

EDIT: I have been emailing with The Chainsawr today, and they do not think it can be retrofitted. So...I guess my next question for you SD Gurus would be...

What kind of plastic is the Air Cover made from? I am have some experience welding plastic, and I guess I can just repair the one I have.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1400545711862.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400545711862.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1400545760309.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400545760309.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 21
If you don't know what that is in my hands you shouldn't be on this thread!

Finally got to run one after bill g shot me down to run his! Wut up!!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400724842.395763.jpg

It is a pull out choke and no primer bulb. Where can I find a SM for the 116.

I have been able to locate a air filter cover and air filter for a 116Si. Will these crossover to my standard 116? They look like they will fit.

I don't mind a little tweaking to fit, but I don't want to be trying to stuff 3lbs of rocks into a 2lb sack.

EDIT: I have been emailing with The Chainsawr today, and they do not think it can be retrofitted. So...I guess my next question for you SD Gurus would be...

What kind of plastic is the Air Cover made from? I am have some experience welding plastic, and I guess I can just repair the one I have.

The 116si should cross with the 6000i and possibly the 120si and 6800i. Keep in mind that there are Makita and Dolmar versions of both. I only have a 6800i and have never tried to swap parts back and fourth but considering the 120si/6800 is just a larger displacement of the 116si I would guess they cross. Need confirmation on that though.

Your vent works the same as all the rest of the SD saws that use this threaded stud and hose/fuel line as a vent. The hose has to fit the stud very tightly and that allows just a little air to make its way into the tank via the fine threads on the stud. If the saw is left lying on its side fuel will slowly leak out around these threads but the amount will be very small, just a weep, that is why the hose needs to fit very tightly.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I heat shrunk a fuel line on it and a very small amount of mix weeped out when the saw was on it's side. I have come up with a better design (I think) and will post pics of it once I get the required parts.

I sure would appreciate a few pics from someone's SD116. Specifically what is under the air filter cover, how the original air filter fits and what it looks like. Also, the air filter cover on my 116 has two layers that are held together with a couple of #8 screws. Does this saw call for a pre-filter that was sandwiched between the two parts of the cover? :confused:

I sure would appreciate a few pics from someone's SD116. Specifically what is under the air filter cover, how the original air filter fits and what it looks like. Also, the air filter cover on my 116 has two layers that are held together with a couple of #8 screws. Does this saw call for a pre-filter that was sandwiched between the two parts of the cover? :confused:
no layers just a top and bottom. I'd send pics but all I have is the Makita 6800i in this series and no SD116.

I wish 166 would show up... I've been missing him! He's great for this type of info since he's been dolmar forever! Also if you want Dolmar specific crossover info you should call Boyd's Outdoor Power in Dresser WI. They have been a Dolmar dealer for a long time now and might be able to clear any questions up for you.

Thanks for the info! I have got to be very careful reading on AS! I think I am in the beginning stages of CAD and I do NOT have the $$$ for that addiction!
Mrs. Weld would turn me from a rooster into a hen if I start stacking chainsaws up in the shop! :chop:
I COULD stick the Sachs and the Stihl in a dark corner of the shop and when "new" saws appear I could tell her they must have had a litter.....:D

Thanks for the info! I have got to be very careful reading on AS! I think I am in the beginning stages of CAD and I do NOT have the $$$ for that addiction!
Mrs. Weld would turn me from a rooster into a hen if I start stacking chainsaws up in the shop! :chop:
I COULD stick the Sachs and the Stihl in a dark corner of the shop and when "new" saws appear I could tell her they must have had a litter.....:D

Just do what I did... Learn to fix them and get a chain sharpener. Pretty soon you'll be able to pay for the addiction by earning money through it.:rock: :chainsaw:

6-8 years ago I just had a couple box store saws and now I have a complete Saw Shop that makes fixing and modifying saws easy and quick!

I have several 116 and several more 116Si saws, I can take picts if I knew just what you are looking for.

PG600,
If it would not be too much trouble...pictures would be great!

The air filter in the 116 I just inherited is a homemade job, and I cannot find a replacement (see attached picture). I would like to see what the stock 116 air filter looks like installed (just pop the cover off and take a picture please).
Is there a crossover filter from another saw? I think I have read that the air filter for the SD 113 crosses over, but I am not sure if I remember that correctly.

In the pictures I have seen, the air filter covers for the 116 and the 116si look very similar in size, but I have been told that they do not cross over. Can you confirm this?
It looks to me that I can fill the holes on the 116si air filter cover and then bore the correct holes so it attaches to my standard 116.

Attachments

• Air Filter.jpg
    Air Filter.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 23
Me thinks the only way to change over to that filter set-up (116/120si) would be to get the covers and carb elbow from a si model.

the 120 Super will have that 2 screw elbow as well.

I had a regular 120 many years ago but can't remember what the filter looked like ( probably the same as your regular 116.

I took a peek at a 112 filter, might work in a pinch, but not correct.

Here's some pics,

the first is a 116si cover/filter off.

The second is a 112 filter,

the others are the 2 different type of filters for the 120 super/si models ( flocked and flockless)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 18
Thanks! It helps me to be able to see the differences.

Thanks for that link too!
I am going to get to work on my Sachs this afternoon for a little bit. I am going to see if I can repair my cracked air cover. :D

PG600,
If it would not be too much trouble...pictures would be great!

The air filter in the 116 I just inherited is a homemade job, and I cannot find a replacement (see attached picture). I would like to see what the stock 116 air filter looks like installed (just pop the cover off and take a picture please).
Is there a crossover filter from another saw? I think I have read that the air filter for the SD 113 crosses over, but I am not sure if I remember that correctly.

In the pictures I have seen, the air filter covers for the 116 and the 116si look very similar in size, but I have been told that they do not cross over. Can you confirm this?
It looks to me that I can fill the holes on the 116si air filter cover and then bore the correct holes so it attaches to my standard 116.

I have been outside working all day, just got in and read your response to my question. I can get picts of my 116 airfilters covers etc. The 116 and 113 are the only saws that share the same airfilter as far as I know and have seen. I will take some picts tomorrow and post them.

Latest posts

Back