Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like my oil tank has a leak somewhere. I have not bird-dogged it yet, but it looks to be a passive leak (no pressure pushing oil out of the tank).
I have been itching to get my hands on this saw, but those pesky kids keep wanting to do things like eat, play, and take baths. ;)
I have been trying to explain to Mrs. Weld how important this project is, but she is not buying it.....:buttkick:

When you fill the tank (cold saw) and set it aside, it will be in a small pool of oil when you come back to it.
Are there any "usual suspects" for this type of leak on the Dolmar?

Here are my "new" dogs. They are for the newer dolmars, but the outside bolted right on. The inside dog took a tiny bit of grinding to fit, and I had to open the bottom hole a bit. I bolted it on with a couple of 1/4" grade 8 bolts. I think they will work great.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401565957854.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401565957854.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 15
Here she is all back together and ready to EAT!
Does anyone know where I might find the original stickers?
7yqe8yda.jpg

6ype6ymu.jpg

Stickers?

Good luck, if you do find a source please share it with the rest of us eh?

I found a source for the sticker on your re-coil, but don't think that was the original for your saw.

I did quite a bit of looking last night and I am afraid those stickers are lost to history. My wife has a sticker maker and thinks she can make one. Talk about a labor of love!
She doesn't even like chainsaws! :D

I was driving myself crazy trying to instal that new air filter last night. It turns out that the homemade filter (used for years) was much thinner than the stock filter and it allowed the center nut (on the air filter cover) to pull the plastic cross-work of the Hood (that sits under the filter) upward into a permanent kind of "dome like" shape. So now when the stock filter is installed it does not allow the air filter cover to seat completely. I will update with pictures later.

upload_2014-6-3_10-7-6.png

I got out the heat gun today and worked on that hood. It took a little while, but it worked like a charm. The Air Filter is installed and the Air Filter Cover mates up nicely with the hood.

She had some old brown gas in her which I disposed of by using it to start my burn barrel. I am real "green" like that. No gas on the ground here. Just bar oil. :D

I filled her up with fresh 50:1 and she started on the 5th pull. Sounded a tiny bit rich, but not quite "screaming". She had good throttle response, and she is much louder than my Stihl. I have to get these chains sharpened. She is throwing dust right now, and that is not gouda! :chainsaw:

OK.....calling all Dolmar experts....
I see bars for sale on Fleabay, but it appears they are configured for the larger SD saws. When I look at the pictures of some of these longer bars, it seems the oiler hole is in a different location and that the slot is larger as well.

If I am looking for a longer bar (say 24" or so), what do I need to look for in the add?
(My large dogs have reduced my effective bar length to ~16", and I would like to end up with ~20" of bar sticking out past the dogs)

If there is a sticky on the subject and I missed it, could someone post a link?

I confess....I am "ig-nent" and I need help. :confused:

Ok so I sent a message to 166 a long time ago about needing to ID this cylinder in the pic. Keith sent it to me and I have been having trouble finding one with a similar intake boil pattern and bore size. I know it's a NOS dolmar P&C set but just want to figure out what it belongs on so I know what it's worth and can send Keith a fair trade for it. There is a 116 cylinder on ebay right now that has the same bolt pattern but list a 36mm bore size and that isn't right for a 116. I can't remember what the bore diameter of this cylinder is but was thinking it was maybe 45mm b/c it was the same as a 112/114... According to Acres a 116 has a 45mm bore so maybe it's a 116 cylinder???

Anyone???

Attachments

• dolmar stuff.jpg
    dolmar stuff.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 22
OK.....calling all Dolmar experts....
I see bars for sale on Fleabay, but it appears they are configured for the larger SD saws. When I look at the pictures of some of these longer bars, it seems the oiler hole is in a different location and that the slot is larger as well.

If I am looking for a longer bar (say 24" or so), what do I need to look for in the add?
(My large dogs have reduced my effective bar length to ~16", and I would like to end up with ~20" of bar sticking out past the dogs)

If there is a sticky on the subject and I missed it, could someone post a link?

I confess....I am "ig-nent" and I need help. :confused:
What saw are you trying to fit on? 116 if so you need the small husky mount that max is 24". I think.

What saw are you trying to fit on? 116 if so you need the small husky mount that max is 24". I think.
It is a standard 116.
Right now it is wearing a 18" SD bar.

On a regular 116 I wouldn't go over 20" max unless you want to run 24" with .325 chain. Your bar mount should be a Oregon K095 or small mount husky.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/BMP/01?OpenDocument

Wow... I didn't even see this until just now but you put 6400/7900 bucking spikes on your 116...

Wow... I didn't even see this until just now but you put 6400/7900 bucking spikes on your 116...

I decided to live a little. The original single spike on the saw was the same size as these new ones, but I could not find a mate. I picked up those dogs from chainsawr. The price was right and they mounted right on with only a little fitting.

On a regular 116 I wouldn't go over 20" max unless you want to run 24" with .325 chain. Your bar mount should be a Oregon K095 or small mount husky.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/BMP/01?OpenDocument

I have been doing some shopping, dreaming, and reading about different bar chain combinations.....I found a 24" Oregon KO95 with a full skip full chisel chain.
Will my 116 pull this chain on a 24" bar or am I pushing it too much?
With the dogs I installed, this will give my about 22" of effective bar length. My intended use will be to buck larger hardwood logs (every once in a while). All of my other chains for my 18" bar are Full Chisel, 3/8 / 64dl / 50

I have been doing some shopping, dreaming, and reading about different bar chain combinations.....I found a 24" Oregon KO95 with a full skip full chisel chain.
Will my 116 pull this chain on a 24" bar or am I pushing it too much?
With the dogs I installed, this will give my about 22" of effective bar length. My intended use will be to buck larger hardwood logs (every once in a while). All of my other chains for my 18" bar are Full Chisel, 3/8 / 64dl / 50
You're on the edge... A new Dolmar 6400 with a 24in bar would not be a problem but the older saws don't have as much power as the newer ones. I usually like to have more power than bar to keep myself from getting stuck or jammed. Also don't want to overload/stress a small saw with a large bar. Kinda like putting 30" mudders on a toyota corolla if you know what I mean. 24" isn't a huge stretch if you're using full skip but I wouldn't make it your primary bar.

Also what kind of sprocket do you have spur or rim drive? The reason I ask is if you have a rim, you can swap rims out for a lower pin/tooth count when you put the larger bar on. Same basic idea as swaping the rear end gears in a car/truck... Gives your saw a better power advantage to drive the larger bar with a smaller gear/spur.

Back