Show me your minty 044s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some nice lookin 044's...I'd like to post mines up, does a person have to have a host site for pics or can jpg's be attached directly somehow? I'm stupid on this internets stuff

All 10mm saws have the angled fins unless its an AM cylinder.
A few early 12mm saws also had the angled fins.
The only way to know 100% is:

A) measure the pin (captain obvious here)
B) Saws before Ser# 129583701 were 10mm. After that, they were 12mm

Brad,

I have six 044's, none of which are remotely close to mint. Some have skirted AF covers, some don't, some have angled fins, some don't, four have metal tags, and two have plastic. I believe they are all 12mm. Is there something in particular you want to see? Or just mint 044's in general?

Tony

Edited - One is actually a 440 with a metal tag 044 top cover on it.

Last edited:
Will a 10mm jug fit right on a 12mm bottom, or are there some modifications that have to be done?

Brad,

I have six 044's, none of which are remotely close to mint. Some have skirted AF covers, some don't, some have angled fins, some don't, four have metal tags, and two have plastic. I believe they are all 12mm. Is there something in particular you want to see? Or just mint 044's in general?

Tony

Edited - One is actually a 440 with a metal tag 044 top cover on it.

Nothing in particular. Just looking to make conversation and talk about one of our favorite saws. Everyone likes to show off their "toys":clap:

It's a direct replacement. However, you can't just drop a 12mm cylinder on a 10mm saw. The piston ring ends are in the wrong location for the 12mm cylinder.

Thanks!
But to clarify: Will the 10mm jug work with the 12mm piston, or no?

I luvs me some oh for for!!!!! I've got a nice but no pics of it, its been a door stop in Wigglesworth's shop for two years now. Lucky for me i've got an old beater that just wont die:msp_biggrin:

not sure if i did this right...and they might be side ways but heres my attempt at posting pics of my maybe not so minty but 044 just the same...10mm...and thanks to little possum for stearing me in the right direction on posting pics...the dual port muffler casing in the third pic just came in today so i havent had a chance to run the saw with it on

View attachment 295437View attachment 295438View attachment 295439

Last edited:
What's the story on the blue earmuff symbol on the older 044s? Mine has one.

And it's also old enough to say "Made in West Germany".

I've owned maybe 7 or 8 044's over the years, and they're probably still my favorite saw, ever. It's the one size fits all saw, it does everything. It looks like what people imagine a chainsaw looks like. The balance is nice, and the power is great. I used to just keep on rebuilding them over and over, until the crank case had rotted completely through. I sold my last 2 044s late last year, and it was a sad day. I'm running all 441crm's in that saw size now, but if I ever found a nice 044 I think I'd buy it just for nostalgia. It was the first pro saw I ever owned a long time ago.

It's true that the 10mm saws go harder than the 12mm, and that story about the 12mm saws lacking in durability is just a myth. I've owned some of each, and converted some 10mm saws to 12mm and the 10mm is the stronger saw no question. I'd take a 10mm over a 12 any day. I've had some older 10mm 044's that had so many hours on them the cylinder coatings were worn clear off in places. Not from abuse either, just from many many hours sawing.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back