Stihl 362 vs. Husqvarna 562XP interested in your thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm one of the few guys here that has run both the MS362 and the 560XP, and regardless of me being a Husky guy, the 560 is clearly the better saw. More power, quicker acceleration, less weight, and handles like a dream. It's almost a mismatch. Not suggesting an overall brand superiority, and most of you know I have plenty of respect for Stihl product. But comparing these two particular models, the Husky comes out on top hands down.

IF..........................we ever get the damn things. :bang:

They were supposed to have gone into production the week of May 22 @ the rate of 600 per week. Takes 3-4 weeks before stuff makes it over here to be sold.

Still many details that are unclear. Big questions that remain are do we get the 560 and 562? (small tail/large tail). Any weight penalty going from the 560 to the 562 would IMO be a stupid case of Husky shooting them selves in the foot, and giving up a significant advantage just to offer the wide tail bar option. If I can get both I'll order 25-560's to 5-562's. The 555 may be the sleeper here, but I've never actully run one yet.

Pricing should be in 357 territory, but nothing published yet.

I'm one of the few guys here that has run both the MS362 and the 560XP, and regardless of me being a Husky guy, the 560 is clearly the better saw. More power, quicker acceleration, less weight, and handles like a dream. It's almost a mismatch. Not suggesting an overall brand superiority, and most of you know I have plenty of respect for Stihl product. But comparing these two particular models, the Husky comes out on top hands down.

They were supposed to have gone into production the week of May 22 @ the rate of 600 per week. Takes 3-4 weeks before stuff makes it over here to be sold.

Still many details that are unclear. Big questions that remain are do we get the 560 and 562? (small tail/large tail). Any weight penalty going from the 560 to the 562 would IMO be a stupid case of Husky shooting them selves in the foot, and giving up a significant advantage just to offer the wide tail bar option. If I can get both I'll order 25-560's to 5-562's. The 555 may be the sleeper here, but I've never actully run one yet.

I know you well enough to know that you would never have stated that the 560xp is much better, unless it was an obvious fact......:msp_smile:

I agree with you on wanting the 560 over the somewhat heavier 562.

The price my dealer quoted me for the 560xpg here is the same as a 357xpg costs - but I am still waiting for the saw to arrive.....

Spike,
The annoyingly arrogant pretty boy Rep. I had the displeasure of meeting the other day informed me that the 562 was Canked in favor of a Large mount 560XP for the U.S. Market, and the hold up was "Emissions related". I took that to mean they have sold too many dirty saws in the first quarter to also release a second 60cc saw and stay under the emissions credit limit, so they were waiting for the second quarter.
He also said there was no rush to discontinue the 357 or 359..which struck me odd. Might as well dump the 357 and gain the room, while keeping the Cat strangled 359 to continue to recoup investment in the 357/359 tooling.

Strange dude. Glad I don't have to deal with him.
The Dork tried to sell me on a 357 and couldn't take the hint that pressure sales attempts piss me off. My Dealer was about in tears trying not to laugh. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Spike,
The annoyingly arrogant pretty boy Rep. I had the displeasure of meeting the other day informed me that the 562 was Canked in favor of a Large mount 560XP for the U.S. Market, and the hold up was "Emissions related". I took that to mean they have sold too many dirty saws in the first quarter to also release a second 60cc saw and stay under the emissions credit limit, so they were waiting for the second quarter.
He also said there was no rush to discontinue the 357 or 359..which struck me odd. Might as well dump the 357 and gain the room, while keeping the Cat strangled 359 to continue to recoup investment in the 357/359 tooling.

Strange dude. Glad I don't have to deal with him.
The Dork tried to sell me on a 357 and couldn't take the hint that pressure sales attempts piss me off. My Dealer was about in tears trying not to laugh. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Emmision credits are an annual, not quarterly deal. And being strato saws, these new models would help the situation. So, the sooner they get them to market, the better. The only hold up that could be emission related would be the certification process.

The two bar tail issue between the 560 and 562 is just unclear at this point. I know it's been debated a lot within the company. To me, the lighter weight is more important than a choice of bar mounts. But we know they're both being produced, and it's been posted that the 560, (small mount), is going to Canada. It's also possible that we'll get one now and the second one at a later time, rather than have all three models come out at once.

Very few of these saws will see bars longer than 20". (Except in the PNW, right Gary? :msp_biggrin: ) Mine was set up with an 18" and it was just a sweeeeeeet package.

I still think the 555 could be a surprise sleeper here. :msp_wink:

Yea, I kinda took the dweeb with a grain of salt.

The Emissions issue might not even be real, and just a convenient excuse the dork thought up on the fly.

He did flatly state that there would be no 562 though..just the 560 and then when I asked about mount size, he seemed to be cornered for a second before saying "Large".

I hear ya on the 555. I hate to think about replacing my 346, but the 555 looks like it just might be the only thing that might do it, if the 560/562 dosn't.

Should only be a couple weeks out now...again.:bang::bang::bang:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It is nothing more than another pizz poor example of how extremely poorly the Husky brand is managed. They have so many models of saws from 60-75 ccs customers get frustrated trying to choose a model and leave to by another brand.

It's a fact, proven by many retail studies, keep you product line short and well defined. Every see someone trying to buy a phone at best buy, more often that not they will leave empty handed, too confused to make the buying decision.

Also all the models push up production and operating cost, they drive up the cost of inventory, they drive up the markdowns when a model is discontinued. Anyone with half a corporate brain would have halted the 357/359 production six months ago and sold down the inventory to zilch, stock balancing distrobution in needed and then had a successful launch of the new saw.

Once again Husky cuts their own nuts off. Any other saw mfg product line is clearly defined, not Huskies.

Not saying anything negative about quality of product, just that they are run in a pizz poor fashion compared to Stihl.
I wouldn't own stock in a company like this for love nor money, long term they are going to be a shell of what they once were, it make take a few years, but if they don't get it straightened out it is going to kill them. They are taking a blood bath in profitability on the big box accounts, you wouldn't believe the charge backs on returns at Wal-Mart alone. They are going to have to continue to cheapen product to keep the margins high enough to offset all the returns/defective equipment cost.

Some like can bash Stihl at every breath, but one thing they have to admit, they are ten times better run as a company than Husky.
Husky has no strategic vision or planning/marketing that is evident.

My dealer just got a 40' new pretty wall of fixtures from Husky, he claims it didn't cost him a dime. If they've done this at all dealers, what a waste of corporate money. I've never seen someone buy a saw because of pretty chip board and powder coated peg hooks.

My stihl dealer sells off old beat up surplus shelves.

For a European company it is unbelievable it is run this poorly, with all the money they are throwing at the Mac brand, how they have whored they Husky product to included the lowest quality pizz poor box store products, instead of keeping it a pure high quality line is just nuts. In ten years the Husky name will be worthless, the name won't stand for the quality it once did.

We've all seen it with hundreds of American companies/brands that once stood for the best, they sold their soul to the devil (Wal-Mart-Lowes-Home Depot-basically big box retail) rather than stay true to dealers. Now they are either gone or they are a shell of what they once were. Enough of the rant.

If I were the OP it would be simple, I'd go down and buy a new MS-440 and have a saw that would last 20-30 years, a proven legend, no one can argue it isn't one of the best saws ever produced. Not really any heavier than a 362, but will spank it, more nimble than a 372. In the right hands capable of doing anything that would ever need done with a saw.

They'll be another MTD, with nothing but basterdized brands that mean nothing anymore.
I hope it is not the case, I hope at least in Europe that they maintain the quality image of the XP line.
I'm afraid the image has already started to suffer in the US with them putting the brand on the pos rebadged poulans.
Going to the box stores with their name was the worst thing that they could have done. People buy those pos and are unhappy with them and associate the husky name unjustly as a pos forever.
At least a dealer can steer a customer to a product that will meet their needs. Every Stihl dealer I know steer customers away from the little MS 170 saws if they can.

I wonder how many Husky dealers if they had known that this was going to happen would rather have a Stihl franchise. I know in this area, I would ten times rather own a Stihl dealership, nothing to do with the brand, hell I'm a capitalist, I would just rather own the one that would put the most money in my pocket.

Brand loyalty varies regionally, here there is a dealership that has both the full line of Husky and Stihl, 20' isle seperates both brands, facing each other. He says Stihl outsells the husky at least 6-7 to one. There are two more Stihl dealerships in town, I'd figured they would really push the Husky brand. But he says customers just buy their Huskies at Lowes and then he makes the money off them on service work.

It is nothing more than another pizz poor example of how extremely poorly the Husky brand is managed. They have so many models of saws from 60-75 ccs customers get frustrated trying to choose a model and leave to by another brand.

It's a fact, proven by many retail studies, keep you product line short and well defined. Every see someone trying to buy a phone at best buy, more often that not they will leave empty handed, too confused to make the buying decision.

Also all the models push up production and operating cost, they drive up the cost of inventory, they drive up the markdowns when a model is discontinued. Anyone with half a corporate brain would have halted the 357/359 production six months ago and sold down the inventory to zilch, stock balancing distrobution in needed and then had a successful launch of the new saw.

Once again Husky cuts their own nuts off. Any other saw mfg product line is clearly defined, not Huskies.

Not saying anything negative about quality of product, just that they are run in a pizz poor fashion compared to Stihl.
I wouldn't own stock in a company like this for love nor money, long term they are going to be a shell of what they once were, it make take a few years, but if they don't get it straightened out it is going to kill them. They are taking a blood bath in profitability on the big box accounts, you wouldn't believe the charge backs on returns at Wal-Mart alone. They are going to have to continue to cheapen product to keep the margins high enough to offset all the returns/defective equipment cost.

Some like can bash Stihl at every breath, but one thing they have to admit, they are ten times better run as a company than Husky.
Husky has no strategic vision or planning/marketing that is evident.

My dealer just got a 40' new pretty wall of fixtures from Husky, he claims it didn't cost him a dime. If they've done this at all dealers, what a waste of corporate money. I've never seen someone buy a saw because of pretty chip board and powder coated peg hooks.

My stihl dealer sells off old beat up surplus shelves.

For a European company it is unbelievable it is run this poorly, with all the money they are throwing at the Mac brand, how they have whored they Husky product to included the lowest quality pizz poor box store products, instead of keeping it a pure high quality line is just nuts. In ten years the Husky name will be worthless, the name won't stand for the quality it once did.

We've all seen it with hundreds of American companies/brands that once stood for the best, they sold their soul to the devil (Wal-Mart-Lowes-Home Depot-basically big box retail) rather than stay true to dealers. Now they are either gone or they are a shell of what they once were. Enough of the rant.

If I were the OP it would be simple, I'd go down and buy a new MS-440 and have a saw that would last 20-30 years, a proven legend, no one can argue it isn't one of the best saws ever produced. Not really any heavier than a 362, but will spank it, more nimble than a 372. In the right hands capable of doing anything that would ever need done with a saw.

You know a fair amount about saws in general, and the firewood business in particular. But as far as knowledge of the power equipment industry is concerned, you haven't got the foggiest clue as to what you're talking about. Your marketing knowledge is very week, and you've apparently drawn most of your conclusions based on emotional assumptions rather than facts. You can't possibly have any actual knowledge of Husky's profitability with their national accounts. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think you've been invited to sit in on any high level meetings in Charlotte or in Sweden. Lots of models means lots of choices, which is a good thing. Sorry to hear that it's all too confusing for you.

From reading many of your past posts, and then to stumble through this drivel, I have to wonder if you've been hitting the bottle all afternoon. "how they have whored they Husky product to included the lowest quality pizz poor box store products." What the heck kind of sentence is that? You really need to lay down and take a nap or something.

You're so far off target with many of your points that it's really pretty comical. My favorite is carping about how the brand merchandising/display wall is a big waste of money. If anything, Husky is copying Stihl with that idea. In fact Stihl was first out of the gate with that type of store merchandising, and they set a pretty good standard that caught most of the industry off guard. Over the years, Stihl has done a lot of good, not just for their own dealers but for the industry in general. Had you known anything about the OPE industry, you wouldn't have put your foot in your mouth about that one.

You tout the return of the excellent 440, yet you fail to mention how Stihl is raping customers selling that saw for $950. It's great that Stihl fans get a second chance to buy one of Stihls best ever saws, but at that price, they're not just paying for the saw, their paying the EPA fine that goes with it. Yup, Stihl is pretty smart after all.

Don't have time to address the rest of the holes that your rant was filled with, but have another glass of Kool-Aid and enjoy the rest of the afternoon. :rock:

Last edited:
I wonder how many Husky dealers if they had known that this was going to happen would rather have a Stihl franchise. ....

It is not that long ago that the Stihl fanatics in the US waited and waited and waited for the MS261 - because the were too many 260s in the US "pipeline", well after it was out in Europe - is that any better? :confused:

One model and it didn't take but maybe a month, two at the most to hit the shelves.

I'd be saying the same thing about Stihl, Troll, if it were they case.

My lord I can't even list all the saws in the 60-70cc class, I'm sure I'll miss some but 460, 357,357, 365 special, 365x torq, 372xp, 372 xt, 570,576 in how many versions, 560, 562

Most enthusiast on here will be knowledgeable, but my lord, can you imagine not knowing anything and try to go thru the decision process on all these saws. It is a perfect example of sku (store keeping unit) overkill. It is why when you walk into a Sam's Club or better yet a Costco the decision has been made by a skilled buyer, they weed thru all the different choices and limit you to the best two or three in a category, it's been proven people like this, it simplifies the decision process, the buyer has narrowed it to the best bang for the buck. In turn less inventory, less dollars tied up, less maint, etc, etc.

Only the people on here are truly the ones clamoring for any new saw, hell the general public has no clue what a 560/562 is and could care less when they come out to be honest. But put ten saws on the shelf from 60-70ccs and it will be damn confusing for a customer. It makes the average guy wonder why.

You may ask about the 440 and 441 being out at the same time, the 440 won't be out there long enough to even matter, it is a limited run, those that are knowledgeable and have run one will grab them up while they are available. While the local guy still has several 372xp's still on the shelf I'm dang tempted to just buy one to put up on the shelf until I can afford to have Simon or Terry Landrum do their magic on it.

One model and it didn't take but maybe a month, two at the most to hit the shelves.

I'd be saying the same thing about Stihl, Troll, if it were they case.

Not true at all, it was a year + the wait started long before that! :msp_rolleyes:

Also, I don't understand how several models to choose from can be a bad thing, if you have a clue what you are doing when choosing a saw...:smile2:

Troll, I'll guarantee that still didn't have inventory sitting in a warehouse for a year backed up. You make me laugh, it may have been year before someone posted about the saws release, but in no way did they miss launch date by a year.

Most people don't have the time or inclination to sit behind a computer and look up every spec of a saw, they feel the need and go out to buy one.

The difference between you and me is I can be objective about brands, hell stihl has made a lot of mistakes, made some ####ty models, but you just have your head so far up huskies azz you can't see the light anymore. I used to think you contributed but anymore the only contribution is running from one Stihl post to another bashing stihl, it's really getting old. If you actually run a saw, used one for a living you would have a little more insight to that there is more than one saw (346xp) that will actually cut wood. It's ironic on a pm from a guy that I've never spoke to, that he pointed the very same thing out without any solicitation. No one has the intestinal fortitude to bring it to your attention.

You know a fair amount about saws in general, and the firewood business in particular. But as far as knowledge of the power equipment industry is concerned, you haven't got the foggiest clue as to what you're talking about. Your marketing knowledge is very week, and you've apparently drawn most of your conclusions based on emotional assumptions rather than facts. You can't possibly have any actual knowledge of Husky's profitability with their national accounts. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think you've been invited to sit in on any high level meetings in Charlotte or in Sweden. Lots of models means lots of choices, which is a good thing. Sorry to hear that it's all too confusing for you.

From reading many of your past posts, and then to stumble through this drivel, I have to wonder if you've been hitting the bottle all afternoon. "how they have whored they Husky product to included the lowest quality pizz poor box store products." What the heck kind of sentence is that? You really need to lay down and take a nap or something.

You're so far off target with many of your points that it's really pretty comical. My favorite is carping about how the brand merchandising/display wall is a big waste of money. If anything, Husky is copying Stihl with that idea. In fact Stihl was first out of the gate with that type of store merchandising, and they set a pretty good standard that caught most of the industry off guard. Over the years, Stihl has done a lot of good, not just for their own dealers but for the industry in general. Had you known anything about the OPE industry, you wouldn't have put your foot in your mouth about that one.

You tout the return of the excellent 440, yet you fail to mention how Stihl is raping customers selling that saw for $950. It's great that Stihl fans get a second chance to buy one of Stihls best ever saws, but at that price, they're not just paying for the saw, their paying the EPA fine that goes with it. Yup, Stihl is pretty smart after all.

Don't have time to address the rest of the holes that your rant was filled with, but have another glass of Kool-Aid and enjoy the rest of the afternoon. :rock:

Yes, it looks like it is that way! :msp_rolleyes:

Wanted to thank the later contributers - SwampYankee, blsnelling, mdavlee, spike60 and indiansprings. Thanks to swamptroll and indiansprings for their additional comments.

Special thanks to spike60 since he used both models (I guess I should have originally asked for a comparison between MS362 and 560XP since the 562XP isn't out - dah!). I also enjoyed the discussion between the MS441 and 372XP (I see there is another thread on that topic). Also I haven't ruled out the 365 if money becomes a big issue.

Although I haven't made a decision, I am very grateful to all who responded. Godspeed.

Lute, the 365XT is goin to be the best bang for the buck and 70ccs. But I'd likely wait and see what the 560/562xp is like. :msp_smile:

Indian, about half the Husky models you listed are new models replacing the old models. Not to mention the XP counter parts to lower priced models. You've been knocking Husky pretty hard lately! :msp_wink:

Naw, Spike I don't have any knowledge of their business at all, after 18 years working for the people who represent their biggest account, and still having close ties to people in that organization, I've got a pretty good idea at how much business they are doing with that account and the level of returns they are eating. I've had two other Husky dealer's send PM's that tell me I'm right on the money, I'm glad your business is obviously better, and I'm not surprised with your excellent level of customer service. I guess the reason I still make 200.00 an hour consulting to major retail suppliers on a limited basis is because I don't know anything about business and marketing.lol How do think I can afford to cut firewood and buy all the toys, it's not because you make any money in the firewood business.lol I can respect your difference of opinion. You just haven't seen the way these big boxes break great companies, remember Sunbeam grills, remember Voit, remember Winchester Arms Company, the list just goes on and on. Husky should stay dealer based and get the hell out of the big boxes.

Indian, about half the Husky models you listed are new models replacing the old models. Not to mention the XP counter parts to lower priced models. You've been knocking Husky pretty hard lately! :msp_wink:

Several members have notised his current "hobby" - I guess we needed a replacement for 2K.... :D:laugh::laugh:

Several members have notised his current "hobby" - I guess we needed a replacement for 2K.... :D:laugh::laugh:

Yes my man, but I do agree with his quote below. What ever happened to 2K?

indiansprings You just haven't seen the way these big boxes break great companies, remember Sunbeam grills, remember Voit, remember Winchester Arms Company, the list just goes on and on. Husky should stay dealer based and get the hell out of the big boxes.

Latest posts

Back