Stihl 362 vs. Husqvarna 562XP interested in your thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cast my vote for a 365sp, if you can find one. I had one up until a few days ago and loved it to death. The thing is as tough as pro saws come, it's fast and it's got tons upon tons of power for firewood cutting. The ONLY reason I got rid of mine was due to needing a bigger saw, because the wood I'm cutting is quite large (so traded it towards a 390xp :p).

Can't speak for the 365xt as I haven't used it, but I'd imagine it's just as good as the sp if not better.

EDIT: also, the 361 is an exceptional saw. I have a friend who has one and it's basically Stihl's 365. Main reason I went with the 365 over the 361/2 is due to my dealer having great prices on Huskies (Stihl is so freakin' expensive 'round here...). Either one is a sure bet for firewood, though. ;)

Last edited:
"..... Husky should stay dealer based and get the hell out of the big boxes.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It is my opinion Husqvarna is tarnishing their image by allowing their saws to be sold in big box stores where there is no service or warranty work being done. Sure they are selling a lot of saws, but when things go wrong with the saw nobody in the building is there to support them (neither Husqvarna or the buyer). If the box store simply gives them a refund, or another new saw, the buyer is happy, but likely now considers the saw a "disposable", no matter what the cause/reason for the saws failure. That can't be good for Husqvarna's reputation. Many saws are returned due to an unknowledgable owner's error and misunderstanding of saws and how they operate/ A good dealer eliminates this confusion and educates the buyer. Buyers like to feel they have bought a good product from a company that stands behind both them and their product. Most dealers know this.

I believe Stihl is doing business correctly and protects their image and product integrity like few other companies. My Stihl dealer also has Echo and Husqvarna dealershiops. He absolutely hates it when people bring in stuff for service / warranty work they purchased from a big box store. The amount of time he has to spend teaching/educating them about their saw/trimmer is time someone at the box store should have spent. After all, they got the sale, not the dealer.

If all the Husqvarna dealers go out of business, due to Husqvarna's present business model, where will the saws go for service / warranty work? I'll stick to Stihls for this reason alone. Plus, I like hanging out at the saw shop and learning about power equipment.

Winchester's demise started in the 60's bc they were building guns that were more labor-intensive than the competition. Voit was gobbled up in the 50's by AMF whose greatest contributions were bowling and Gremlins.

Yes my man, but I do agree with his quote below. What ever happened to 2K?

That is what Husky do here - servicing dealers only (not so with Stihl thogh). I guess it varies on different markets, what the different brands do.

I don't know what happened with 2K, but I surely miss my old "enemy"! ;)

I don't really give a damn what big box stores do to husky's image in the US. As far as I'm concerned, the XP saws are uncompromising professional grade saws and they'll remain that way.

Guys, I have no issue with the quality of Huskies saws, none what-so ever. They are every bit as good as any Stihl, some models prolly are better, depending on the model it could be vice versa with Stihl.

I admire Spike for sticking up for his company. It would be tough for me to do when they give W-M and Lowes and Depot buying terms like 2%net60 which equates into 260 days dating at the cost they borrow money. I bet the dealers would like to have those terms.
Also when a customer brings a so called "defective unit" in, it is no questions ask, give a refund. The way WM operates is they just deduct the return from the Husky's next check. I bet the dealers wish they didn't have to call for approval's, just deduct it from their next check.
I bet the dealers wish they received literally hundreds of thousands in promotional/ad allowances.
I bet the dealers wish they could buy at the same cost that the box store buys from.
I worked the last five years for Winchester, they attribute the demise of the brand to lowering quality to meet K-Marts needs in the 60's and early 70's even licensing their name to them, K-Mart produced cheap import items with what was a premium name, people lost confidence in the name. The only viable part of that company left is the ammunition division, everything else is licensed out today.
We all need them to be successful, my critisism isn't aimed at there product. Competition between them and Stihl drives the product innovation that benefits all of us. Husky wouldn't make as good as product without Stihl and the same the other way around.

I'm just saying their focus is off, take care of the guys like Spike, for every saw a box store sells he loses a sale. Keep the name off the product like the cheaper rebadged poulans, keep the product worthy of the premium name it has always been.

Troll, you may have dealers with only the latest product, the local dealer, has the 372xp, 372xt, 570 and 576, 365 all sitting on the shelf, they are not like Spike, they have a 19 or 20 year old that barely can tell you which end of a saw cuts. He couldn't guide a customer to which one best suites him if he had too. He doesn't even run saws. Less than 20' away he has the full Stihl line, it's clean, he only has the 441 and 460 in that class of saw.
I keep trying to buy a 372xp there, but they won't come off the 829.97 msrp, they still think they are available. lol

One of the dealer's that pm'd me stated it is getting tough to make any margin on saws, because of internet distro, big box, tractor supply, due to guys go on line and find dirt cheap pricing, where someone is violating the map pricing, almost to the point where it is hardly worth carrying saws, all that it keeping the doors open is parts and service. Another pm's saying they are both a Stihl and Husky dealer and the last couple of years it's about a 10:1 ratio in sales, stihl to husky, some of this may be regional preference, or the dealer pushing stihl because of higher margins.

Bottom line don't have the Husquvarna name on a sign above a 79.99 push lawn mower at Wal-Mart, like last year, I haven't looked this year. There is too much brand equity in the name to put it on **** products like that.

I have nothing against Husqvarna XP saws either. Hell, I'd like to get a 346XP to compliment my team. You missed the point entirely. The consumer grade saws are where the big saw companies get their revenue. Their sales pay the bills and outnumber "Pro" saw sales by probably 100 : 1. Without a strong selling of those saws, neither of the big saw companies would continue to exist profitably. Wouldn't your "PRO" saw dealer have a better bottom line if Husqvarna only sold through dealers? Try asking a dealer what they think and you'll change your tone quick. Box store sells do not help dealers, or the company's image. It's not rocket science.

I have nothing against Husqvarna XP saws either. ......

Well, I have nothing against Stihl in general either, but their current models just have too many features that they probably think is nice in the design of their "strato" saws - and that just don't fit with what I want, as the the saws have become too large and heavy for their class. They did it right with the MS361, but never followed up on that one....:pumpkin2:

Let's hope they are on the right track with the 461 and the re-intro of the 440 - but we know too little about those, so far.

There is little money to be made on the sale of a saw. My Husky dealer has told me more than once that he is glad he has a Lowes close-by selling saws. The warranty work is a steady source of income and it gives him a chance to educate the Lowes customer when they drop the saw off for work. If the general public was aware of the Poulan relationship I would think that the degradation arguement would have some merit. But in general, the Husky saws sold at Lowes perform well enough to keep the general public happy with the brand.

Your dealers experience is far different than mine. Mine says he wastes too much time explaining how saws work and argueing with box store customers whose saws / trimmers are NOT covered under warranty due to misuse, straight gassing etc.... there's certainly no money to be gained in that. To boot, the box store customer gets bent with him and leaves NOT happy with the brand. My dealer has had his dealership for 41 years in a very large city. He's a pretty wealthy guy and does most of his business with municipalities, highway crews, large landscaping businesses and utility companies. True there's not much to be made in a saw purchase, but that number would rise at his dealership by quantum leaps if all the smallish consumer saws were purchased at a dealership instead. Husqvarna would be doing both their dealers and consumers a great favor.

Last edited:
Guys, I have no issue with the quality of Huskies saws, none what-so ever. They are every bit as good as any Stihl, some models prolly are better, depending on the model it could be vice versa with Stihl.

I admire Spike for sticking up for his company. It would be tough for me to do when they give W-M and Lowes and Depot buying terms like 2%net60 which equates into 260 days dating at the cost they borrow money. I bet the dealers would like to have those terms.
Also when a customer brings a so called "defective unit" in, it is no questions ask, give a refund. The way WM operates is they just deduct the return from the Husky's next check. I bet the dealers wish they didn't have to call for approval's, just deduct it from their next check.
I bet the dealers wish they received literally hundreds of thousands in promotional/ad allowances.
I bet the dealers wish they could buy at the same cost that the box store buys from.
I worked the last five years for Winchester, they attribute the demise of the brand to lowering quality to meet K-Marts needs in the 60's and early 70's even licensing their name to them, K-Mart produced cheap import items with what was a premium name, people lost confidence in the name. The only viable part of that company left is the ammunition division, everything else is licensed out today.
We all need them to be successful, my critisism isn't aimed at there product. Competition between them and Stihl drives the product innovation that benefits all of us. Husky wouldn't make as good as product without Stihl and the same the other way around.

I'm just saying their focus is off, take care of the guys like Spike, for every saw a box store sells he loses a sale. Keep the name off the product like the cheaper rebadged poulans, keep the product worthy of the premium name it has always been.

Troll, you may have dealers with only the latest product, the local dealer, has the 372xp, 372xt, 570 and 576, 365 all sitting on the shelf, they are not like Spike, they have a 19 or 20 year old that barely can tell you which end of a saw cuts. He couldn't guide a customer to which one best suites him if he had too. He doesn't even run saws. Less than 20' away he has the full Stihl line, it's clean, he only has the 441 and 460 in that class of saw.
I keep trying to buy a 372xp there, but they won't come off the 829.97 msrp, they still think they are available. lol

One of the dealer's that pm'd me stated it is getting tough to make any margin on saws, because of internet distro, big box, tractor supply, due to guys go on line and find dirt cheap pricing, where someone is violating the map pricing, almost to the point where it is hardly worth carrying saws, all that it keeping the doors open is parts and service. Another pm's saying they are both a Stihl and Husky dealer and the last couple of years it's about a 10:1 ratio in sales, stihl to husky, some of this may be regional preference, or the dealer pushing stihl because of higher margins.

Bottom line don't have the Husquvarna name on a sign above a 79.99 push lawn mower at Wal-Mart, like last year, I haven't looked this year. There is too much brand equity in the name to put it on **** products like that.

See, now this is the quality of your usual posts. Looks like we have an interesting discussion here. I'm as militant as anyone, but people just have to get past the automatic reaction when the term "box store" enters the discussion.

The Husky full line catelog has more than 200 SKU's in it. Lowes, TSC and such carry maybe 10 or less models in their stores. Nearly all of them are entry level price point models; many of which I don't carry myself. The degree to which the box stores affect me in that regard is very limited. The degree to which individual dealers choose to interact with the box stores and box store customers is a matter of personal choice combined with local market realities. I don't want to, and I don't need to, so I'm able to maitain my distance from that mess. I don't do warranty work on box store products of any brand. My business is geared towards the pro and serious user with Exmark, Husky and Red Max leading the way. I don't need to compete with the box stores, and they can't compete with me.

One important lesson I learned a while back is this: A guy buying a saw or mower at the box store is going to do that regardless of what brands that store carries. That's where he shops, he saw chainsaws in there last week when he was buying paint, decides to buy one and that's where he goes back to get it. It could be a Husky from Lowes, and Echo from Depot, or whatever brand is on the shelf. THAT"S the dynamic that dealers are competing with. It doesn't realy matter if Lowes has the same or different brand as me. If they didn't have Husky, they'd still be selling some other brand saws to people who never heard of my store.

It's too bad that box stores only get 60 day terms, because Husky gives me 360 day terms. I get a volume discount on every order and a growth rebate at the end of the year. Free freight on 10 handheld units and 6 wheeled goods. (Any combo of mowers and tractors.) Free freight on parts and accessory orders of $100 or more. They do not charge me one cent for all of their internet and national print and TV ad programs. Best program in the industry right now. (Stihl dealers can feel free to comment here on how well Stihl is treating them in these areas.)

Drawing analogies to illustrate or re-enforce a particular point can be misleading, so I'll address a few.

Winchester's demise began in 1964 when they changed their manufacturing process and they were never able to stop their downhill slide. I'm surprised that more gun guys haven't jumped on that point yet.

Homelite/McCulloch destroyed themselves not so much because they entered the box stores, as because they abandoned the rest of the business.

Another change in the OPE business must be understood, yet many people fail to notice it. All companies, including Stihl, now make entry level products in most categories. A while back, the business model was that the name brand companies made and sold the good stuff through dealers, while the mass retailers mostly sold private label brands that they had built for them. The only private label brand still going strong is of course Craftsman. Today's mass retailers want branded, not private label products.

So, Husky in the box stores is not very unique in today's world, and simply being there does not mean the beginning of the end for any company. Is John Deere going to be out of business in 10 years just because they are selling cheap tractors in Lowes? Hardly.

However I do feel that all of these companies are diluting their brand strength/image by selling price point products. And it matters not whether they are sold in a mass retailer or a dealer. Anyone buying those lowest priced products could have the classic, "they aren't what they used to be" reaction.

Glad we're still friends!

The 562xp/xpg IPL also is out, on the US web-site, as is the 560 one.

Some obsevations so far, regarding differences;

- Air filter and top cover is different, as expected.

- Bar pad and bolts are different, as expected.

- Clutch drums and rim options are the same. Not really expected, and the part numbers for the rims are a bit confusing....

Last edited:
Hmmm - to me it looks like you will get both the 560 and the 562, based on the IPL releases?

Hope so, but I don't have any accurate info on that. I just want the lightest of the two. Most customers would pick lighter weight over the large tail mount.

How do you feel about it? Do you ever give any consideration to weight? :msp_rolleyes: :msp_tongue: :cheers:

Hope so, but I don't have any accurate info on that. I just want the lightest of the two. Most customers would pick lighter weight over the large tail mount.

How do you feel about it? Do you ever give any consideration to weight? :msp_rolleyes: :msp_tongue: :cheers:

I agree with you (as do Jack if memory serves), and have said that every time it has been discussed. :msp_smile:

Regarding weight, I surely care - but I have never weighted a saw, and get the slightly heavier heated ones when it is an option. :D

Back