Stihl quality = bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl quality= bad may be a bit harsh.I don't say any one brand in particular is better than another,(Except old Macs,they are.) I'm sure they all made a poor decision or 3.I have a 210, I don't know what all they changed when they made it a 211, but my 210 has done fine.With a little muffler mod that I learned to do right here it does even finer.I bought my 210 used and cheap, but I probably would just pick up a woodshark if I was going to buy a saw that size new.
I guess I would be plenty hot if I spent 800 bucks on a saw and broke it right off, but the dealers here would take it back no questions.

Flatie, I'll sell you my ms210 for 400$, that's half what you paid and this one is already modified and proven.I'll even throw in a new chain.It may change your mind on stihl quality.

So what is the problem, eh?

How many Stihl dealerships have you worked at?

You one of the %95,????

Nothing. Just had a fairly good reason to say "Holy fish balls"

... D'oh... we have a fish on this site. Oops.

What is the problem here?

Almost every dealership I have worked for pushes the tech to put the chain on and shut up....

I would tell the customer about the issue, because when he comes back, he needs to know why he now needs a new "chain and sprocket now".....

For a tech to spend @ a half of an hour to explain why the customer's chain needs to be retensioned every other cut, then to go on and explain why he "NOW" needs a new "chain" and sprocket, the day after he just bought a new chain, is an ugliness the owner doesn't want to deal with...

Stihl quality= bad may be a bit harsh.I don't say any one brand in particular is better than another,(Except old Macs,they are.) I'm sure they all made a poor decision or 3.I have a 210, I don't know what all they changed when they made it a 211, but my 210 has done fine.With a little muffler mod that I learned to do right here it does even finer.I bought my 210 used and cheap, but I probably would just pick up a woodshark if I was going to buy a saw that size new.
I guess I would be plenty hot if I spent 800 bucks on a saw and broke it right off, but the dealers here would take it back no questions.

Flatie, I'll sell you my ms210 for 400$, that's half what you paid and this one is already modified and proven.I'll even throw in a new chain.It may change your mind on stihl quality.
Hell Ill send him a new 211 for $700 :msp_rolleyes:

I raised all kinds of hell when Stihl put out the IDC/Ryan crap for their homeowner trimmers, they were pigs to work on, I still get a few in here today.

What is the problem here?

Almost every dealership I have worked for pushes the tech to put the chain on and shut up....

I would tell the customer about the issue, because when he comes back, he needs to know why he now needs a new "chain and sprocket now".....

For a tech to spend @ a half of an hour to explain why the customer's chain needs to be retensioned every other cut, then to go on and explain why he "NOW" needs a new "chain" and sprocket, the day after he just bought a new chain, is an ugliness the owner doesn't want to deal with...
Well not here, if it takes me a hour to explain what I need to for a customer to be happy with there product or to understand something then I will. If my boss doesnt like it Ill move on. My boss understands its about customer relationships, thats what keeps them coming back. I hate it when I hear these horror storys about how people were treated by there dealer. I wish I could just step in.

Hell Ill send him a new 211 for $700 :msp_rolleyes:

Yea, but he already had a new 211 and he didn't like it.This one is already proven:cheers:And redheadwoodshedized is too long and a bit pretentious to boot,but thanks to you guys here I do have it running better than stock.
That's a little bitty saw anyways, go on and get that nice new 290.

Yea, but he already had a new 211 and he didn't like it.This one is already proven:cheers:And redheadwoodshedized is too long and a bit pretentious to boot,but thanks to you guys here I do have it running better than stock.
That's a little bitty saw anyways, go on and get that nice new 290.
Ill sell him a 290 for $700

Well not here, if it takes me a hour to explain what I need to for a customer to be happy with there product or to understand something then I will. If my boss doesnt like it Ill move on. My boss understands its about customer relationships, thats what keeps them coming back. I hate it when I hear these horror storys about how people were treated by there dealer. I wish I could just step in.

Well don't take offense, I have worked for over a dozen Stihl dealers, and most treat their techs like poop. The need to be back turning wrenches
and making money. Don't let the customers talk to the techs, they have no people skills, and tell the truth......

They don't want you spending the time to explain ****, as most of these testosterone poisoined areshole customers wouldn't listen anyway.

Sorry, just worked for enough Stihl Dealers to know.....

You work at a Stihl dealership? How long has he been a dealer? How long have you worked there?

I have only had 1 or 2 dealer jobs that gave me any autonomy or respect......

IMHO, the OP has a right to be upset about this failure. However, I didn't even bother to read past the first post, because of the way it was presented. I'm only posting now due to curiousity about what drove it to be 7 pages long. The OP was nothing less than a short sighted rant. It's pretty obvious that he got a bad saw. I just got a bad 550XP from Husqvarna. Does that make it a bad saw? Hardly! Most of you know that I'm no fan of Stihl homeowner saws. I won't own one. There are better options out there. But, to go off on the brand as the OP did is simply short sighted. Even the homeowner saws fill their roles quite well. If this were a common problem, we of all people would know about it. It's not. Take your saw back and get another one, plain and simple.

This echoes my thoughts. Whole lotta drama from the first post on. BTW, some of today's plastic compounds are plenty tough for holding metal studs.

Had that been my saw, I'd have taken it back on warranty or put some loctite on it myself and gone to cutting wood. Yeah, I like a good Interweb dust-up now and then. We've had some real doozies on AS. This one barely ripples the pond. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

You work at a Stihl dealership? How long has he been a dealer? How long have you worked there?

I have only had 1 or 2 dealer jobs that gave me any autonomy or respect......
Ive been a tech for two years now. I love it, I manage the shop. Im the only tech.

I guess it is good that the pawn shop sold the $75 MS-211 I saw one evening. I didn't have any cash on me at the time. I went by the next morning and whaddaya know, it was already gone. :dizzy:

You also are dragged out on the selling floor to respond to questions.

You also set up new units, show the customer how to start and safely run the saw...

If anyone has a problem with anything, you are the first stop.

You make @$10 an hour......

No overtime for Sat.....

Sorry, been there.....

Back