Used 7900 or New 7300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my thoughts, if you're that anal about your saws, why would you want to buy a new one just to bastardize it later? Sure, it will have the 7900 jug, but it won't match the serial numbers and the stickers will be wrong. I don't know about you, but when I buy a tool, I'm not interested in frankensteining it. People who do that are people who have been breathing too many saw fumes and or have their head up their bums.

Agreed, he contributes so incredibly much, and several of the people taking the cheapest stabs at him contribute nothing of value at all. Go figure.

I is not a real problem - some just get a bit sensitive when I make posts they don't like, and react by trying to discredit me. They aren't many, but they some times make a lot of "noise" - I couldn't care less, really - I have a thick skin! :biggrinbounce2:

I don't see the point of trying to insult me, but any saw purchase by a non-pro is more or less personal, based on several factors.

That doesn't mean that you need a doctor, it is just the way it is.

It wasn't meant to be an insult, but humor thats all.

im with space mule i have 2 7900 i would not get a 6400 or7300 and turn it in to a7900. just get the7900 and youl be verry happy just ask mommy for a front on your allowance good luck on your pick.

Save your money and buy a 6400. It's more than enough saw for your needs. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't run one.

I agree totally!!! The guys on this site tend to be gearheads. Most of the people who burn in my area cut with an 029/290 Stihl and call that their big saw. They think a 2065 is a monster and can't understand why I just don't put my 28 inch bar on it. I was cutting on a 30 inch red oak that fell on a highway right of way. Firewood around these parts tends to be more of a free for all especially when it on Penn Dots property and you can get a truck near it. Well the guy who was cutting on the the other end of this log was using a well used 455 Rancher with a 24'' bar. He was chugging right along on this log. I got my trailor load a lot quicker yea. But I had $1500 worth of gear. When I went back the next day for my 3rd load the only peice of wood left was a giant knot.

View attachment 167956

Thanks for all the help guys. I went with the 7300 because I think it will fit my needs just fine. Putting the Total bar on it was my idea and did not push the price up. I was able to walk out with an extra chain, $50.00 dollars in my pocket and a smile on my face. I will report back when I get it in the wood. :rock:

Those bars are better than oregon in my opinion. I had a 24" that has seen a decent amount of use and you can barely see where the chain is riding on the rails. They have real good steel.

Those bars are better than oregon in my opinion. I had a 24" that has seen a decent amount of use and you can barely see where the chain is riding on the rails. They have real good steel.

That's kind of what I suspected. The demo 7900 the dealer had the oregon bar on it and it did not look like it was holding up that great (you could tell the tip had been replaced and the rails were worn). That's why I went a different direction.

I'm thinking you're gonna be a happy man cutting with that saw. Congratulations!

Is that a 20"? I've got 24 on mine and it's just a bit nose heavy, they balance real well with a 20.

I'm thinking you're gonna be a happy man cutting with that saw. Congratulations!

Is that a 20"? I've got 24 on mine and it's just a bit nose heavy, they balance real well with a 20.

Thanks, I think I will be happy with it also. It just was not worth the extra $125 to go bigger for what I need.

That is the 20" which should be fine for about 90% of what I need. If I find I need the 24" I will get one later.

Congrats on the new saw!!!! Not trying to be nosey on you money end of the deal, but looking for anyother input on what a "in good condition" used 7900 is worth. I don't see to many on ebay to get a good idea what they sell for used? anyone have a dollar range? thanks alot!

Congrats on the new saw!!!! Not trying to be nosey on you money end of the deal, but looking for anyother input on what a "in good condition" used 7900 is worth. I don't see to many on ebay to get a good idea what they sell for used? anyone have a dollar range? thanks alot!

That was the just dilemma I was in, I was not sure what they were worth and the used ones I found were so close to the price of a new 7300 that I just decided to go that route.

Save your money and buy a 6400. It's more than enough saw for your needs. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't run one. Then when you have the money, you can upgrade to the 7900 topend, and save a lot of money over having started with a 7300.
I could not agree more. The 6400 is most saw anywhere for $. Is why I run 6401, 18 inch Superbar, 20 and 24 inch GB Titanium and only have $270 invested. I am not as good as the saw. I still have my money. Most think bigger is better and spend more. Question is why?

Back