What-a-stihls first tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was annoyed with the negative comments towards someone who is just trying to promote basic PPE. He didnt need to be so derogatory to treeslayer but he had a point. If you are going to post pics of a worksite that looks like its from the 1970's you should expect to get a little crticism.
We should do our best to post pics that promote our work in a safe manner. At the very least wear a hard hat and stay safe guys.
[/QUOTE]

Heres my question how dangerous were the 70's or was the issue that there weren't nonsense lawsuits or less scummy attorney's to sue everyone for the workers own stupidity.. My wifes grandfather was a bridge builder in the 30's my father in law in the 60's and 70's and still now and me in the early 2000's and they tell me that the work is no safer now then before , the decision to work safe is still ultimately the workers personal responsibilty, so whats the difference other the threat of a lawsuit, now we are bombarded by safety to the point that our production is often slowed, so I say teach the man commonsense safety and don't pile a whole bunch of PPE on someone who has no idea why they are wearing it.. And if your wondering whether I work with a hardhat and glasses , Yes and the men who I work with choose when and where they need it and I don't have to say a facking word to them they just know ...

Last edited:

Heres my question how dangerous were the 70's or was the issue that there weren't nonsense lawsuits or less scummy attorney's to sue everyone for the workers own stupidity.. My wifes grandfather was a bridge builder in the 30's my father in law in the 60's and 70's and still now and me in the early 2000's and they tell me that the work is no safer now then before , the decision to work safe is still ultimately the workers personal responsibilty, so whats the difference other the threat of a lawsuit, now we are bombarded by safety to the point that our production is often slowed, so I say teach the man commonsense safety and don't pile a whole bunch of PPE on someone who has no idea why they are wearing it.. And if your wondering whether I work with a hardhat and glasses , Yes and the men who I work with choose when and where they need it and I don't have to say a facking word to them they just know ...[/QUOTE]

Wonderfully said!:agree2:

lets see, no hardhat or eye protection and no chaps on the ground guy good way to get shut down or killed given something goes wrong and it will eventually. btw you should ALWAYS tie in when blowing out a top.

Your a :censored: plain and simple , he made the choice to cut that tree with at least one able body person there , so whatever If your gonna smash someone for something you have nothing to do with than ..... And let me guess your a guy who has learned all the new and more efficient ways to climb which makes everyone a hack , which by the way I HATE THAT WORD , and if he wants to climb without glasses his choice , I'm sure that he has had sawdust in his eye at least once before and it obviously didn't phase him ,and the hardhat theres no one above him so whats the issue there to much sun on his balding head , last time I looked the climber was the guy who works above the ground guys and they were wearing a hat, Or let me guess your the dope that believes if you fall from 50 ft. and land on your head the hardhat will save you , well your wrong it just keeps all the little pieces in one neat arrangement..

Last edited:
Heres my question how dangerous were the 70's or was the issue that there weren't nonsense lawsuits or less scummy attorney's to sue everyone for the workers own stupidity.. My wifes grandfather was a bridge builder in the 30's my father in law in the 60's and 70's and still now and me in the early 2000's and they tell me that the work is no safer now then before , the decision to work safe is still ultimately the workers personal responsibilty, so whats the difference other the threat of a lawsuit, now we are bombarded by safety to the point that our production is often slowed, so I say teach the man commonsense safety and don't pile a whole bunch of PPE on someone who has no idea why they are wearing it.. And if your wondering whether I work with a hardhat and glasses , Yes and the men who I work with choose when and where they need it and I don't have to say a facking word to them they just know ...

Wonderfully said!:agree2:[/QUOTE]
Next time you posts pics just photoshop a hardhat on everyone , lol it will save you from about 15 posts of explaining why ...

What a stihl you look like someone who works in trees , or slayer is just a good photographer , so stick with and don't let anyhting that someone says here to ya ever stick with ya , just do your thing and the naysayers or my motivation and laugh to the bank every friday night , my only advice is pull down your pants a little sawdust makes your socks itchy..

Look at the last pict. Not a twig snapped on the crab (?) by the house or the little maple by the road....let alone a bent gutter. Looks to me to be about a 3 or 4 inch clearance on either side.

A beginner (101) obviously would not even notice that.
Ya mean the crab that was trimmed a little too hard , your right thank god that nonone broke a branch on that tree it might be damaged lol , why are you mad now , this is amazing how large of a stick that somehow gets crammed up the arses of so many here , I don't care about what slayer does with his work or yours for that matter I just enjoy the pics when there is something to enjoy but dumping a thirty foot spruce is something that you learn in (101) tree cutting and if thats your qualification of expertise than i feel better about what I have learned and have much comfort in reguard to my future..

he took care of this tree in good time, never hit my big cable flipline I had him use, and he had a blast.

his first block was a big one, and watching him do his first takedown and rappel was a real treat.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lmfao, good job, remember to wear safety glasses and hard hat twice tied in when using chainsaw too.

PS: now TS why did you not have him take it through a block and lower to give him the experience of the ride lol:monkey:

Lmfao, good job, remember to wear safety glasses and hard hat twice tied in when using chainsaw too.

PS: now TS why did you not have him take it through a block and lower to give him the experience of the ride lol:monkey:
Oh schlit I think thats gonna stir the pot a PPE hating again , hey rope HI ...

Oh schlit I think thats gonna stir the pot a PPE hating again , hey rope HI ...

Personally ppe is not the only factor in a safe job. I have been guilty of not pulling my hard hat back up after it falls during climbing and at times forgetting it in another truck, miles away. Really I have seen accidents on other crews that were PPE preachers but lacked the skill level to work safe. I do try to wear mine but I don't feel if it falls to the ground while aloft I am dead like some would have you think. I almost never wear chaps in high heat but if you use my saw you will wear them. I started before they were mandatory learned what causes kickback and how to avoid it. It is my truthful opinion, I have greater risk of heat stroke than cutting my artery. Anyone who tells you they have always obeyed every safety rule is a liar imho. I will add that attempting to work safe and promote safe methods is a plus if your not being derogatory with advise given, more reminding than the I gotcha attitude! Also more emphasis needs to be put toward proper rigging, felling and climbing to prevent the need of PPE to protect us:monkey:

Last edited:
Ya mean the crab that was trimmed a little too hard , your right thank god that nonone broke a branch on that tree it might be damaged lol , why are you mad now , this is amazing how large of a stick that somehow gets crammed up the arses of so many here , I don't care about what slayer does with his work or yours for that matter I just enjoy the pics when there is something to enjoy but dumping a thirty foot spruce is something that you learn in (101) tree cutting and if thats your qualification of expertise than i feel better about what I have learned and have much comfort in reguard to my future..

If you tear the side off a tree that was planted when the kid graduated from college or the maple that was planted when grandma died you gonna see how much those trees are worth. You seem a little mentally challenged. I have the feeling you look exactly like the picture in your avatar.

well done take down, but Where was the PPE?

Glad to see that that the tree came down and no one was hurt. I think it is a dangerous president to set sending a first time climber up with out a helmet, eye protection, and only a steelcore filpline to work off.

Steel core fliplines are cut resistant, NOT CUT PROOF!! Anyone in the biz long enough has cut through metal of many different kinds. Nails, chain link fence, and tons of other crap that PO's have placed in or near their trees.

With a big saw, like in the pictures, running full bore, had the new guy slipped it could have been bad.

Osha, and Common sense dictates that climber should have TWO TIP's when running a chainsaw. It is a simple case of not putting all your eggs in one basket, even a SteelCore basket.

I use my DRT on single spar removals along with my flipline. I just throw it up a few whorls and I have a nice pendulum to move around the trunk and it helps that weight of the hips.

I have been training one of my ground crew, Nick, to climb. I believe in the low and slow approach to training. 1st time up a tree was dead wooding a Doug Fir. 2nd time up a tree was to chunk down a small Cedar after I limbed it, topped it and chunked it down to about 18ft. Low, slow and simple. I was very proud to see how Nick handled himself and he was stoaked at what he had accomplished.

As cool as it was that TreeSlayer's guy Josh did that removal, it would have been horrible beyond measure had that young man been seriously injured, or killed. This game is to dangerous to be taken lightly. The habits we teach the next generation are the ones the will keep with them throughout their careers, lets make sure they are good ones.

Glad to see that that the tree came down and no one was hurt. I think it is a dangerous president to set sending a first time climber up with out a helmet, eye protection, and only a steelcore filpline to work off.

Steel core fliplines are cut resistant, NOT CUT PROOF!! Anyone in the biz long enough has cut through metal of many different kinds. Nails, chain link fence, and tons of other crap that PO's have placed in or near their trees.

With a big saw, like in the pictures, running full bore, had the new guy slipped it could have been bad.

Osha, and Common sense dictates that climber should have TWO TIP's when running a chainsaw. It is a simple case of not putting all your eggs in one basket, even a SteelCore basket.

I use my DRT on single spar removals along with my flipline. I just throw it up a few whorls and I have a nice pendulum to move around the trunk and it helps that weight of the hips.

I have been training one of my ground crew, Nick, to climb. I believe in the low and slow approach to training. 1st time up a tree was dead wooding a Doug Fir. 2nd time up a tree was to chunk down a small Cedar after I limbed it, topped it and chunked it down to about 18ft. Low, slow and simple. I was very proud to see how Nick handled himself and he was stoaked at what he had accomplished.

As cool as it was that TreeSlayer's guy Josh did that removal, it would have been horrible beyond measure had that young man been seriously injured, or killed. This game is to dangerous to be taken lightly. The habits we teach the next generation are the ones the will keep with them throughout their careers, lets make sure they are good ones.

My first professional tree experience was not low or slow, I was asked if I thought I could climb up and cut an overhanging limb over 12500 volts. I said yeah; they taught me the knots and I climbed up seventy feet and cut the limb successful. I did have a brain bucket on and safety glasses. I prior to that, climbed and removed a tree for one of my mowing customers with only a grass rope and a wore out poulan. I free climbed it, wrapped my legs around the limbs and cut, I think back to that day and wonder wtf was I thinking. All this started in 83:monkey:

Last edited:
My first professional tree experience was not low or slow I was asked if I thought I could climb up and cut an overhanging limb over 12500 volts. I said yeah they taught me the knots and I climbed up seventy feet and cut the limb successful. I did have a brain bucket on and safety glasses. I prior to that climbed and removed a tree for one of my mowing customers with only a grass rope and a wore out poulan. I free climbed it wrapped my legs around the limbs and cut I think back to that day and wonder wtf was I thinking. All this started in 83:monkey:

good point......wayyyy more to safety than ppe. Employer has you covered in ppe with a double tie in...and you attempt a procedure you are not qualified to attempt. You die and his ass is completely covered.

There are inherent dangers in this business you cannot legislate out. Say a 90 foot dead tree bent over a roof with one leader. No crane/bucket access and no remote lowering points. You have to decide....should I climb higher and risk the top breaking out or do i cut it off right here and risk the block point for the rigging breaking out and taking you and the lowered top and the whole works crashing down on the roof???

Smarts and experience should be up in that tree but that is not always the case.

I agree the PPE and correct training since my free climbing day has made me a much better climber but I can also say that it has not once protected me from certain death. The fact is; it is a tool just like the silky and other tools of our trade. My hard hat has done more to protect me working under a truck from minor bumps on my head than any real accident from my aloft adventures. It may likely save my life someday but has not in near 30 years of continuous danger tree work. I still recognize the importance of staying in-line with rules of safety and attempt to do so at least 90% of the time.

Last edited:
good point......wayyyy more to safety than ppe. Employer has you covered in ppe with a double tie in...and you attempt a procedure you are not qualified to attempt. You die and his ass is completely covered.

There are inherent dangers in this business you cannot legislate out. Say a 90 foot dead tree bent over a roof with one leader. No crane/bucket access and no remote lowering points. You have to decide....should I climb higher and risk the top breaking out or do i cut it off right here and risk the block point for the rigging breaking out and taking you and the lowered top and the whole works crashing down on the roof???

Smarts and experience should be up in that tree but that is not always the case.

You got that right,we all started somewhere and if you survived without injury in many years of performing tree work it means you must be doing some things right. I am glad I don't have to make the decision you just pointed out today but definitely been there friend:cheers: I believe in safety but also believe there are many that have not experienced ninety foot in a dead pine in 25 mph winds between two house's and a ticked of nest of hornets :laugh:

I certainly don't have much to say about someone advocating PPE. Always a good idea to work safe and I would never say otherwise.

However, I read some of these safety posts and have to ask myself what planet are some of these guys from. Or maybe a better question would be what planet am I from. I started climbing in 91 and have worked for 5 tree services in that time. I have been doing my own work since 94 and have not worked for another tree service since 97. Two of the services I worked for were some of the biggest outfits in town, one of which was the largest residential tree service in my area. Both of the large companies were running 5 crews or better. In that whole time I only saw one climber wear a helmet and never once saw anyone wear chaps. One of the better climbers I remember wore shorts with knee pads in the tree.

Maybe I am alone here or just from the old school, maybe it's a regional thing but I never seen many professional services wear much in the way of PPE.

Granted, I wear my brain bucket most of the time now but not always. I am one of the few that do around here. Even the large contract, line clearance guys don't wear a helmet or chaps here. I know, I have worked right next door to them and watched them.

Kind of funny though, one of the larger services around here was on the news back when our big ice storm hit in 07 preaching the virtuosity of wearing a hard hat on TV while calling trees the "most dangerous vegetation on the planet", then aired footage of having to set a log down on a roof when he tried to take too much with his crane. He was the same guy who had the front wheels of his crane about 6' off of the ground when he tried to take too big of a piece. The same guy who was doing wheelies down the street in front of his customers house with his bobcat. I had to laugh about it when I thought back to his hard hat comment on the news. PPE is no cure for stupid...

Last edited:
What a stihl you look like someone who works in trees , or slayer is just a good photographer , so stick with and don't let anyhting that someone says here to ya ever stick with ya , just do your thing and the naysayers or my motivation and laugh to the bank every friday night , my only advice is pull down your pants a little sawdust makes your socks itchy..

Thanks treeclimber! I'll keep the photo shop thing in mind next time lol. It's nice to hear someone speak on matters of safety with common sense. Before my recent lessons in climbing I worked for a logging company and before that I've been a carpenter the remainder of my life and each boss/owner always operated a safe work enviroment with the aid of common sense. There's times added measures of protective equipment was needed but most of the times it wouldn't of made a difference, and actually became counter-productive. Try telling that to insurance companies and the brain washed safety police and it just falls on deaf ears.

My first professional tree experience was not low or slow, I was asked if I thought I could climb up and cut an overhanging limb over 12500 volts. I said yeah; they taught me the knots and I climbed up seventy feet and cut the limb successful. I did have a brain bucket on and safety glasses. I prior to that, climbed and removed a tree for one of my mowing customers with only a grass rope and a wore out poulan. I free climbed it, wrapped my legs around the limbs and cut, I think back to that day and wonder wtf was I thinking. All this started in 83:monkey:

Rope, you have more grit than I do. I'll take chances in some ways but when it comes to power lines, high voltage has always scared the :censored: out of me.

Rope, you have more grit than I do. I'll take chances in some ways but when it comes to power lines, high voltage has always scared the :censored: out of me.

In them days when you hired on to a job you did it. I was working for a line clearance company and so that is what the job was, training was not near what it is today. It is good that everyone cares to post about PPE and some of the other concerns but when done with the idea of belittling or calling someone a hack I call bs. Where is there work photo's, armchair climbers don't get no respect imo. Many of us do it to get their response because we know who's been there and who just reads crap outta books.

PS: Voltage ain't so bad once you learn to understand it, Volts can be described as pressure behind the flow=Amps but it is resistance or rather lack of; that kills:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back