Whats your profession, and why do you need your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Auto mechanic for the past 20+ years.I've cut logs,pulp,firewood in the past but just for my own use these days.Off road motorcycles are my main thing but due to my job my hands have crapped out so that's coming to an end.I enjoy working on saws because they're a light,simple machine you can fire on the bench and play with.They make all the right noises too:)

CSR representative part time for ISP, going to full time soon. (Tech support) Other job is working for the farmer for the past 5 years.. now its just seasonal ground work. That and also finishing up converting a barn into a house for the parents. Mainly use my saws for the 1-2 tress jobs per year and the stacked brush pile, or the taken down grove to make more field. Only use the wood for camping, soon to get a woodburner into the shop so iam glad i have a good stockpile goin and always lookin for more.

OOOOPs, wrong thread, I thought this was the one about our online
nicknames..
Well if you want to hear about my saw, then I have a lot to tell about
my "Fisherized" Eager Beaver, with the "patented" "MAGLEV" bar chain
system, with a 42" bar, with a 19 pin 1/4" sprocket, and a Kenworth
exhaust stack.
We are still havingtrouble with the temps affecting the fuel injection
computer, as the liquid nitrogen is a tad chilly, and we had to switch
to Oregon 25ap, as the Stihl chain was too brittle, and when the chain
reached those speeds, all hell broke loose.

I am a Mechanical Engineer and I use my saws to prove that I mean business on the jobsite. Just kidding. Although it does open a few eyes in the labour pool when there's a tough tree to fell on a jobsite for whatever reason and I, desk jockey extraordinaire, pull up with my 7900 and wedge belt to take care of it for them. The look on the faces of the newcomers is always priceless :jester:

I used to cut pulp logs when I was in highschool and for the first two years or so of University. My father was a pretty hearty logger who cut for about 10 years and really knew what he was doing, so I learned well from him. He and I used to tackle some bigger trees (30-48" in the butt is a big tree for me) for milling and learning how to knock those down safely has paid off in the long run.

I also tinker with saws to keep my practical skills up. I work on all kinds of things like snowmobiles, snowblowers, lawn mowers, motorcycles, ATV's, cordless drills, anything mechanical. An Engineer who loses touch with the "maintenance side of things" and/or designing for maintenance is useless IMHO.

I am a Mechanical Engineer and I use my saws to prove that I mean business on the jobsite. Just kidding. Although it does open a few eyes in the labour pool when there's a tough tree to fell on a jobsite for whatever reason and I, desk jockey extraordinaire, pull up with my 7900 and wedge belt to take care of it for them. The look on the faces of the newcomers is always priceless :jester:

I used to cut pulp logs when I was in highschool and for the first two years or so of University. My father was a pretty hearty logger who cut for about 10 years and really knew what he was doing, so I learned well from him. He and I used to tackle some bigger trees (30-48" in the butt is a big tree for me) for milling and learning how to knock those down safely has paid off in the long run.

I also tinker with saws to keep my practical skills up. I work on all kinds of things like snowmobiles, snowblowers, lawn mowers, motorcycles, ATV's, cordless drills, anything mechanical. An Engineer who loses touch with the "maintenance side of things" and/or designing for maintenance is useless IMHO.

So it's you!I wondered who engineered some of the garbage I have to work on-you know-that kind of thing where you curse,swear,throw things while saying"who the *%^$ engineered the likes of this!I'd like to have him here now and say-you effin do it before I wrapped my greasy paws around his neck"Grrrr...Grrrrrr.;)

worked at deere waterloo--then retired--have had oly saws--to cut firewood--for house--for 30+ yrs--now have others--090 stihl also---use them to cut the firewood--and help others cut trees--am starting to do more tree business---have spikes,belts,and such--want to learn to climb tree like mountain climber---heat with wood only--but have backup gas in case------------------

I divide my time between two ranches, I use a chainsaw almost everyday. Seems like there is always something that needs cut, fencing, brush, firewood, building materials. We started a clearing project last year, lots of alders and spruce to fall and buck.

Ray

I am a Narcotics Detective and believe me cutting firewood on my days off is a very nice stress relief and a good way to make money for the extra bills. Believe it or not all drug cops take a little off the top

Nice typo huh no way around that one I forgot the other" NOT" in there guess it will take awhile to live that one down. I will just sit here waiting for internal afairs to knock o my door:help:

Well this is my first post. Im a semi-retired contractor/land developer. I love doing art type Blacksmithing, woodcutting, and boating as a hobby. I've been chainsawing for about 40 years, and have cut a lot of wood. I have 4 or 5 STihl chainsaws, the largest being a 441. Cut wood for my outdoor fire pit, which is rather big, and cut about 10 to 15 cords a year right now, what i don't use, i give away to the needy. When it get's to cold to cut, I go inside my shop, crank up my forge and beat on a piece of metal.

I am a crane operator/foreman for a bridge contractor. I operate all types of construction equipment. I use my saws at work on clearing /right-of-way jobs sometimes. Mostly its just for firewood, and side jobs.

Back