Whats your profession, and why do you need your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The end of the work day made me giggle today. I was using Twinkle and cutting brush out of a road. I quit for the day but still had calks on. Started driving out the two track road. It is elk season opening day tomorrow. Met a pickup pulling a travel trailer and I started backing up. There were a couple of small fir (8" dbh) hanging out over the road. The trailer could not fit. I got out and asked, "Your saw, or mine?" They had no saw. I put my gear on and dug out Twinkle. I heard some comments about "that big bar on the saw". For once, everything went well and the trees were down and bucked in seconds. The hunter's mouths were gaping open. One said, "Gawd, you have a fun job!" They asked about Twinkle, I told them it was a 440. I felt like leaving my lavender earplug like a silver bullet before I packed up and left. Usually I get waved over by the hunters and then the comments start about, "Aren't you afraid of A. cougars B. getting lost C. being out in the woods D. everything else. That's why I've been giggling...helping the manly men out!:clap:

I'm an electrical teck. for a Weyerhaeuser lumber mill. Pretty cool job,I was real lucky to get it. This mill eats about 120 log trucks a day. WE cut 460,000 board feet per ten hour shift. I use may saws for extra income. :clap:

I'm a full time police officer but cut and sell firewood to help pay the bills. I worked as a tree faller for a small logging company many years ago and have also cut and sold pulpwood.

Ever since my dad handed me a Mini-Mac chainsaw to help cut firewood (When I was 12 years old) I've become hooked on chainsaws. Some of the greatest memories of my life are the times when me and my dad (RIP - 09/15/99) went to the woods and cut the heck' out of white and red oak for our winter heating!

Great site and great thread! :clap:

Communications Industry but love to use my chainsaw. I mostly just do firewood and drop a few trees for friends. If I hit lotto I would buy a slew of saws, a chipper and truck just for fun!

IT Project Leader (Computer Nerd). Live on 80 acres and just love chainsaws and cutting wood. I heat with wood and often give away firewood, just so I can cut more. I'm not sure, but I think that fun is measured by the volume of woodchips in your underwear at the end of the day. You just can't get that from a computer.

carpenter just dillrod nailing boards together.make box put an A on top you got a house .don.t need a saw to make living. but sure have stuck it the man owning one. I started in 81. fuel got out of hand the economey went bad alot faster than this time . must be media hype saying its good this time

I work for Harry and David...mail order fruit and gifts... I work for the IT dept supporting the shipping system. I get to dabble with SQL servers, desktop PC builds, barcode scanners, scales, weight meters and networks... I live out in the country and doing some non-commercial thinning of my property. Running the saws is like real work ;-) but a lot of fun. This year I've given away over 15 ton of word, I don't know how many cords as a lot was cut and then toss into someone's truck and trailer. I don't have a wood stove.... Seem like I should :confused:

Charles

I work as a mobile critical care transport nurse, ER nurse 5 years before that. Dad has always heated with wood, I never realized as a kid the economic value of this. Now my wife and I are looking for land to build a house on with a chimney. My way I guess of sticking it to the man. :D

I am a Narcotics Detective and believe me cutting firewood on my days off is a very nice stress relief and a good way to make money for the extra bills. Believe it or not all drug cops take a little off the top

I`m a social office leader in a local government and I need my saws for making firewood.

Roteiche

I am a male nurse, that has a small Llama husbandry operation.

As a side gig, I develop incredible chainsaw innovations that leave most
here in pure awe, my patented bar/chain invention for one, which I
have named "ENTENZ", and have copyrighted.

My name is "Fish", given to me by the older members here out of pure
awe and respect, and since I was in tight with Dennis, pure fear.

Do a search of my posts, and you will have months of omnipotent
pure wisdom reading, and you realize that I am a down to earth, humble kind
of guy.

But sadly, I am turning in early, so I can shoot some poor miserable ruminant that happens to stumble near my heated, palacial deer blind,
with full cable/internet options, as well as oriental massage girlies handing me
beers and giving me moral support, so you will not have the benefit of my
guidance tonight, but I will post pics of the carnage tomorrow.

Please be kind to Spacemule, he is my friend...............

Train dispatcher for Norfolk Southern. Volunteer fireman for 17 years. Use the saw(s) to cut firewood to help offset the cost of heating. And it's a great excuse to just to be outside...

I am a male nurse, that has a small Llama husbandry operation.

As a side gig, I develop incredible chainsaw innovations that leave most
here in pure awe, my patented bar/chain invention for one, which I
have named "ENTENZ", and have copyrighted.

My name is "Fish", given to me by the older members here out of pure
awe and respect, and since I was in tight with Dennis, pure fear.

Do a search of my posts, and you will have months of omnipotent
pure wisdom reading, and you realize that I am a down to earth, humble kind
of guy.

But sadly, I am turning in early, so I can shoot some poor miserable ruminant that happens to stumble near my heated, palacial deer blind,
with full cable/internet options, as well as oriental massage girlies handing me
beers and giving me moral support, so you will not have the benefit of my
guidance tonight, but I will post pics of the carnage tomorrow.

Please be kind to Spacemule, he is my friend...............

Hmmmm..... this explains a lot... but raises many more questions...

Retired equipment mechanic, pipefitter - welder. We heat entirely with wood and the saws get used for fence maintenance and all kinds of rough carpentry that goes with having a few cows and saddle horse. I dink around and repair and sharpen a few saws for friends too. I enjoy the foolishness of playing with modified saws and such for get togethers.

This is a fun thread.

I'm still in high school. Saws make noise, chips, and money. That is why they own me.
I work for friends who need tree work done, and have fun workin' on naughty saws

I'm an Arborist. Sorry but I make my living with mine and play with them too, I'm a real addict. Nice to see that everyone has a day job, but a little bit of a disappointment as well. I guess there is a few of us though.:chainsawguy:

I work at a Stihl, and Toro dealer in Upstate, NY. I've got a B.A. in History, I'm working towards my Masters in Secondary Education. I worked part time at the shop during college, and for the last year I've been working there full time to pay the bills. I own two 026 Stihls I put together from parts saws, and ones that were set up, an 028 Farm Boss put together in the same manner and a small Echo a guy dumped off on us at the shop. Some day I'll need a good saw until them I enjoy using my freebies. 4 saws for less than 50$ in parts and a couple hours of my time isn't too bad.

Back