Whats your profession, and why do you need your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a forester, although I seldom get out into the timber during my job. My chainsaw time comes from work I do on my 40 acre tree farm. Between myself and a couple of loggers, we have fell about 400 snags on the property. (It's an old burn from the mid 40's) I also figure I have cut around 4,000 vine maple stems. The most fun is cutting firewood; around 6 cords a year.

I do just about everything tree related...90% of what I do is tree service work,removals lot clearing,pruning,ect. and I also clear small patches of timber.Occasionally we plant and transplant trees as well...WIthout chainsaws I would die.:chainsawguy:

i work for the US army corp. of engineers, as a part time genaral maintanice laborer. i get to play with chainsaws to excavaters. also i go to college so felling trees, storm clean up and selling firewood is how i make enough money to pay for school and to fund all of my hobbies.

Welp I have a day job!!!!!! that keeps me traveling,,, I am a field service engineer for a large err ahemm entity,,,, and I inspect various stages of major equipment repairs/refurbishment that include large power transformers very large electric motors, generators, pumps, flow measurement equipment ETC,,, I have three younger brothers however, 2 of them work full time cutting and removing trees, 1 is a certified ab-horist,,, (Daniel,,,) the other full time one (Steve) has a large Prentice grapple on a 25 yard dump bed,,,, him and my stepdad clear land commercially The have 2 cat track hoes, and all cat dozer, rubber tired hoe Steve, carries an 066 and an ms 440 on his truck and the youngest Jody,,, is an electrician that has two stump grinders and also removes problem trees,, after hrs and on weekends, but if a hurricane hits he does nothing but stump grinding,,, I work with all three when they get in a bind uhhh and when I feel like it but they mostly keep me around cause I fix their saws when they BUST THEM,,, Daniel is the absolute worst,,,,, then Steve,,,, and Jody is the best of the three,, on the way he treats his saws,,,,, He just needs a better fuel management program,, The other two if it cost tomuch to fix they just give it to me :hmm3grin2orange: and buy a brand new one :rockn:

All of us used to climb but we are not doing much of that any more,, I did in the summers when I wasnt in School,,,, So I figured it out,,,, I just stayed in school,,, LOL:laugh:

I love saws and sawing,,,, mostly falling in fact I just bid a job with Jody to remove 18 pines ranging from 24" DBH to 16" off of a 3 acre homesite,,

and whats great is only two of them need climbing!!!! We can fall all the rest!!! :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: and Daniel will mill he wood,,,Jody will grind the stumps and Steve hauls off the green waste to the mulch yard,,, Its a family affair !!!!! and BTW I do get a little compensation!!!!!$$$$$ and when they dont have any saw work on the jobs I work part time @ the local Stihl dealer,, fixin broke stuff and most of it's broke due too un- informed people!!!! I forgot,,, we all heat with firewood,, too!!!! about two months out of the year on the horizontal 30 :):):)

Last edited:
29 years in a small precision machine shop and the last 8 as a power-lineman. Started out with one small saw as a dangerous homeowner and that one saw grew overnight into this grand addiction. Love it!! Thanks, in part to you guys, I am no longer a dangerous homeowner but a smarter and teachable guy that enjoys cutting.
Almost all of my cutting is forestry management for our 48 acre sports club as a volunteer. Cut our taxes in half when we reclassified it as woodlands and I get to do almost all of the cutting and blocking.
The best part - I usually don't have to move it or split it; a bunch of other guys do that!! :rock:

I work for the state doing environmental permitting. When I was in school I worked with arborists during the summers. Now I cut whenever I can and race at local contests. I would go to work in the woods in a second if I could make enough to take care of my family. Government work is a living hell.

I work in the woods, mainly keeping tabs on logging operations, use a paint gun a lot, and I'm down in the brush most of the time. But, after our district found out the hard way that most of the sawyers had retired, and we had a big windstorm to clean up after, I volunteered to buck out roads. I passed the saw test and they bought me a saw. So I'm doing that when the other work is caught up or operations are broke down. Way back, I worked on a thinning crew so I knew what I was in for. I also heat with firewood so have to have a saw for that. And, I do some volunteer work on trails once in a while, to atone for being an evil timber worker.

RiverRat2 & pbuehning,

Power to the people!!:rock: :hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Last edited:
I am an "inside" Journeyman Wireman full time and a tree farmer part time.I am inside usually if the weather is perfect. If there is a heat wave or artic-like conditions then I am usually outdoors.:D

My main job is being a fulltime single dad, I have a few other irons in the fire but nothing near as full time. My saws do more for others than they do for me but I generally don't pay for firewood and cut 3-4 cords for myself and about the same for others & family. When neighbours break stuff they bring it to me before they go to a real mechanic and I love tinkering around and fixing stuff etc etc.. I managed and ran security on over 1500 acres for about 12 years before I moved where I am now and that allowed me to sell a bit of wood and play in the bush at my leisure, I really miss that. Saws are very important aspect of my survival, but then so are all my other tools :) I'm stoppin' at that as it'll end up sounding like a resume lol.

:cheers:

I use saws during the cold months to help friends and older folks who really need the firewood:) I started off with a 029 and moved up to a 361 and 440. Me and a buddy usually provide quite a bit of wood with our Stihls:cheers:

I help with blow downs on my fire department too when our 272xp doesn't start/run.........

um bacon a FRYIN ! breahast is ready

Full time police officer. I put myself through school clearing building lots, logging and doing tree service work on the weekend. I always wanted a log skidder and could never afford one. I work on average 40-80 hours a week at the department. Last year I picked up a skidder. Now I mostly pick up side jobs as time allows. Mostly house lots, right of ways and logging. I also hire on as a second machine on my friends crew when he gets on big lots. I don't need to run a saw. However the satisfaction of actually seeing the fruits of a hard days work are immeasurable with me. It is also a great feeling to beat a piece of wood with a splitting maul when it just won't do what it is told.

: :hmm3grin2orange: : :ices_rofl: :censored: :sucks: :jester: :buttkick: :angry: :chainsawguy:

you need to fee l big? Typical of the little blue boys grow a pair

um bacon a FRYIN ! breakfast is ready!

Full time police officer. I put myself through school clearing building lots, logging and doing tree service work on the weekend. I always wanted a log skidder and could never afford one. I work on average 40-80 hours a week at the department. Last year I picked up a skidder. Now I mostly pick up side jobs as time allows. Mostly house lots, right of ways and logging. I also hire on as a second machine on my friends crew when he gets on big lots. I don't need to run a saw. However the satisfaction of actually seeing the fruits of a hard days work are immeasurable with me. It is also a great feeling to beat a piece of wood with a splitting maul when it just won't do what it is told.

: :hmm3grin2orange: : :ices_rofl: :censored: :sucks: :jester: :buttkick: :angry: :chainsawguy:
UN you nee grey matter to use a chain saw unlike perjury on NO DA to coach ya either way kind of funny .use chipper head first, test saw on wrist and always dropstart a sdaw between your legs!

UN you nee grey matter to use a chain saw unlike perjury on NO DA to coach ya either way kind of funny .use chipper head first, test saw on wrist and always dropstart a sdaw between your legs!

Well damm buddy.I always kinda liked you,but that's a little rediculous...My wife's also a cop

I'm an analytical chemist for a chemical company. I live on property with a couple of acres of woods and use a saw for upkeep and light firewood cutting. We only use wood as supplemental heat... I'm also a woodworker, so in general, I like wood.

If you haven't guessed it already, I am a plant biologist during the day. I stare at a computer screen all day at a university where I am pursuing my master's degree. I used to do a little arborist work, but haven't for a while. In my spare time I did some felling for a local logging company in PA. Now I am stuck in a small office.

Latest posts

Back