Which 60cc do you like??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh, Hamish, I forgot the triple nickle. I loved the 555 when I first ran it, and cheaper than the 562xp. 6100, hmmm, CT your getting it at the GTG you say???? And my stihl loving co-worker has a 357xp that I built him out of a box of parts, he NEVER runs it because its not a stihl. Maybe Ill have to get it off his hands. I put it together for him to try and sway him away from stihls. He started it the day I gave it to him, blipped the throttle a couple times and shut it off. It has never seen wood while in his hands. Sad right? Im a equal opportunity saw runner, just love orange more. Can't wait to run my Uncles 362c-m. Just wonder how much stronger its gonna be than my 262xp. Ill have 40 bucks into my 262xp, gonna go gasket-less and open up the muffler. Keep em coming guys! I remember Randy's build on that echo 600, came out strong.

562/2260, and the overlooked 555/2258, kind of rewrote the book IMO. I see the 357/359 and 257 mentioned, but except for hamish, the 555/2258 gets ignored. Either one outcuts the 357/359.

262 is of course a classic; got 3 myself. But part of the legend is that it did not share a chassis with a 70cc saw, and was therefore a lighter package. Saws like the Jonsered 630 or Dolmar 116SI would cut with or better than a 262, but you could be carrying a 670 or 120SI instead. Same applies to the 6401/7900.

562/2260, and the overlooked 555/2258, kind of rewrote the book IMO. I see the 357/359 and 257 mentioned, but except for hamish, the 555/2258 gets ignored. Either one outcuts the 357/359.

262 is of course a classic; got 3 myself. But part of the legend is that it did not share a chassis with a 70cc saw, and was therefore a lighter package. Saws like the Jonsered 630 or Dolmar 116SI would cut with or better than a 262, but you could be carrying a 670 or 120SI instead. Same applies to the 6401/7900.
Pretty much what I have been thinking all along. A lot of whats on the table is not that much lighter than a big cc jump. I am almost ready to button up a poulan 380 that at least has light weight in its favor. I hope the 2260 leaves a lot of saws on the bench/in the truck for me. Why carry around all that weight?

I'm sure the echo is a pretty good bargain but at 13 & change I might as well lug around my 91cc 064

Well said Spike!

I always seem to forget the 555, damn good saw!

Ahh, Hamish, I forgot the triple nickle. I loved the 555 when I first ran it, and cheaper than the 562xp. 6100, hmmm, CT your getting it at the GTG you say???? And my stihl loving co-worker has a 357xp that I built him out of a box of parts, he NEVER runs it because its not a stihl. Maybe Ill have to get it off his hands. I put it together for him to try and sway him away from stihls. He started it the day I gave it to him, blipped the throttle a couple times and shut it off. It has never seen wood while in his hands. Sad right? Im a equal opportunity saw runner, just love orange more. Can't wait to run my Uncles 362c-m. Just wonder how much stronger its gonna be than my 262xp. Ill have 40 bucks into my 262xp, gonna go gasket-less and open up the muffler. Keep em coming guys! I remember Randy's build on that echo 600, came out strong.

That's the plan, Matt. Kinda like a second Christmas. Steve's got more coming in- maybe one could have your name on it? :rolleyes:

Dealing with committed stihl-heads is kinda like with Moonies, no? I've had some success opening the mind of a friend who was being programmed by some stihl-heads. Now he has a PP5020, 30 cc Echo, a tough old Homie, a Pioneer waste of time, and an MS250 for sale.

Pretty much what I have been thinking all along. A lot of whats on the table is not that much lighter than a big cc jump. I am almost ready to button up a poulan 380 that at least has light weight in its favor. I hope the 2260 leaves a lot of saws on the bench/in the truck for me. Why carry around all that weight?

I'm sure the echo is a pretty good bargain but at 13 & change I might as well lug around my 91cc 064

We can almost break out the 60cc saws into two basic categories. Those that share a chassis with a larger saw and those that have their own chassis.

IMO a true 60cc class saw should occupy the middle ground between the 50cc class and 70cc class, not just in displacement, but in WEIGHT as well. The 562/2260 hit that target dead center. Saws like the Jonsered 630 and Dolmar 6401 offer no weight advantage at all. Not saying they're aren't good saws, and I love my 630's. But a 70cc saw with a 60cc cylinder can't really hit the sweet spot in the 60cc class.

We can almost break out the 60cc saws into two basic categories. Those that share a chassis with a larger saw and those that have their own chassis.

IMO a true 60cc class saw should occupy the middle ground between the 50cc class and 70cc class, not just in displacement, but in WEIGHT as well. The 562/2260 hit that target dead center. Saws like the Jonsered 630 and Dolmar 6401 offer no weight advantage at all. Not saying they're aren't good saws, and I love my 630's. But a 70cc saw with a 60cc cylinder can't really hit the sweet spot in the 60cc class.
That is the way I've always felt & the reason my 365 got a 75cc top end. But sold it because I'd rather run the 562xp.
:D

Well you all know I have to weigh in with the MS 362 C-M. I know it is a coin toss with the 562 XP, and they are both great saws.

The 362 runs strong, is very smooth, has easy to use controls and has a bar that is compatible with my 044. What more could I ask for?

Even though the 562 has been around longer and established a reputation as "the best 60 cc" people who have run both these saws often call it a toss up, preferring the 562 for limbing and the 362 for bucking. They are both very close in size, weight and power, and any saw that can replace my 10 mm 044 as my "go to" saw just has to be good.

The 562 when/if it runs right is just a sweet saw. But so far the 6 or so 357XP's have been flawless except for 1 saw with a carb issue. Replaced it and never a problem afterwards. I have a 034 super that I loan out and a 036 pro and prefer the 357's by a long shot. It looks like the 034 got changed out for the 359. The 359 is missing and the 034 is coming back! Can't even give em away. CJ

I have run a few 60cc saws and I would say my favorite is the 262xp 562xp, ran the ms362r cm and that was really nice saw bit heavy but not to noticeable and the ms361 all stock except the 262 muffler mod but I like them all cant go wrong with any of them and I
really like the triple nickel as a lighter option and the feel of it power to weight ratio
all the other brands I would have to actually see and run to tell some of the saws you gents are talking about and running have never made it to this part of Montana mostly husky and stihl fans in this neck of the big sky

Latest posts

Back