Wife says I can get a new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you start this thread to start a pizzin match? Well you did, too late now. If you want a Stihl because of local dealer/repair/parts you already over the hump. Put a few in your hands, I like the 361, I think the 290 is a heavy pig for what you get. But it's your saw, feel em, caress em, love em. :dizzy:

I cannot fiqure out what is going on here! I consistently blow ms260 away with the 5100 in fact the 510 is on par with the 260 from what I have seen!

Based on your description of use my vote is a Stihl 361. Any saw larger (372, 7900) is not going to significantly increase your cut time on firewood, though they will increase fatigue to your body.

Which ever way you go, keep your old saw. It's always nice to have another around when you get in a pinch. Or maybe I'm the only one who does that.:monkey:

No apologies needed.Your relatively new to the board.

Welcome to AS .........

I was just trying to point out that the difference would not be that noticable and he needed to step up in CC's.

Hey Troll Dude' what variables? All were even wearing the same chain.Except the 49SP.

Doesn't your 49SP have a Tillotson HR dual-pumper carb and 1-7/8" velocity stack on it?

No velocity stack.........but it was my saw at one time.I traded it for an old push mower I never use.Buddy needed a good saw for firewood and liked that one.Sometimes I wish he'd have picked another.

No velocity stack.........but it was my saw at one time.I traded it for an old push mower I never use.Buddy needed a good saw for firewood and liked that one.Sometimes I wish he'd have picked another.

I worked on a trails crew for the state here when I was 15-16. The sawyers on the crew had 49SPs and 52e saws to run. Listening to 6-8 of those saws going full tilt at once is a great, great sound.

Well time I jumped back in. I did not realize how much advice i would get...although some was back and forth bantering. I am going to follow it and visit several dealers. ( Stihl, Dolmar, Husky)

Troll was correct, weight is a consideration, I am no wimp, but have cut wood for 31 years and now have a herniated disk in my back. So I need a saw that is not too heavy but will do the job. I love cutting, splitting and stacking wood, but need to slow it down some. I did get alot of great advice. My wife is interested in the thread also as she thinks it is way cool that she gave me the go ahead to get whatever saw i need. She is a wonderful women, who can help stack, load the stove and occasionly haul the ashes!

I am getting ready to retire from my day job, after 32 1/2 years. So will have more time for the "good stuff".

Can't thank you guys enough! Keep the good advice coming. Dave

Yes there is a twist on words in there. She is a wonderful women! The advice is great. I saw Scooterbum's pic in reply #28 and I will pay attention, as you know what they say" a picture is worth a 1000 words" and his trying different saws holds some credibility!

Keep any advice coming...Dave

For 50cc saws, PS-5100s, 346XP-NE, and MS260 would all do well for you.

If you can handle a 12lb saw, step up to 60cc class, like a MS361 if you can afford it, a Redmax 621 if you can modify it, or a John Deere CS62 if you can't afford the Stihl. For $375, I'll meet you at Dewitt and put a brand new CS62 in your hands.

If you can handle 14lb, get a PS-7900, very little extra $$ over a MS361 and almost 2hp stronger.

Yes... you are right... and I was wrong..

My apologies to Scooterbum

No apologies needed.Your relatively new to the board.

Welcome to AS .........

I was just trying to point out that the difference would not be that noticable and he needed to step up in CC's.

Hey Troll Dude' what variables? All were even wearing the same chain.Except the 49SP.

:clap: :clap:

yep, 361, but its heavier. You might see if you can try a MS260. More power than the 028S, and lighter I believe.

Lighter yes, more power? - not the current US version.

Husky NE346xp and Dolmar 5100S fills the criterea, the Husky being the lighter and more nimble one....

My vote still goes to the MS361 though.....:clap: :clap:

Last edited:
According to "Acres" site the 028S is 13.9 lbs.

Stihl's site has the 361 at 12.3 lbs.That's a substantial difference.

Now I gotta go by the dealer today with an 028 and see if that is right.

Damn As site !!!

Might even have to run a 361............

Damn AS site !!

According to "Acres" site the 028S is 13.9 lbs.

Stihl's site has the 361 at 12.3 lbs.That's a substantial difference.

Now I gotta go by the dealer today with an 028 and see if that is right.

Damn As site !!!

Might even have to run a 361............

Damn AS site !!

It isn't true, there are some "unwashed" info on Acres site......

Edit; Noted that the 13.9lbs weight is with a 13" bar and chain.....

I will look up some more reliable sourses........

Edit2;
One source said 12.34lbs and the other one 5.6kg - that adds up just fine!

Last edited:
Back