Worst looked after Chainsaws of 2021

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziechainsaw

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know it isn't 2021 yet, but I thought I would get in early. We need to keep this one going for all of 2021 to show what people do to their chainsaws and what they treat them like before they either sell or give them away to us (Chainsaw Lovers).

I got given this Stihl 044 about 2 weeks ago. Was told (it was running when I last used it) . For the short time I have been playing and fixing chainsaws this would be the worst I have seen so far. Piston is seized and I cannot rotate it. Cylinder will have to come off and then see what it looks like.

We have all been there and we have all herd it.
  1. It was running when i put it away last
  2. Only been a few months since I last used it
  3. Just needs a good tune up
  4. Some fresh fuel and she will be a runner
  5. Just needs a carby kit
  6. Good runner
etc etc ect............. I am sure I'm missing some.

Attachments

• 20201222_151343.jpg
    20201222_151343.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 291
  • 20201222_151348.jpg
    20201222_151348.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 274
  • 20201222_184500.jpg
    20201222_184500.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 309
  • 20201222_184514.jpg
    20201222_184514.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 315
I know it isn't 2021 yet, but I thought I would get in early. We need to keep this one going for all of 2021 to show what people do to their chainsaws and what they treat them like before they either sell or give them away to us (Chainsaw Lovers).

I got given this Stihl 044 about 2 weeks ago. Was told (it was running when I last used it) . For the short time I have been playing and fixing chainsaws this would be the worst I have seen so far. Piston is seized and I cannot rotate it. Cylinder will have to come off and then see what it looks like.

6. Good runner

So.... when they put it away last did they put it in the bottom of their pond? Hahaha well if you end up with a parts saw let me know! I like the old 044s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing new in the life of a service tech I got a ms250 in yesterday guy says it’s my dads saw he replaced the throttle spring .... an trigger still don’t work removed air filter cover to find choke and throttle shafts corroded fast not varnished CORRODED green! I looked at the guy an asked where was this thing sitting and for how long??!!! They always look at you with that clueless look like duhhhh I didn’t think you would see that . Nah not at all buddy

Just missed an entry - a McCulloch Pro 1010s. Air filter missing, Starter and clutch covers and engine were so packed with oily sawdust there was no air movement at all. The bar looked like someone was chopping concrete blocks with it. Luckily, the coil was bad so it didn't run.

Just missed an entry - a McCulloch Pro 1010s. Air filter missing, Starter and clutch covers and engine were so packed with oily sawdust there was no air movement at all. The bar looked like someone was chopping concrete blocks with it. Luckily, the coil was bad so it didn't run.
Have you got photo's of it. I am sure it's worth an entry

Well, a day late and a dollar short. I'd been looking for a Super EZ for a while. it's the saw I learned to climb with back in the 70's. I was at a farm auction and bought two old Homelites, an XL12 locked up, and a Super EZ for $2 each. The XL12 wasn't too bad. Turned out it was the 3 fuel tank bolts backed out and locked it up. The Super EZ was so cruddy I used 4 cans of brake cleaner to get it clean enough to touch. The recoil would pull out but not retract. I pulled it off and there was so much oil and saw dust inside it left a perfect mold of the recoil. Then I noticed the EZ emblem was up side down. The farmer figured out if he took the 3 screws out he could wind the recoil spring tighter, so he did that. He didn't figure out that if he took out the 4 bolts, he could take the recoil off and clean it. Under the clutch cover was the evidence of his last use, it had honey suckle wrapped around the clutch so tight, it cracked the cover around the bar studs. All that said, after I cleaned it, and put a shot of mix in the carb it fired right up. Filled the tank, put a good bar and chain on it and it ran and cut fine. One of the great guys here gifted me a box of EZ parts and it had the clutch cover I needed. Alas, that was a couple years ago so it doesn't count.

But, I've bought 17 old saws from an old Stihl dealer, and he has 3 left that I want. He has an 075 that might qualify. Won't get by his place for a few days. I'll post pics to get things rolling.

6. Good runner
There's a dead lizard in the muffler!

That saw sat underwater or in the mud...wow.

Latest posts

Back