Outside fire pit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big tractor tire rim. HAs holes for venting already. Hopefully this summer my buddy that does masonry is coming over, we are building a wood fired over with a pizza oven shelf. Smoking meats, baking pizzas. Dang now I am hungry thinking about it.

MMMMMMMMMM----Dos equis!!!!!

Makes people want to quote..
He can make orange juice out of apples, he once taught a german shepherd to bark in spanish, his enemies list him as their emergency contact...
Never tried the beer, but love the commercials....

pre fab concrete made by Mirage stone. The fireplace comes in pieces easy assembly I added stone to it looks very much like this one . Don't have a pic of mine on the puter

Mine looks like this
DETA-57.jpg

How well does it draft? Can you feel decent heat output from it?

Mine was just the limestone at first but that cracked right away. Then I added a section of an old oil or gas tank to the inside to direct the heat away from the rock a little. The tank section is about 4' across.

View attachment 231109

Last edited:
We have a patio in the back made from 24"x16" concrete pads. We have a fairly big pit 4' x 4', in the patio for burning forest debris etc. that we gather in the back yard. Problem is that we're so freaking regulated that we have to get a "permit" to burn??? Which, needless to say, I don't do. We never use it for recreational purposes despite the fact that's the reason we put it in. Due to the illegality of the act of burning without a "permit" we tend to accumulate a substantial pile of stuff to burn in the pit and, when conditions are right, we spark it up and burn it off quickly to minimize detection.

At the camp, we just have a burned spot on the lawn where we burn brush and/or make a fire for people to cook stuff. Supposed to have a permit for that too. However, being 60 miles in the bush, I'm even less inclined to get one. Common sense and reasonable fire safety precautions go a long way to keeping fires under control. It's a sad day when a handful of idiots cause the authorities to punish the rest of us by enacting by-laws and unnecessary regulations.

I've got a cement patio out back that's about 18 feet across. It's mostly round, but has a 'bite' taken out of it where the flower garden cuts into it. In the center it has some firebrick and a grate - everything at one level, except the some of the grate sits down about 1" lower than the rest.

I was out there tonight with my kids, and last night as well! As often as possible....:clap:

I made this one:

FirePit1.jpg

I dropped the bottom of it 24" down into the ground, surrounded with firebrick, and installed two grates, one 8" down and another one 4" down from the top. Everything burns like a bandit that way. I should have made the patio bigger that surrounds it.

Hey Wood Doctor, Do you have any pictures of the inside of the fire pit ? How much did it cost you to build the whole thing too ?

Thanks,

Shane

aee8461e-30f9-ec12.jpg

Here is mine :)

My backyard pit is a pipe that is 1/2" thick and 28" diameter buried in the ground.

Crude but effective.

3628772904_c0921cfeeb.jpg

This old bud rim that sits on an inverted fireplace log holder to improve draft. Looks gross because it was recently cleaned of ash...sturdy enough to put you feet of on it.

I've been gathering a bunch of rock (light colored granite looking stuff) but haven't decided how to do my pit yet. I was thinking of actually using mortar instead of just dry stacking them and building in some dedicated air inlets in the sides. For those of you who have a rock pit in the middle of the yard, etc...how big is it? 4' in diameter? 5'?

Jesus, some of you get pretty fancy. I've always just laid rocks or cinder blocks in a circle and let her rip.

Back