MS440/460 Hybrid With Ported Meteor Cylinder Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no reason to pay 300.00 for an OEM jug if it's gonna be ground to hell and back anyway. There isn't any port edges in this jug in the stock location except the bottom of the upper transfers. The squish is cut, as is the base. All that's left is the bore.........and believe me that plating is freaking tough.

but how about 200 for oem?

btw you still have a 461 you can compare too =)

but how about 200 for oem?

btw you still have a 461 you can compare too =)

I can get a better deal on one than that.....but we both know most guys can't. :laugh:

That's what we've been talking about......flogging the #### outta your old saw. :D

Hopefuly this build will change how people view the aftermarket,i see positive stuff in the future

Nobody in their right minds have ever doubted that affordable aftermarket parts benefit the chainsaw users world wide!
Have you heard of any? :D :taped:

I can get a better deal on one than that.....but we both know most guys can't. :laugh:

That's what we've been talking about......flogging the #### outta your old saw. :D

Darn, I was hoping you were talking about mine, I'm starting to miss it.:cry:

Last edited:
Yea, yes, yes. Something I've been waiting for. Not been too interested in much of late - this has re-kindled the flame.

Randy, When you take stuff out the transfer bridge, how thin do you go?

Any thoughts on this Rand?

Jon did say yesterday that it was the next one for him to assemble the bottom end. He even swept around the box it's in and everything. :clap:

Any thoughts on this Rand?

Sorry Rich, I missed that one.

I just thinned these down to the thickness of the OEM bridges. On a worksaw I normally don't alter the bridges at all.

Do you happen to have another 460 there to compare it to? That would be the fairest comparison.

Don't you just love these things Randy. You show your work, not knowing how it will actually turn out, and then have the whole world to answer to:msp_w00t: I've done the same thing, and you just hope it turns out good:rock:

I am interested in how it compares to a ported 460 and also ported 461???

As far as testing this AM kit, we need to see how it compare to an OEM 460. But, I'm personally interested in how a ported 460 compares to a ported 461. I have a hunch that it may surprise a few people. Then again, I may be the one that gets surprised:msp_w00t: I'm hoping to get started this afternoon on comparing a stock 046 to a stock Meteor topend.

well did it beat Young's saw :hmm3grin2orange:

In the dream I had last night it did. :laugh:

Do you happen to have another 460 there to compare it to? That would be the fairest comparison.

Don't you just love these things Randy. You show your work, not knowing how it will actually turn out, and then have the whole world to answer to:msp_w00t: I've done the same thing, and you just hope it turns out good:rock:

No Brad I don't. :( I do have a stock and a ported 461 here though.

I don't worry about the outcome. I just do the best I can. I've thrown a few gutter balls just like everyone else. What it all comes down do is how we deal with our mistakes. This saw was a saw I ported before. It ended up scored.....I have no idea why it was scored.......what I do know is that Brian has been a great guy to deal with in every way. I'll fix this saw to his satisfaction and it won't cost him anything but shipping it too me. That's the best I can do.

The reason we used an aftermarket jug was to test these cylinders. He'll have this saw for years and will report on how it holds up along with his thought on whether or no this top end is as strong as it was with the ported OEM jug.

Last edited:
As far as testing this AM kit, we need to see how it compare to an OEM 460. But, I'm personally interested in how a ported 460 compares to a ported 461. I have a hunch that it may surprise a few people. Then again, I may be the one that gets surprised:msp_w00t: I'm hoping to get started this afternoon on comparing a stock 046 to a stock Meteor topend.

he has my oem one there ,i overheated it scuffed the exh side of piston ,i took it apart ,when i threw it back together ,i somehow chipped a ring when i started it up messed up the intake and i guess took a chunk out of the intake part of the sleeve ,randy didnt feel good about running that jug ,too bad that would be the best comparison ,because he ported both jugs ,the only 460 i have is done by a different builder so i dont know how fair a comparison that would be

If it ever quits snowing and raining I can help out with the 460-461.

Back