This caps it off for me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

513yj

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I'm in the bathroom brushing my teeth getting ready for work and a dang mosquito flies right into the mirror. I killed it and thought to myself is winter really over and it's finally nice out?? Then I looked at the thermometer that says -13 and I think to myself this is where I draw the line. Stupid winter has resorted to conspiring with summer to get a chuckle at my expense.

That's funny. I too have seen an occasional mosquito that has obviously been hibernating in the house and when it gets too warm in here they wake up and start buzzing around. I'm hoping these brutal winter conditions have killed off some of the larvae left over from summer. What a horrible mosquito season we had last year

Little buggers were pretty thin around my place last year due to the excessive early spring rains and flooding that washed the larva away. On the other hand several of their blood sucking relations were in an over abundant supply.

That was just Mother Nature reminding you/us that we are never happy with what we are given. In summer we whine about the bugs. In winter we whine cuz we're cold. We are just plain old hard to please, us humans! :eek:

Longing for warmer weather in winter, longing for cooler weather in summer. This is the engine that drives hope; constantly waiting for things to improve cuz it will be so nice when it does!

As much as we complain about it, myself included, it's all good!

Ted

Yesterday dfiving home from work it was a balmy 12 degrees. I saw a blue heron....wth. He was definately out of place.

Funny, right after I read this a mosquito flew into the egg wash my wife was using to make French toast. It is a balmy 32 degrees here which is welcome after 10 plus days of highs in the single digits and lows in the double negatives.

I have had a lot of mosquitos this winter, never really noticed them before. They definitely come in with the wood.

Right before the last real cold snap (-18°F ) 5-6 days ago, I had a flock of Robins in the yard, and I've been hearing them for the week previous. Not any more.......... I think we're just getting teased.

I don't understand the theory that freezing cold winters kill mosquitoes. The worst places in the world for mosquitoes is Canada and Alaska, even northern US is bad. I know Canada and Alaska have a lot of water but they have a lot of cold too.

North Dakotas state bird is the great mosquito. Gets PD cold up there and it still doesn't kill all the eggs or the mosquitos. You'd think 20 below a bunch times in the witer would wipe the little buggers out. Is this a point for evolution?

One critter I didn't know hung around during our winters is the blue birds. Just as soon as it get a little warm, out they come from somewhere. And on warm days the yellow jackets do a little foraging. I have a resident nest of jackets I'm trying to train not to sting me. So far so good. Or maybe they're just cold.

One critter I didn't know hung around during our winters is the blue birds. Just as soon as it get a little warm, out they come from somewhere. And on warm days the yellow jackets do a little foraging. I have a resident nest of jackets I'm trying to train not to sting me. So far so good. Or maybe they're just cold.

Them guys just got no sense of humor at-all.

Wanna talk tough? Possums dig up their nests and eat the grubs. Hardcore!

I have had a lot of mosquitos this winter, never really noticed them before. They definitely come in with the wood.

I second the wood theory. I bring in 2-3 armloads from my wood room attached to my garage for next to the stove. I got lot of wood in August and this is towards the bottom so it's probably August wood with hibernating skeeters. I'm now going to stay out of the woods in the spring then because the last thing I'm gonna bring in is ticks o_O

Back