trying to decide on a new midrange saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmrboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My 25 yr old Pro Mac 700 finally died. I used it for pretty much everything. I also have a walmart Mccolluch that I bought used a 8 yrs ago that actually runs good, but is too small for what I need. I am looking for a 50-60 cc saw for my main cutter and have it narrowed down to the Stihl 290, Husky 545, or the Jonsered 2255. Wifey and I was at Tractor Supply yesterday, and the 2255 is on sale for $369 till the end of April. This was the first time I had ever looked at a Jonsered, and I kinda liked it. But I am leaning towards the 545, and the 290 in 2nd place. For the money though, I'm really being pulled towards that Jonsered. The only thing I didn't like was the straight handle. I really liked the angled handle on the the husky. I have several Stihl and Husky dealers within 30 miles, so service isn't a problem for those brands. I have several TSC stores within range, but the nearest Jonsered dealer is 90 miles away.

I will be looking for a felling saw in the fall so am looking in this particular size range. Any opinions are welcome

Several threads lately on the echo timberwolf 590. 400 clams brand new. 60ccs. mag case pro saw built. You xcan scrooll back and search and read up on them. Like most new saws, they ship a little too lean due to EPA jazz, so you could do a muffler mod, carb limiters removed and a scosh more on the H screw, richen it up just a little.

Of course that voids warranty, but me personally, would rather not have to use a warranty in the first place and make sure the saw runs better and cooler.

Tractor Supply won't service that JRed. If you don't do the fixing/service yourself, I would pick the MS290 so you have a service dealer closer than 90 miles.

Just found this myself. I didn't start this. Something must be wrong at headquarters, and it made a clone of the orginal. Should probably close this one so only the original gets comments.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Just report it. The mods might be able to integrate the threads.

Back