Speeco 16 Ton Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya, but then I'd have to lift those heavy rounds that much higher. My first splitter was a wedge and sledge hammer. My second was a little dude from Lowes that was about a foot off the ground. I could roll the big ones on it, but then it couldn't split them.:( But I did use the car ramps on it for regular stuff. Normally, I take them off the truck and right on to the splitter.

That having to run it through a second time to finish splitting would drive me crazy! lol

SR

I set a block about half the height to my table beside my splitter then lift it to there and roll it up the rest of the way. I lift soaking wet 24" poplar like that and it works decent. I used to use my BIL's really low splitter and it killed my back. I'm working on a wagon that has an incline so I can load the rounds on it with my tractor and have them roll to the splitter to eliminate the lifting. Trying to work smarter and not harder. My new "office" job is killing my back, too much sitting around and then I come on here and sit because my back is too sore. Vicious circle.

I learned the art of noodling on this last hedge tree. I quartered the big ones and they were still mighty heavy. The round you see on the splitter was a branch. I need to build a swing arm hoist for my little garden trailer, but that will really slow things down.

I take them off the truck and right on to the splitter.
3ce6.jpg

I hear ya, but then I'd have to lift those heavy rounds that much higher. My first splitter was a wedge and sledge hammer. My second was a little dude from Lowes that was about a foot off the ground. I could roll the big ones on it, but then it couldn't split them.:( But I did use the car ramps on it for regular stuff. Normally, I take them off the truck and right on to the splitter.

Ditto...that's my experience too. I've grown use to splitting in the low position with our Reagan era 'America' splitter.

Most of the time I sit on a stump and split. The bigger rounds I can easily roll up on a ramp of splitter trash. When the rounds get out of reach I push some more up with the FEL. btw since I retired I work at the speed of a glacier, but I still make production.

I'm thinking most splitters just get used the position they started with and that's that.

I found a video of the Lowe's log splitter I had. The cylinder moved forward on the rail for storage and made it very compact. The major design flaw was the weak square tube rail and the way the pusher was attached to it. It was painfully slow, but beat the wedge and sledge.

I hear ya, but then I'd have to lift those heavy rounds that much higher.
There's a lot of truth in that... liftin' heavy rounds will wear me out a bunch faster, and cause me a lot more pain than workin' over a low splitter. Mine is even a bit lower than yours, the bigger rounds I don't even lift, I just sort'a hook them on the edge of the beam and roll 'em right on... and what I do lift ain't much more than a foot or so.

Ditto...that's my experience too. I've grown use to splitting in the low position with our Reagan era 'America' splitter.
Most of the time I sit on a stump and split. ... When the rounds get out of reach I push some more up with the FEL.
I've been known to sit on a stump or end-up round from time-to-time... but when the rounds get out'a reach I just move the splitter (and seat if I'm usin' one) closer to them.

This is why I split Vertically majority of time. Roll in place, no lifting. There is a time and a place for most splitters.

But when I split off my trailer or truck, I roll it to splitter, with homemade pickaroon of course, and split horizontal. It sits about 32" tall. New one will be about 40" roughly.

I would like the vertical option. If I had the room for storage, I would have purchased one of the Huskys that TSC carried that went either way. I liked the way the rail was made with the rolled lips holding the pusher and acting as a cradle. However, I'm usually 30+ miles away from the trees and I don't bring my splitter, so I'd still have to pick the heavy rounds up. By the time I cut a truck and trailer, load it, and clear the brush, I'm shot.

Back