What saw are you using this year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say my 350 gets the most use, along with a 50 ,61, 254 and a dolly 6400 for the bigger stuff. If I happen to be tinkering with a different saw it usually finds it way into the woods for a few cuts.

I take two to the woods - a MS360 + 20", and MS250 + 16". Have a 170 that doesn't get used a whole lot - either around the yard or will throw on the sled running board in sledding season.

Have an 044 in the basement in boxes that I need to get together some day and maybe go 24" with it, another unfinished project. Would like to replace the 250 with a 260 if I can stumble on the right deal - think the 250 could use a new 'real' carb, seems to flood itself sometimes when trying to start it, & runs a bit rich. But it handles nice - I'm getting old & even the 360 tires me out a lot sooner than it should.

I take two to the woods - a MS360 + 20", and MS250 + 16". Have a 170 that doesn't get used a whole lot - either around the yard or will throw on the sled running board in sledding season.

Have an 044 in the basement in boxes that I need to get together some day and maybe go 24" with it, another unfinished project. Would like to replace the 250 with a 260 if I can stumble on the right deal - think the 250 could use a new 'real' carb, seems to flood itself sometimes when trying to start it, & runs a bit rich. But it handles nice - I'm getting old & even the 360 tires me out a lot sooner than it should.
Consider a used 026 PRO instead of a new 260. You will save a bundle and not lose much performance. I rate the 026 PRO head and shoulders above a 250. Just MHO.

Typo - 372xp although IDK if mins is an x-torq or not. I don't recall any x-torque stickers but it was a twice blown up test mule for Stumpy that I bought with a new (an thankfully longer lasting) recipe on the porting. It is flat pissed when you wake it up and gives Locust and Hedge what-for.

Consider a used 026 PRO instead of a new 260. You will save a bundle and not lose much performance. I rate the 026 PRO head and shoulders above a 250. Just MHO.

Yes, an 026 is on my radar too. Depends what I see first.

I realize what the 250 is - or isn't. But for $60 it was a deal too good to pass up at the time - just needed a new B&C, and the stop switch wire hooked back up. It turned out to be the start of my CAD days....

It'sUOTE="Marine5068, post: 5525841, member: 43136"]How do you like the 441 with a 28" bar?
I want to buy that exact setup next season.[/QUOTE]
It's a cutting sob but gets a bit heavy for these old bones to run very long. Usually end up using the 362.

I realize what the 250 is - or isn't. But for $60 it was a deal too good to pass up at the time - just needed a new B&C, and the stop switch wire hooked back up. It turned out to be the start of my CAD days....

I cut firewood for years with an 025 18". Nothing wrong with them if you put the RSC chain on and keep it sharp. Very underrated saw in my opinion.

Yes, an 026 is on my radar too. Depends what I see first. I realize what the 250 is - or isn't. But for $60 it was a deal too good to pass up at the time - just needed a new B&C, and the stop switch wire hooked back up. It turned out to be the start of my CAD days....
That was indeed a bargain. Today I almost became a crook. A friend of mine gave me a John Deere CS62 to work on. He said, "Edwin, I've had it with this saw. It won't start and when it did, it quit after running awhile. I'll sell it to you for a pair of $20 bills if you can't fix it."

Well, men, the wire from the coil to the switch was cut in half. No spark, so that killed it. Then the fuel line was too long, kinked inside the tank, and too rubbery. I replaced the wire, replaced the fuel line, cleaned up the saw, and it started and ran perfectly. Compression was huge. But, for $40 it could have been mine--a saw that will run almost even with my MS 361 and cut the pants off my MS 290 (and lighter to boot).

I told my friend to keep the saw, pay me $20, and throw in a Bud Light. He smiled and could hardly reach his billfold fast enough.

I told my friend to keep the saw, pay me $20, and throw in a Bud Light. He smiled and could hardly reach his billfold fast enough.

Sometimes the temptation is almost overpowering, but still it makes you feel good to help someone out even if it would have been a cheap saw.

Sometimes the temptation is almost overpowering, but still it makes you feel good to help someone out even if it would have been a cheap saw.
Not only just a cheap saw, but one that runs like a bandit. Many of the parts of the John Deere's were made in Italy. I imagine this was about a $350 saw when new, but I really don't know that much about them. It was actually lighter in weight than my 361, has a slightly larger engine, and the design was rather interesting. I can see why Stihl insisted that John Deere discontinue selling their own brand when Deere acquired Stihl.

Stihl MS 460 is my main saw, had it out today for a couple of hours. The backup is the Husky 394XP. I'll be putting that bad boy to use on a large Ash that fell victim to EAB. I cut today but it's still too hot for my liking.

Not only just a cheap saw, but one that runs like a bandit. Many of the parts of the John Deere's were made in Italy. I imagine this was about a $350 saw when new, but I really don't know that much about them. It was actually lighter in weight than my 361, has a slightly larger engine, and the design was rather interesting. I can see why Stihl insisted that John Deere discontinue selling their own brand when Deere acquired Stihl.

The reason for the Italian parts is because the CS62 is an Italian Efco saw/design. And yes, they will flat get after it. The CS56 isn't too bad either, whether in red or in green.

I used to use my MS310 for everything, and I thought I had a good 'big saw', since it is a Stihl, and it is bigger than the Farm Bosses that everyone else I knew was using.

Then I found this place, and that darn MS310 is too slow, so I got a Jonsered CS-2188, and I can't seem to put it down, even for the small stuff. :chainsaw:

Back