What saw are you using this year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been bouncing around: Stihl 046 for big bucking and noodling, Stihl MS 361 for medium bucking, felling, and some noodling, Stihl 028 Super for general all-purpose work, and a Stihl 026 PRO for everything else whenever I'm tired of throwing around the bigger saws.

One time I gave the 046 a rest and mounted a 32" bar on my Makita 6401 for some big oak. It worked very well. These two saws are a coin toss for big stuff.

I used my 545 past 2 years this year I got a 576xp that had a little problem dying out of the cut, but is better now. So I will use the 545 with a 16" and the 576 with a 20" or 24". Cutting mostly dead white ash in Pa.

I used my 545 past 2 years this year I got a 576xp that had a little problem dying out of the cut, but is better now. So I will use the 545 with a 16" and the 576 with a 20" or 24". Cutting mostly dead white ash in Pa.

Sounds like an awesome 2 saw plan! I went into my dealer looking to buy a 576XPAT but he persuaded me into a 390XP. I hope your 576 is better than what he made them out to be. I will still get an AutoTune saw someday, hopefully.

As per usual. Ms 362 with 20 inch bar and and a 201T with a 12 inch bar..i can cut up and tree small or big and not wear myself out lugging a boat anchor around..lol..all good saws above tho

Attachments

• 20150722_125556.jpg
    20150722_125556.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
Stihl 261 with 16" bar doubles as my measuring device. The 441 comes out on rare occasion to handle bigger stuff but the 261 gets used most of the time.

Only have two saws, an 029 super with a 16 inch bar and a ms192T with a 14 inch bar. If I need a saw with a longer bar, I call my friend.

MS 192T for most of my limbing, MS361 as the go to with normally 24" but using a 20" or 28" as better suited to the size of the logs. MS 441 with 32" bar to tame the big stuff.

MS 310/20" in reserve (actually does usually go with me to the field, yep, 4 saws in the truck.

MS 210 for around the house and as the stump removal saw on small size stumps (up to about 14").

Toolbox carries at least 2 sharpened chains for each size bar.

Harry K

The two saws that get the most use around here are......a Husky 55 and a Husky 550XP...

For dropping bigger tree's and cutting the logs out of them, I use my Husky 268XP...

SR

I use them all. They all have there place in my little woodcutting world.

The Dolmars. 2 7900's with 28 and 24" bars and the 510.

And the 394.

I still use the old Craftsman and PoulanPro but my brand new Stihl291 with an 18" bar is my weapon of choice now.
I bought it for felling smaller trees, general wood cutting and blocking rounds.
Next on the wanted list will be the MS441 or MS461 so I can run a 28" bar and the power to slice through large Oaks, Maples and White Pines.
MS291d.jpg

Did my first wood hall for this winter, have all the wood for this winter and just about next, so what we get this year will be sold. My grandparents had some pine that came down about 6 weeks ago, so we went and cut it up.

Have a bunch of saws that I'll get to try out this year. Last year I ran a 44, 55, and 2100. Sold all but the 44 which is now up for sale. This year I'm going to probably run, 350, 262, and 390. I ran the 262, that I converted from a 261, and I couldn't keep from smiling. I also ran my 350, that I converted from a 340. Put a flat top piston, and muffler mod, that made a tremendous difference.

It was pine wood, but I like to mix it in with what we have already cut. Pics are coming, I still have to split the load of wood. Now for the question... Who all has started cutting for this year? What are the main saws you're running, if you had to keep it down to 3 saws?

I wouldn't limit it t three as I take on all sorts of trees and while three of mine could account for near anything in the U.S. they might always be the best choices. I like to have thr right tool for the job and my Dad usually cuts with me and while he also likes BIG saws, he's almost 60 and also likes having no bigger of a saw than he needs for the task at hand.

I wouldn't limit it t three as I take on all sorts of trees and while three of mine could account for near anything in the U.S. they might always be the best choices. I like to have thr right tool for the job and my Dad usually cuts with me and while he also likes BIG saws, he's almost 60 and also likes having no bigger of a saw than he needs for the task at hand

I guess what I meant was if you had to pick 3 they would be your favorite saws. I often use more than 3, it just seems these three are the ones I tend to go to.

Great saws so far guys keep it up!

Stihl 170 for limbing. 038 Super pro 20 in. bar will be my main cutter and the 441 for a backup now with a 24 in. bar.

Back