First new saw in 33 years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a 1995 L2950 I welded 2x2 id tubing into the bucket in 4 places and then I made 2 different length 2x2 od "tines" I can change them out depending on what I need. They are slid into the tubes and through bolted with one 1/2 x 3 1/2 bolt with lock nut. The bucket clamp came on the tractor homemade by the previous owner to move brush with. I use it for so many things you just cannot imagine. I can lift 30' but cut of about any log up to about 20" in diameter. I use it when sawing tree length to stove length. I grab a log/ tree carry it to the splitter 50-60' feet away and saw into 16" length right beside the splitter. No more bending over to saw up stove wood for me. If this tractor or jaw failed today I would not hesitate to by new tomorrow that is how often I use it. I also made a weight box this summer 2'x2'x2' it is about 900# I use that to counter balance the weight of the tree length when lifting for sawing. It makes it much easier on the front end components I think.DSCF0061.jpg DSCF0110.jpg DSCF0532.jpg P4210075.JPG P4210079.JPG P4210080.JPG P4210081.JPG

Nice...I'm also having winch envy! I have a L3600 w/ glide shift that I absolutely love. I like the fab work on the bucket clamp...looks like I need to get to work that does look so useful. I'm assuming that's run off a set of rear hydro outputs?

What part of the cutter has the weird hook? I have to leave for work soon so if I don't get back to your answer I will soon.
It's right under the top plate. You can sort of see it in this blow up, although the focus is poor:

IMG_2627-crop.jpg
It's what you'd get if the wheel profile were not a smooth semicircle, but more squared off with a radius and points at the outside edges.

nope separate small valve body gets it's fluid right from the main pump I think, there are no rear hydraulics on this tractor. If you can envision this" if I cut a 10" fir and limb the entire tree I can scrape all the limbs to one spot then clamp them all at once and lug them away . All the while never getting off the tractor.

Oil Question, I do not want this to turn into another oil thread ha ha but I want some opinions. I have run the Stihl oil in the Orange bottle mixed 50:1. I have always used just slightly less than one gallon of regular gas when making my mix ( so it errs on the side of a slightly richer mix).
I use the small bottle and make 1 gallon at a time about every 3 weeks. You hear some people saying they stopped using that crappy Stihl Oil now they use xyz oil instead. I am wondering what the opinion of the Orange bottle Stihl oil. I don't " think?" it has caused any issues but I have replaced a few pistons and seals over the years. These go into old saws so probably just normal wear and tear. Just curious when it comes to my new saw is all.

Great looking land Jeff as Ed pointed out! I run a bit richer and try to mix at a minimum of 40:1 as most of the builders have suggested with their ported saws. I use husky synthetic but have used about everything and can't say that one is any better than the other. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Stihl oil but am a bit leary of running 50:1.
I can envision and need to get to fabricating!! Neighbor logged 900 trees and I have free access to all the tops I want. Sure would be handy in building brush piles and moving smaller diameter logs to the house or trailer.

Yes Madman you need what I have it works great , really it's probably the most handy thing I have ever owned. I had a ancient Spruce tree come down on the lawn a couple years ago . It was 28" on the stump and about 60' tall the lower limbs were the size of soft balls maybe 20' long.
I cut the tree up in 3 saw logs 16' each and grabbed them in the middle one at a time and carried them out to a back field 200 yards away. I left the top un-limbed like a freaking giant Christmas tree sort of rig. I took that out next probably weighed 600 pounds,.. lugged that away. Now all that was left were the limbs in 3-4 trips they were gone off to a permanent brush pile out back. Did it all without touching a limb or log by hand.

I would still use the Stihl oil if I had any of it but my preferred oil is Klotz or Bel Ray. I used Klotz for years in dirt bikes and chainsaws and it doesn't seem to leave any residue in the cylinder like most oils do.
Yea, I think I will stay with what I have it's a known factor to me I guess. I do have another question though. I have a couple of bottles of Snowmobile injection oil made by Castrol. I used to have a 1990 Polaris Indy 340 that used injection oil so that's what I used in it. Anyway here's the question, what is injection oil when compared to saw mixing oil is it the same gadget or something completely different. I been putting it in pump oil cans and squirting it on riggings in need of a little "slip and go easy"

IMO they are a 3/8 saw as they have balls to pull it. ;)

Tested my stock 5000 with 3/8 compared to 5105 with 5100 muffler

Same chain on all saws. 12" round hardwood

stock husky 346xp 50cc 3/8 7T 5.63 5.62
stock dolmar 5105 with 5100 muffler, 3/8 7T 5.59 5.50
stock partner 5000 , 3/8 7T 5.47 5.84

just to see
stock 357xp, 3/8 7T 4.29 4.34

IMO they are a 3/8 saw as they have balls to pull it. ;)

Tested my stock 5000 with 3/8 compared to 5105 with 5100 muffler

Same chain on all saws. 12" round hardwood

stock husky 346xp 50cc 3/8 7T 5.63 5.62
stock dolmar 5105 with 5100 muffler, 3/8 7T 5.59 5.50
stock partner 5000 , 3/8 7T 5.47 5.84

just to see
stock 357xp, 3/8 7T 4.29 4.34
Ok so my last message made very little sense I was trying to reply to you on my Kindle which came out as my "Mindel" then I tried to fix that and my fat fingers made it much worse. then I just gave up.
I looks like it was a tad faster than the Partner is that right? if so that sound good to me cause I know my Partner is quite quick for a 50cc saw.

Yea, I think I will stay with what I have it's a known factor to me I guess. I do have another question though. I have a couple of bottles of Snowmobile injection oil made by Castrol. I used to have a 1990 Polaris Indy 340 that used injection oil so that's what I used in it. Anyway here's the question, what is injection oil when compared to saw mixing oil is it the same gadget or something completely different. I been putting it in pump oil cans and squirting it on riggings in need of a little "slip and go easy"
I think we used to interchange the 2 stroke oils and the injection oils. The only possible difference would be whether it mixed well with gasoline and I imagine it does.

Well I aint saying I am gonna do that but I have always wondered. Someone sometime ago said that it was different than saw mixing oil.
There probably are some differences. Back then I used about any oil I could afford in those dirt bikes, never had an engine problem. I think you could probably use the Klotz oil in about any 2 stroke application.

I would keep the "Safety chain for cutting dirty wood or jf you think you might go into the dirt I would buy a Stihl non safety full chisel of the size required your saw although of the Makita clan are usually very reliable & a good quality build as said keep your eye on the tune as they tend to be a bit on the lean side from the factory the locals in our area tend to a 40 or south /1 fuel mix

Latest posts

Back