What's in a bar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkottemann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What makes A bar better than another? I have always wondered this. I mean is a sthil bar the best for a sthil or should you get an aftermarket bar? Same for husky? And If so what is the best make or bar out there?? I am sure this is going down the ford vs. chey road, but lets have it. What do ya'll think.

What makes A bar better than another? I have always wondered this. I mean is a sthil bar the best for a sthil or should you get an aftermarket bar? Same for husky? And If so what is the best make or bar out there?? I am sure this is going down the ford vs. chey road, but lets have it. What do ya'll think.

Yep, Sawinredneck has got it right. Better bars use harder steel, have replaceable noses, and are designed for longer and harder use. Cannon's are great, but expensive (good stuff always is) and heavy. Stihls are a good balance between performance and cost, Oregons tend to be more affordable and less durable. I will add that the last Oregon Powermatch bar I bought has done far better than any Oregon bar I've ever owned before. They are doing something right or better on their "pro" bars. Still don't think it is as good as my Stihl bars, but it didn't cost as much either.

Mark

Yep, Sawinredneck has got it right. Better bars use harder steel, have replaceable noses, and are designed for longer and harder use. Cannon's are great, but expensive (good stuff always is) and heavy. Stihls are a good balance between performance and cost, Oregons tend to be more affordable and less durable. I will add that the last Oregon Powermatch bar I bought has done far better than any Oregon bar I've ever owned before. They are doing something right or better on their "pro" bars. Still don't think it is as good as my Stihl bars, but it didn't cost as much either.

Mark

doesent oregon make the stihl bars ? thats what Ive been told :monkey:

Cannon seems to be no. 1, there's quite a few that like the Tusnmar (sp?)/Sandvik then Stihl, then I think GB, then Windsor, then Oregon.

Oregon makes the Husky bars, I'm not impressed.

Not much any of these guys said that I would disagree with. Coming from a fairly occasional user who cut his teeth on small saws and laminated bars...the difference between those and any pro bar is pretty darn incredible. So, I think it is a balance between cost and durability. I think you'd probably have to be a professional user or miller to really notice the difference in longevity. I suggest if you get any professional replaceable sprocketnose bar and take good care of it...good oil, grease the tip every so often flip it every other chain sharp, etc, if you a a fairly light/med duty user any of them will last you a very long time. ZIf you cut for a living, considering a high dollar bar like a Cannon or a Woodsman pro(same mfg I think) makes sense. A Stihl bar is pretty good metal it will last and last even in the professional environment. I'd also be curious about some of those long bars from chainbars.com blue babe is their brand I think...anyone have experience with them?

Cannon. any other bar is a wet noodle in comparision to a Cannon. 5000 west coast of BC fallers cant be wrong.

nuff said

doesent oregon make the stihl bars ? thats what Ive been told :monkey:

For Sthil Canada they do..

Scott

Quite a few "rebadged Oregons" have been sold in the US also, when there has been a shortage of German made ones.;)

They used to, now I believe they make the Husqvarna bars ......

Oregon makes most of the bars for Husky, Jonsered and Partner, but some are made here in Norway, at a Husky owned facrory.

Oregon also make the bars for Dolmar, and I believe several other saw brands.........;)

Last edited:
Tsumura, were can I found them ??
is there a site or a web-store ??

Oh and I have seen some bars with oval teflon fillings who makes them ???

Last edited:
Metal :rockn:
Tsumura, were can I found them ??
is there a site or a web-store ??

Oh and I have seen some bars with oval teflon fillings who makes them ???

Stihl makes some light-weight bars, that isn't all metal......

Rollomatic E Light has fiber-reinforced polymer fillings, and is said to weight 38% less than "normal bars" - whatever that is.......

Last edited:
Back