Help me choose!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d much rather have the Timberwolf.

They are an acquired taste. They feel a little cheesy at first. The air filter kinda sucks a bit, the pull cord feels kinda cheap (but seems to work well), the plastic may FEEL or LOOK kinda cheap ( but it’s not), they don’t feel very good in the hands while not running (but feel much better when running, if maybe just a little buzzy)...

What they do have is a good feeling motor with plenty of torque, but not a screaming top. I haven’t run a Rancher in several years, but when I ran a 460 about 4 or 5 years ago I couldn’t wait to put it down and grab my own saws. I find me grabbing my Echo quite often. In Canada it takes a near 1000.00 saw to beat it. And yes, the 1000.00 saws are quite a bit nicer, but a Rancher is certainly not, imo.

How much is that 555? That is a premium saw, tuned for the not-necessarily premium operator (me and likely you too).

I wanted to like the Timberwolf... I know it’s the best deal going for $400...
It just feels uncomfortable and heavy... like lugging a vacuum cleaner around...
I wish I could try one out in a red oak log...

I paid 400.00 Canadian for my 590. You should be able to do better than 400.00 USD for it???

Shop for the 555, I’d say.

You can’t like the 590 until you run one. A bunch of times. But don’t think for a minute it is in the same playground as the premium Huskies and Stihls. Cause it’s not. Imo. It’s a no brainer to pay 100 bucks more for the 555, imo. No brainer.

I paid 400.00 Canadian for my 590. You should be able to do better than 400.00 USD for it???

Shop for the 555, I’d say.

You can’t like the 590 until you run one. A bunch of times. But don’t think for a minute it is in the same playground as the premium Huskies and Stihls. Cause it’s not. Imo. It’s a no brainer to pay 100 bucks more for the 555, imo. No brainer.

I agree

I need a new chainsaw for cutting firewood. The old echo 500 VL has died. This will be my only chainsaw for cutting 4-5 cords oak/maple/ black cherry/ash per year and the occasional storm cleanup....
Like to stay under $500.
No Dolmar or Jonsered dealers around me...but lots for Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo.

I’m thinking:
echo cs-590
Husqvarna 545
Husqvarna 450
Echo CS-490

Not opposed to Stihl but they seem more pricey...

Any advice appreciated!

Echo 590, 600, or 620.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I went around all my local dealerships today and handled a bunch of saws.... surprisingly the one that felt the most comfortable to me was the Stihl MS291..... I didn’t like the feel of the Echo Cs590.... too bulky and cumbersome. Also IMHO the echos just felt cheap, despite the split mag crank case.... the husky 450 felt comfortable as well but I was impressed by the quality of the Stihl.... didn’t bite the bullet yet, gonna think it over....

Don’t let that rough plastic fool you: the Echos are low on shinny. You’ll get the most saw for your $ with either of those 590,600,620.

Look hard at the 620.

Yeah... I know everyone loves the Timberwolf but I just didn’t like it. I hate the cheesy choke control and on/off switch. I looked at the 490 as well and though I liked the size/weight, again I felt like I would break the choke control off in about a day. Sorry that’s just my opinion!

You won’t.

IF we are back to 50cc

I didn’t know there was a 5001. Is that the new 5000?

Is the 5001 the heated model?
Yes, apparently. Like the 5105H.
Although I didn't see it on Makita's website.

And for $406.95, it's almost enough to make me buy one and then sell my 490 and 421.
But...although it's a pound lighter than the MS291 and with a little more power. It's a pound heavier than either the 490 or the 421, which I wouldn't like.
So I'll keep what I got for now, and possibly ugrade if I ever find a 20% off sale on a new MS241CM, which is near a pound lighter than the 421...or not.

You can get a 20" Husqvarna 455 Rancher for around $400. They really are a smooth running, good handling saw that has no problem pulling and oiling a 20" bar buried in oak. I've had mine 4 or 5 years and it cuts most of my firewood. Only problem I have is sometimes she leaks bar oil if sitting awhile (see avatar). The Echo 590/600 does have a bit more power though, ONLY reason I don't grab it more is my co-workers run it in the goddam dirt all the time it's got a dull chain.

That said, if you can get a tree nickel for ~$500 I'd do that and be done. Whatever the outcome be sure to post some nice pics of your new ride :rock:

I haven't had or used the 590 but many rave about its value. I picked up my cs620 for $550 and love it. Much more saw then any in your list. I would guess the 590 tops the rest on your list for power.

I wanted to like the Timberwolf... I know it’s the best deal going for $400...
It just feels uncomfortable and heavy... like lugging a vacuum cleaner around...
I wish I could try one out in a red oak log...
It's a 60cc saw. 60cc saws tend to be heavy for the power. For a few more $$ and not much additional weight, you could be into a 70cc saw. For firewood, that could be overkill, so it really sounds like you want a 50cc saw.

Back