what's the weirdest thing you have used a chainsaw for ....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ice racing yes please where do i sign up!! My Stihl will be faster because it has the most torquepowers and stuff, plus it says pro.

Great thread.. Ha-ha
I'll enjoy reading this,.. Got to about post three and..well here I am..*smiles*

It's going to take some thought??

Start with a few.
Not all weird to me

*Dumbbells
*walking crutch for decending and ascending, also same for injury
Have used the bar for a splint.
Climbing up ridges when I have nothing to grab I spin it and set the Falling Dawgs in as a ground anchor and pull myself up on it then step on it and lay down on my stomach and pull it up then F* it at the top of the hill. Really handy trick in wet snow.
I've probably used 50 gallons of gas making extra cuts to warm my hands on the muffler as I cut.
the gas tank is a clock and a counter
the muffler & spark plug is a fire source
I use it for leveling, and sighting for Falling, and used the bar for line of sight.
For intimidation for moose many times
but never any other Animal, exept this big young shoveler/ block thrower. I told him about the guy that got shot with a detached tooth through the eye and died. I would tell him I am going to bend the teeth with the plier's back and forth until they are real loose and aim it at him at 15000 FPM. Then I would say...
"It would be the perfect murder" he was really quite nervous about getting in the "line of fire"
Boring in for climbing a tree.
Boring into huge undercuts to pop them out,
Impacting an undercut out with saw weigh and momentum, Dawgs to wood.
Cutting ice to TRY and get a truck out.
Venting off a once temper. (Ranging from running it really hard to swinging it around from the pull cord and letting it go).
'Hiding spot'
measuring log length's ( square back handle to log end, give a bit of trigger and tilt forward until chain marks log then move back handle to chain Mark and repeat. Measuring ice thickness measuring water depth & water depth under unstable ice and snow depth also ground depth in snow and stump height in snow.
also stretcher trail widths. They are mainly just really tricks of the trade to me that I figured out most all of them.
Probably will come back with some more later
I break into my truck in minutes using my wedges and a 36 in bar on a regular basis.
One more...a shield
Those are awesome tricks and ideas westboastfaller! One I used about a month back is nothin special and everybody knows or has put into action......guy acting like a bag of dicks and treating you like you don't know which end of a saw to use when cutting, and if I needed white paint so I knew what trees to cut off the edge of the road. Well after a day of his **** he got the hint when the saw went by his head and landed in pickup from about 20 feet away and then painted a husky pole saw white so he could see it and it was capable of cutting the same **** while he stood around and I was down the road working on other trees. Minus a lot of expetives

I used a saw to cut holes in the side of a hay barn for deer hunting. I put a couch up in the top floor. You can sit in the couch and look out of the slots I cut and see a greenfield.

This may not be too weird, but it could give you guys some ideas. I found some large green pin oak branches, about 9" dia. on the average and cut one of the firewood rounds into 1" thick cookies as accurately as possible with my Stihl 026 PRO. When I showed a few to an old friend, he said, "I'll buy 25 of them. How about a buck apiece?"

I said, "What on earth are you going to do with them?"

He replied, "I can use them to make candle stick bases for my daughter's wedding reception. It's going to be held inside the church basement."

I cut him 25 oak cookies and threw in a few extra. Pin oak bark is thin and holds on like glue. The center is really dark heartwood, quite a contrast to the sapwood. I attended the reception and these made quite a hit.

Just got home and cleaned and sharpened my saws, did one test cut. My neighbors vicious dog went after my kid in the street. I went through 6’ of tight hedges, started the saw and chased that dog into his back yard. I turned around to walk home he came at me, repeat started the saw and chased it again. I lost it that day. They think it cool to train there dog that way. The old man was drunk in the house he didn’t dare open the door

A fella I worked with years back used a chainsaw to get a queen size bed up stairs in a rental. Cut right between the Joyce’s in the ceiling and pushed it up through.

Guess that’s how they do it in Tulelake CA.

I'm an electrician... Was on a job where the homeowner wanted to add some low voltage lights to a newly built patio and firepit about a hundred feet from the house. They didn't want to tear up the yard, so a trencher was out of the question. Groundskeeper had an old Stihl 025 and said I could give it a try... It worked for a bit, but the clutch got gummed up with dirt. I felt bad, but... He told me to!!!

I've cut water-line pipe with my saw when in a pinch. Also had to cut through some light-gauge electrical wire still encased in plastic. Wasn't worth the time to get a pair of cutters, and there wasn't much wire the had to be cut (it was embedded/run through the wood-framing on a building I was hired to take down).

Have also cut plenty of stumps and roots 1' in the ground or more.

Got a debarker and have used that quite a bit. We had major fires come through a number of years ago and still some of the wood is charred so the barking tool has taken care of that. No matter how nice the wood is if the bark is all black and full of soot no body wants it. Thanks

Lately my neighbor tore out the old flooring on his outdoor deck. Most were 18' to 20' length boards. His rented dumpster was only 11' long. So I brought over my top handle Echo chain saw and cut all his long deck boards in half. In a jiffy, it was all done. The saw didn't even breathe hard. I just made sure I missed all the nails.

In 2003 I was a cop and we had a bad situation. We found out an armed guy with a murder warrant was holed up in a room in an upper story of a local hotel. We knew he had barricaded the door and there was no other good way in to the room.

There was a 30 hr standoff and negotiations were going nowhere. Negotiating was plan A.
Plan B was to shoot some tear gas through the wall and make entry through the front door of the hotel room.
I was part of Plan C, which was to use ballistic shields on either slide of a thin slot through which we'd use a fire department chain saw to cut through the wall from an adjoining room. It wasn't a fabulous plan but our options were pretty limited.

We didn't have to get to to Plan C, thankfully. Plan B worked, in a sense. But I'll never forget the look on the face of the on-scene media when I was warming up the chain saw with the fire department.

Cut a raccoon in half...poor guy was in a hollow tree that I took down. Gave three old top handle Poulan's to a friend who juggles. He is pretty happy that they don't run.

Cut plastic culverts into pieces to make planters, web pic
5177c6f396557a8df0bf34838af86107.jpg

Back