what's the weirdest thing you have used a chainsaw for ....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was....just......just.......wrong.:cry:

I know. I'm sorry. It was the early 70s and that pile of junk was just junk. Then.:rolleyes:

We saved some good stuff, though. A couple of the handle bar Macs gave up their handle bars to make oil barrel carts for the shop and we cut up some of the old bars for stiffeners on springboards.

Used a ported 036 to rough demo for a bathroom, still couldn't hear after that even with double ears on. Have a pos 017 that's used to cut frozen dirt, chain is hilariously bad but better than a pickaxe

Used a ported 036 to rough demo for a bathroom, still couldn't hear after that even with double ears on. Have a pos 017 that's used to cut frozen dirt, chain is hilariously bad but better than a pickaxe

You ride English? I have no doubt the cowboys on here will tease you about that. Mind you my trakehner at 17'2 often scares the best of them! LOL

I heard about this story from my mother-in-law. My father-in-law threw out his back one day spreading grass seed over some freshly graded land. The next day, he *had* to get straw on it 'cause rain was in the forecast. It hurt his back to pick up the straw bales, so he decided to cut them in half. Tried his 039 first, but a couple bales in he accidentally set it on fire. Then he got the bright idea to switch to his 041--muffler is on the side instead of up front.

Used it for cutting septic pipe installing a septic system, roughed in a slider, cut through all the pre existing nails and all, cut up decks for removal and built miles of landscape timber walls.

Friend's I grew up with used a electric chainsaw filled with canola oil to assist in butchering cattle:chainsaw::barbecue:
I remember my dad doing that on the family farm, only it was an old Stihl minus the canola oil. The beef was hung by a chain fall whole and then split down the backbone with the saw. Makes a mess of the saw and if you don't really clean it up it will eat holes in the magnesium. He didn't clean it up.

Have a good friend in eastern oregon that was helping another rancher haul his cows from his forest allotments........well owner of the cattle rolled his pickup and stock trailer full up with bovines. My buddy jumps out of his pickup, grabs his saw and commences chainsaw massacre on the aluminum trailer to get all the cows out before they suffocate one another. He says to me "it ain't pretty, but a chainsaw WILL cut aluminum"

Great thread.. Ha-ha
I'll enjoy reading this,.. Got to about post three and..well here I am..*smiles*

It's going to take some thought??

Start with a few.
Not all weird to me

*Dumbbells
*walking crutch for decending and ascending, also same for injury
Have used the bar for a splint.
Climbing up ridges when I have nothing to grab I spin it and set the Falling Dawgs in as a ground anchor and pull myself up on it then step on it and lay down on my stomach and pull it up then F* it at the top of the hill. Really handy trick in wet snow.
I've probably used 50 gallons of gas making extra cuts to warm my hands on the muffler as I cut.
the gas tank is a clock and a counter
the muffler & spark plug is a fire source
I use it for leveling, and sighting for Falling, and used the bar for line of sight.
For intimidation for moose many times
but never any other Animal, exept this big young shoveler/ block thrower. I told him about the guy that got shot with a detached tooth through the eye and died. I would tell him I am going to bend the teeth with the plier's back and forth until they are real loose and aim it at him at 15000 RPM. Then I would say...
"It would be the perfect murder" he was really quite nervous about getting in the "line of fire"
Boring in for climbing a tree.
Boring into huge undercuts to pop them out,
Impacting an undercut out with saw weigh and momentum, Dawgs to wood.
Cutting ice to TRY and get a truck out.
Venting off a once temper. (Ranging from running it really hard to swinging it around from the pull cord and letting it go).
'Hiding spot'
measuring log length's ( square back handle to log end, give a bit of trigger and tilt forward until chain marks log then move back handle to chain Mark and repeat. Measuring ice thickness measuring water depth & water depth under unstable ice and snow depth also ground depth in snow and stump height in snow.
also stretcher trail widths. They are mainly just really tricks of the trade to me that I figured out most all of them.
Probably will come back with some more later
I break into my truck in minutes using my wedges and a 36 in bar on a regular basis.
One more...a shield

You ride English? I have no doubt the cowboys on here will tease you about that. Mind you my trakehner at 17'2 often scares the best of them! LOL

Ha, yes dressage actually. I do need to update my profile pic that was my old borrowed mount. This is my girl 17h Han-X 4 year old(still growing i think there is another inch in there). Scares some people around the barn sweet as can be in hand, under saddle has serious personal space issues and almost broke someones ankle when they rode in too close in a lesson. Day job pays the bills, tree/chipper/saw work funds the horse habit.

IMG_9487_zpsnlhfmb4k.jpg

Saws are great for cutting down 55 gallon poly drums into trash cans, sounds amazingly bad when you do it because they resonate but clean and fast. Long bars have been good for ripping plywood without electricity.

Latest posts

Back