Homemade seal puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it does but it is pain to work with because it is more of an automotive tool and not really for chainsaws. I did use that tool to get the little seal out of a 026 once. The homemade tools work better . I haven't tried it myself but the idea of a small slide hammer looks like it will work slick verses trying to pry the seal out.

Ok down to pulling the seal ( found the new seals again after losing them twice. Curse you CRS). I could see that I was goin nowhere really fast so ordered a lisle seal puller. looks like it will do the job . has anyone had any experience with this tool? View attachment 778924

What is the part number?? (the picture is not very clear is why I ask)

I have all kinds of homemade seal pullers and seems quite often I have to do a head scratch and come up with another custom REDneck one.

I bought the Lisle seal puller and not impressed with it. I ended up making one out of a screwdriver.

Attachments

• pull.jpg
    pull.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 48
So we’re changing crank seals without changing the crankbearings?

On the bike engines I learned even if the crank feel tight when the case is assembled, I split the case to find loose bearings, that didn’t show up on the assembled case. I do the whole bottom end now. Who knows how much saw dust and dirt it has seen. Time(age) can be as bad as high usage. I’m working on bikes from the ‘80’s as well as saws from the ‘80’s too.

So we’re changing crank seals without changing the crankbearings?

On the bike engines I learned even if the crank feel tight when the case is assembled, I split the case to find loose bearings, that didn’t show up on the assembled case. I do the whole bottom end now. Who knows how much saw dust and dirt it has seen. Time(age) can be as bad as high usage. I’m working on bikes from the ‘80’s as well as saws from the ‘80’s too.

Why do more work then you have to. If the bearings rotate freely, why split a case? Alot of time I use how much the saw has been used to determine if I need to split the case. You wouldnt put bearings in a 20 yr old saw that sat for 19 and had the seals dry rot? Each case is its own.
I just put seals in an 026, flywheel side and clutch side. It wasnt too bad, but it is a tiny seal..

Yes it does but it is pain to work with because it is more of an automotive tool and not really for chainsaws. I did use that tool to get the little seal out of a 026 once. The homemade tools work better . I haven't tried it myself but the idea of a small slide hammer looks like it will work slick verses trying to pry the seal out.

If one I ordered doesn't work I have found a miniature slide hammer.
https://www.ebay.com/i/231529723600...7p6unQAXHMJlwqXt8mBt9vwQSw2Y7G4RoCjewQAvD_BwE

It's me again Margaret , Very pleased the new LED lit up my work area so no more angling a flashlight so I can see what I am doing ....AND the Lisle seal puller came. Took 20 seconds to figure out what to do. I initially thought I would have to go side to side but saw that I could move the fulcrum up to the shoulder holding the seal and 5 seconds later it was out with one pull. Had to come in and get a fire going but Saturday I will get a chance to start putting the Canadian Beauty back together.

I bought the Lisle seal puller and not impressed with it. I ended up making one out of a screwdriver.

I never thought of that . I saw the other screwdriver version and figured I would end up cutting the tip off if I tried that.

I have twin slide hammers for pulling front pumps on auto trannys. There easy to make. I have a heavy slide hammer for pulling swingarm bolts on my Husqvarna dirtbikes, god only knows how much water they have seen in 35/40 years,

Back