Female Climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally know 4 female climbers, but have only seen 2 of them climb. Very skilled workers. It appears that sexual harassment on the job is the least of their worries. Some men have tried to intimidate them with physical harm (intentionally dropping pieces from the tree), to vandalizing their homes, & making harassing phone calls. Scary sh*t.

I don't climb, but I'm making inspections, and some homeowners, passersby, and workers on site certainly try to make women feel uncomfortable. The older I get, the less crap I take from anyone, I've learned to stare down these jerks, but it's tough for the younger women. It's nice to hear there are a lot of men out there that don't feel it's their right to harass women.

Most guys just need to see it in a different perspective, or see that it really makes women "uncomfortable" or that is is wrong to make them so.

For most it is not a maliciouse thing, they just don't understand that others don't see it as funny/accseptable.

It perpetuates because good men do nothing.

Hey Nick, I looked at a girl the other day while driving through Manchester, very beautiful, and wearing very little, however i hit the kerb bust a tyre and a wheel trim, a bit embarrising for me but she smiled or was she laughing ? not sure, but hey she wasnt wearing virtually no clothes to stop people looking at her, she was after all the attention she could get, and I think she wanted me badly, but i had that tyre to replace :)

Originally posted by Jock
...and I think she wanted me badly...

Which is why, while you stopped, she walked over and handed you her phone number and you offered to join you in a post-work recreational activity.

I'm just picking on you. Maybe karma sent you into the curb!!!

Be nice to the ladies, guys!

love
nick

Shoot! I was kinda hoping to see a female climber make a post by now. Are there really any out there? It appears to be a myth!

We have one female climber, (from OH or IN?) who comes here every so often. One Arborist who does occasional climbing and one property owner who does proffesional horticulture in herbacious propigation

ok guys. strange to be the only woman posting on this thread - thanks to whoever put it up. i'm a full time climber running my own tree co. in seattle, 8 yrs of climbing experience, certified arborist for 6 yrs, and i will be competing in montreal. i haven't met too many woman climbers either, which seems odd to me. i got pretty lucky on the sexual harrassment/sexist bullsh*t front, but there were certainly lot's of guys who needed convincing that i could do my job and do it well. if i hadn't been so determined and so in love with climbing trees it might not have been worth dealing with some of the attitudes represented in this forum. but here i am. i guess what i'd like to suggest to some of you (you'll know who you are) is that you don't assume you know what a woman can do until you've given her the same opportunity to earn your respect you'd give to any guy.

Hey, Treegeek - Welcome to AS. Hope to see more posts from you in the future! Don't worry to much(as I'm sure you don't) about us 'guys' as we're pretty much harmless around here. Come join in on the fun, and keep on climbing!:D

re: montreal

hey kftree
the competitions these days (chapters too if applicable) are split into 2 divisions - men and women. last yr at the international there were i believe 9 women and maybe 50 men. the trees for the master's challenge were different but on all other events the same trees were used. the times were scored in two divisions though. the speed climb for the women was 60 ft up a sequoia and the guys did 90 - it's all still in the process of evolving.
treegeek

Hey guys and gal,

I am glad to see that there are women in tree work, and especially in climbing. I am a firm believer in equal opportunity in the workplace. I do however, recognize the fact that women haven't got the strength to do a lot of the tasks that are required of us due to lack of strength and stamina. ON AVERAGE! Those women that do any tree climbing at all are due a big pat on the back, and I for one will buy the beer. This is a tough job for a man, and even tougher for most women.

And as for the harrasment. If I was made aware of any problems of that nature on my crew I would fire the offending employee in an instant. I have been discriminated against in the workplace before, and hate bullies. But, gawking at a pretty girl......we're only human.

Matt

This year will be the second year the Womanes TCC will be a full event, In Milwaukee 2 years ago they did not do all the stations and i think the organizers were almost lynched by the contestants.

It's evolving, I think the women got ripped off on the choice of trees for the MC last year. They were put into a very twiggy beech where they guys were in a big wide oak that was perfect for big moves, not to mention setting a line:rolleyes:

So all you people who know female climbers, get them to enter their chapters TCC's. A number of people are "winning" by default, getting sent to the ITCC because they are the only one signing up. Chance for a free trip and maybe even some prizes, not to mention the recognition. That's good for a resume'.

People use that sort of thing for a resume? I never gave it much credit. The thought of injuring oneself in competition at the expense of ones career always seemed a little silly to me. I may give it a try after I retire from climbing though.

I would however, like to see women go head to head with the men. Good for a laugh.....at the men's expense.

Originally posted by Mattman
People use that sort of thing for a resume? I never gave it much credit.

I think it would be good for a resume. It shows a genuine interest in climbing and willingness to learn new, safer techniques, plus have a higher awareness of the equipment you use.

The thought of injuring oneself in competition at the expense of ones career always seemed a little silly to me. I may give it a try after I retire from climbing though.

Get over yourself and your insecurities. Sounds like you are just afraid that someone out there is better than you.

I'll let you in on a secret, no matter how good of a climber you are, how many climbing comps you have won, someone, somewhere is better than you.

If you are worrying about injuring yourself, you are not using safe techniques. Or are you worried about freak lightning bolts?? Maybe you need training if risk of injury is so high.

Being intimidated by comps is just stupid. I was for a while and had the same attitude until I realized the only way I would learn more would be to climb with other progressive climbers and rub shoulders with climbers that care about climbing and tree care, not just punching a clock.

Practicing for comps has just made me more of an efficient climber. Thus a safer and faster climber. That all translates into $$

Do I think I will ever be ITCC champ? NO!!

Will I compete in future comps?? YES!!

You make a good point about rubbing shoulders with progressive climbers. Maybe you're on to something. I do have a family to support, and don't play adult sports for the same reason I don't compete. As I age I realize that I may not be at the top of my game. I just don't see the need to push it. Not to mention that you aren't covered by workers comp at these events. I can't afford to injure myself in competition. You may be financially set, but I'm not. It does look like a lot of fun though. Which is why I would like to try it after I retire from climbing professionally.

The reason why I don't give it much credit is that I'm sure that outside of the controlled environment of the competition there are a lot of fourth and fifth place climbers that are just as good, if not better climbers to have around the job site.

Matt

The best comp climber is not necessarily the best removal or pruning - work climber. That is for sure.

I see your point about not wanting have an injury not covered by workers comp. I don't have comp coverage as is so no diff to me.

There are a lot of guys your age and older competing and winning.

It is fun and it is a lot safer than a normal work day. For starters, no saws/sharp cutting objects involved. 2, everyone there are safety freaks. 3, all the events have been run before so the integrity of the tree is insured.

Climbing comps are to work climbing as rodeos are to real working cowboys. Not many cowboys riding a bull as part of their daily tasks. Rather a display of their balance and strength skills, as well as ability to stay cool in the right situation.

Exception to this analogy is the fact that climbing comps are safer than the actual work unlike the rodeo part of the analogy.

No girls climbed in TX. So if only one enters and climbs, she wins chapter title and goes to international??

I don't think it is the chapter title, but a chapter sponsorship if there is no competition for the spot.

I don't know any bad climbers in the competiotions, just ones that know they will never win, but do it anyways. I fill the first part, but use the time I could be playing for networking oportunites.

No one thing in a resume' should be a desciding factor, but along with vollenteerism and proffesional affiliations, it fleshes out the person beyond where they worked.

For at least ten years I've been involved in chapter and International CCs. One commmon theme that I've seen is that on any given day, there are about thirty percent of the climbers who will have a chance at winning the Master's. The rest of us will file in behind them. If you think that you are part of the 30%, you should compete and give it all you've got. If you're in the field behind them, with me :), then participate and have a good time. My goal has always been to do well in the AR and Work Climb and finish solidly in the middle of the pack. The rest of the day is a picnic. Its been fun to compete and be there to cheer on my group and share tips.

There is always a need for more volunteers at the events. If you're concerned about getting hurt, then you should be on the committee and give your energy and spirit to make your chapter event the best that it can be.

When I've judged at chapter and ITCC events I've always learned some really good techniques that have made me a better climber. If I hadn't taken the time to attend the events I know that I wouldn't be as good a climber as I am right now. Putting the tips and techniques to work has made my job easier and more fun. How can you beat that?

Another part of the TCC that too many people forget about is the opportunity to make new friends. After helping out at as many chapter TCCs in the US and being at the ITCC for many years, I've met "cousins" from many places. This family is sure a lot of fun!

I'm looking forward to meeting some AS folks in Montreal. I plan on helping out at the rec climb on Field Day. Look me up. I'll be the one with the modified Butterfly saddle :)

Tom

I competed twice in TCC. In 1994 in Portage la Prairie took 4th place, 1995 in Weyburn, Sask. took 3rd out of 19. Used the older techniques, but learned a lot of new ones. I would suggest competing to anyone who has some experience and a desire to learn more. Just don't wait until you are 47 to do it the first time like I did. I still want to do it one more time, 60 would be a good age I think.

Bob Underwood

Back