Amsoil Sabre oil. Any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardpan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've read casual mentions of Amsoil Sabre oil as being OK. Is anyone aware of actual testing that makes the comparison between Amsoil and others like Stihl Ultra synthetic. I am certain that the best we can do for our engines is use the best oil. Personal experience is of course valued from the heavy users/pros.

I've read casual mentions of Amsoil Sabre oil as being OK. Is anyone aware of actual testing that makes the comparison between Amsoil and others like Stihl Ultra synthetic. I am certain that the best we can do for our engines is use the best oil. Personal experience is of course valued from the heavy users/pros.

There are many threads of oil on AS with many test results and experienced users. Amsoil is better than OK. It is one of the best if not the best oil out there. I use it.

Reckon we could get an oil sub forum ??:biggrinbounce2:

Amsoil saber is fine oil, just don't mix it at 100:1. About any modern day synthetic oils are good at 40-50:1.:cheers:

I have used a gallon and a tish this year. My saws, weedeater, fogger ,and now my ice auger couldnt be happier. I use it in anything 2 stroke.

Belmont Co., Ohio

Blendzall bey-beh! Ahhhh the smell of castor and AVgas in the early afternoon.....

www.blendzall.com

I used to live out near there! Belmont County Ohio. I lived off of rt. 70 in Belmont and Bethesda. Still have friends out there. One Jimmy Boyle has a realestate and bails bond business in St. Clairsville, right up the hill from Martin's Ferry. Still writes and calls regularly. Nice people out there. To tell the truth miss it. Fantastic deer hunting and the firewood is to die for.

Many of the guys on the Lawnsite forum swear by Amsoil Sabre for their handheld trimmers and such. Like komatsuvarna said, don't mix it at 100:1, though. I think at 50:1 you would be fine.

Interesting. I have never heard of Blendzall. We tend to trust an oil name that is shared with the name of a major saw manufacturer, and they do want their product to last, but realistically they make chainsaws and not oil. I use only aviation gas and I simply want to match it with the best oil I can find. I already use Amsoil in my cars and trucks but I know many companies have different quality levels in their different products.

Check my sig and you'll know what's good enough for all my chainsaws, and has been for years. You'll also learn how to spell it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have flirted with the idea of switching to Amsoil Sabre for the cost savings but the STIHL HP Ultra has been fantastic. If it isn't broke...

It sure seems good to me. I mix a bit less than 50:1 but no where near 100:1. Works well in modern saws as well as the 30 year old ones also.

My question: How does it do combating some of the issues with ethonol?

Hal

I wouldn't dare go to 100:1. Probably some day we will though like we now use 50:1 in engines that were designed for 32:1. Lube has advanced so much and will continue to get better.

I have ran Sabre and have no complaints about it. But like was stated DO NOT run it at 100:1. I am at about 30 gallons of fuel with Amsoil Dominator used this year between the saws and dirtbikes at 45:1 and it is my oil of choice. Also I don't sweat the ratio anything between 40:1 and 50:1 is good. CJ

Hal[/QUOTE]

Hal this is JMHO but nothing will fix ethonol but fresh fuel, OR buy gas with none in it. I go out of my way to be sure of it. Ethonol is a poor idea in Anything in my book. CJ

Hal

Hal this is JMHO but nothing will fix ethonol but fresh fuel, OR buy gas with none in it. I go out of my way to be sure of it. Ethonol is a poor idea in Anything in my book. CJ[/QUOTE]

It is starting to be where there is ethonol in most gas. My John Deere dealer also sells Echo and Shindawa saws. He has been touting Shindawa RED ARMOR as a way to mitigate the effects of ethonol. Said that one of his commercial accounts ran 60 trimmers on it this year. In a normal year he replaces about half of them. This year only 3 needed replacing.

Hal

I'm a amsoil user also. Well I switch from stihl ultra to amsoil dominator. Dad likes the stihl premeasured bottles. So when he gets new gas stihl ultra goes in. If I get the gas its a toss up between the two.

Hal this is JMHO but nothing will fix ethonol but fresh fuel, OR buy gas with none in it. I go out of my way to be sure of it. Ethonol is a poor idea in Anything in my book. CJ

It is starting to be where there is ethonol in most gas. My John Deere dealer also sells Echo and Shindawa saws. He has been touting Shindawa RED ARMOR as a way to mitigate the effects of ethonol. Said that one of his commercial accounts ran 60 trimmers on it this year. In a normal year he replaces about half of them. This year only 3 needed replacing.

Hal[/QUOTE]

Thats good to know, hope I can always find non eth gas. CJ

i've read casual mentions of amsoil sabre oil as being ok. Is anyone aware of actual testing that makes the comparison between amsoil and others like stihl ultra synthetic. I am certain that the best we can do for our engines is use the best oil. Personal experience is of course valued from the heavy users/pros.
hardpan, i have used amsoil dominator,amsoil 2000,maxima k 2,maxima 927.i have great service and in some of my saws u and still see the cross marks from machining the jug.i dont use n e of the oils 1oo to 1 ratio.i may be wrong, i will get corrected on here for sure if i am wrong. I mix from 32 to 40 to 1 ratio.i cut a lot of firewood for my own use, my thinking like this is by a repair mechanics,is hard to burn one up with too much oil.we all remember when it was 16:1,u could hear someone cutting wood an look an see where they are by the smoke rising.i use premium grade gas 93 octane and above.i am not a big fan of ethanol. I almost forgot, i am going to try one the name is manhattan oil,(manhattan oil.com),suppose to protect as good or better,this person 1cut on here told me about it,he builds race saws,great stuff. I hope this helps and may have confused even more,works for me.good luck

I'm sure it is good oil, I wouldn't dare run it 100:1. I'll have to look and see if we have any dealers close. I have had fantastic luck with Ultra. It must have excellent stabilizers as I have left mix in string trimmers all winter and fired them up five months later with no issues at all. Ultra is also the cleanest/less carbon of any oil I've used, but I wouldn't be opposed to run Amsoil if it is price competitive.

Back