Amsoil Sabre oil. Any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a amsoil user also. Well I switch from stihl ultra to amsoil dominator. Dad likes the stihl premeasured bottles. So when he gets new gas stihl ultra goes in. If I get the gas its a toss up between the two.

Dominator is an injection oil designed for high performance 2-stroke snowmobiles and similar engines. I've run it often in my snowmobiles. It is not designed as a mix oil as Saber is. I'm not saying it won't work, but I'm saying it's not formulated to stay mixed in suspension in gasoline as well as Saber is.

So abandon the Dominator for mix applications and stick with the Saber!

Here's my bottom line. While Amsoil has proven itself for me again and again and again over the years, any top grade synthetic chainsaw mix oil beats conventional oils for wear and protection. Almost all my saws are used, and many of them came to me with lots and lots of carbon and deposits gumming things up. Half a dozen tanks of synthetic (in my case Amsoil) mix really cleans things out and smooths things out.

Last edited:
I ran it one summer at 80:1 with no problems, after a landscaper told me he ran it at 100:1 in everything he owns saws, trimmer and blowers. He had a poulan that is the same 13 years old and is used almost every day and it has never needed any PC work ....... so I tried it. I had no problems.

But it doesn't cost that much more to run it at 50:1 at which point there is an obvious blue film that runs down the side of the piston and can be seen through the muffler port on some saws after running, you can see it at 80:1 but it isn't as much. So I run 50:1.

I thought I had heard or read that the Saber 100:1 had the same amount of "active" ingredients as other oils at 50:1, not sure if that is true, but if that is the case then I'm closer to 25:1, for a standard oil, LOL.

As far as hard deposits, I've got saws that have run for 4+ years on Amsoil and they barely have any deposits when compared to most any other oil in a 2 stroke.

My experience with it,

Sam

Dominator is an injection oil designed for high performance 2-stroke snowmobiles and similar engines. I've run it often in my snowmobiles. It is not designed as a mix oil as Saber is. I'm not saying it won't work, but I'm saying it's not formulated to stay mixed in suspension in gasoline as well as Saber is.

Here's my bottom line. While Amsoil has proven itself for me again and again and again over the years, any top grade synthetic chainsaw mix oil beats conventional oils for wear and protection. Almost all my saws are used, and many of them came to me with lots and lots of carbon and deposits gumming things up. Half a dozen tanks of synthetic (in my case Amsoil) mix really cleans things out and smooths things out.
STIHLinELY, MY BAD,MASSIVE BRAIN POOT I USE SABRE, NOT DOMINATOR,THANKS FOR BRINGIN THAT UP

This is one of the reasons I love this site. You learn from the pros.

I just looked it up. It can be used for both injection and non injection. Here is a copied peice off the amsoil page.
Applications (2-Cycle Recommendations Chart)
DOMINATOR is recommended for use in high performance stock or modified two-cycle motors, including air or liquid cooled snowmobiles, personal watercraft, motorcycles (Moto X), ATVs, go-carts and outboard motors*. Good for use with coated or non-coated pistons, high-octane racing fuels and exhaust power valves. Compatible with most other two-cycle oils, however, mixing oils should be minimized.

I just looked it up. It can be used for both injection and non injection. Here is a copied peice off the amsoil page.
Applications (2-Cycle Recommendations Chart)
DOMINATOR is recommended for use in high performance stock or modified two-cycle motors, including air or liquid cooled snowmobiles, personal watercraft, motorcycles (Moto X), ATVs, go-carts and outboard motors*. Good for use with coated or non-coated pistons, high-octane racing fuels and exhaust power valves. Compatible with most other two-cycle oils, however, mixing oils should be minimized.

My information comes from personal conversation with Amsoil techs.

Your piece pulled from the Amsoil site, where it talks about mixing oils, is not talking about "mix" oils as they are blended with gasoline before use, but about mixing other oils with Amsoil oils.

Once again, Dominator will work in chainsaws. But since it's an injection oil, it's not designed to remain suspended in pre-mix gas/oil as well as Saber.

Trust me I would use saber if I had it but I don't. This is some left over from a few years ago that I had stored in the basement.

It says nothing on the amsoil website about being strictly for injection. Although they do have oil that is specifically for injection. The dominator is not. Here is some more copy and pasted peices.

DOMINATOR® Synthetic 2-Cycle Racing Oil (TDR)
DOMINATOR®, an AMSOIL exclusive formulation, lubricates and protects high-performance two-cycle motors, both on and off the track. High-performance motors, particularly those that are modified, operate hotter and at higher RPM than recreational motors, and they need good oil for peak performance. DOMINATOR is engineered for racing. It has the right film strength and clean-burning properties for “on the edge” operation.

* Not suitable for long-term use in outboard motors as a TC-W3 type oil, although excellent as a race oil for short-term use where motors are periodically inspected.

^ Its a racing oil. Not a injection oil although it can be used for injection. I have the oil from when I rode dirt bikes a few years ago.

Here is another.

Provides excellent film strength for high heat, high RPM motors
Reduces friction for maximum power
Recommended for use with coated or non-coated racing pistons
Suitable for use with exhaust power valves
Recommended for use with high octane racing gas
Burns clean; helps prevent ring sticking and plug fouling
Provides excellent protection at 50:1 pre-mix or in injection system
See Article: Two-Cycle Engine Applications and Lubrication Needs

My information comes from personal conversation with Amsoil techs.

Your piece pulled from the Amsoil site, where it talks about mixing oils, is not talking about "mix" oils as they are blended with gasoline before use, but about mixing other oils with Amsoil oils.

Once again, Dominator will work in chainsaws. But since it's an injection oil, it's not designed to remain suspended in pre-mix gas/oil as well as Saber.
uh,oh wrong again.

I know, pops. Been there, read that. And then I talked to the techs.

Just saying. :)

In the end, it's all good if it works for you.

I know, pops. Been there, read that. And then I talked to the techs.

Just saying. :)

In the end, it's all good if it works for you.

I know. I wasn't trying to argue with you or be a *ick. I've only made about 5 gallons of it ever. It tis just earl. Heck im sure you can still run 30w oil and be fine. Like they did back in the day. I've heard stihl even allowed 30w to be ran in there saws up threw the 1980's:rock:

I know. I wasn't trying to argue with you or be a *ick. I've only made about 5 gallons of it ever. It tis just earl. Heck im sure you can still run 30w oil and be fine. Like they did back in the day. I've heard stihl even allowed 30w to be ran in there saws up threw the 1980's:rock:

Oh, no worries! I know a Richard Cranium when I see one. And you aren't him. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Sabre, splash of Klotz Super Techniplate brings it to 42:1. Plenty of protection, smells good.

I ran my first saw, a new 076 @ 100:1 on Optimax and then on Amsoil for 12 years. Never a problem. With the ported saws and higher reving engines 42:1 makes me feel better.

Didnt the old Moblil MX2T have the same base stocks as amzoil? Actually I think it was said that amzoil got there base stocks from mobil. Is this true anyone know?

Wow, what a tremendous response from pros and occasional users like myself. Thank you. I have always been very particular about the lubricants I use and when I was a maintenance mechanic at a steel mill i saw first hand that lubrication is the cheapest and most effective preventative maintenance there is. The cost of equipment failure, downtime, and repair/replacement in general can destroy our objective at any level. The life of a 2-cycle engine is often brutal balls-to-the-wall so we protect it the best we can. I will include sabre (or saber, now I'm unsure of the spelling) with my next order. Honestly I am in no way connected to Amsoil but they should pay me something for starting this thread.LOL

Wow, what a tremendous response from pros and occasional users like myself. Thank you. I have always been very particular about the lubricants I use and when I was a maintenance mechanic at a steel mill i saw first hand that lubrication is the cheapest and most effective preventative maintenance there is. The cost of equipment failure, downtime, and repair/replacement in general can destroy our objective at any level. The life of a 2-cycle engine is often brutal balls-to-the-wall so we protect it the best we can. I will include sabre (or saber, now I'm unsure of the spelling) with my next order. Honestly I am in no way connected to Amsoil but they should pay me something for starting this thread.LOL

Shoot, if they paid you, they'd have to pay all the other 4,947 people who have started Amsoil Saber (yeah, Saber, look it up on the Amsoil Web site) threads in the last couple of years on AS. :)

I don't know much about Ammzoil: there isn't an easy way to get it in my area. But I'm sure its a good enough product...if it wasn't it wouldn't be around/

In my opinion, 100:1 works for lightly-loaded equipment because 90% of the oil separates out of the fuel-air mix inside the engine, and mostly stays down in the bottom end until enough accumulates to get picked up again. If you're running the engine hard, really pumping the air through, those higher velocities will pick up more of the deposited oil.

A modern 50cc hi-perf chain saw spins out at 14K, drops a little under load of course, but that's still a lot better than the commercial-grade weedeater that is all out of revs at 8K: saw blades and trimmer line just won't take more. Weedeaters from Costco and walmart struggle to make 7K, so they aren't even working that hard. Some blowers and vacs spin a little higher, but not much and run at a steady pace/constant load. Ice augers idle a lot. That means to me that you can get by with 100:1 in most stuff, most of the time, mostly. But you're really asking for trouble with a saw at 100:1

I run 43:1 in everything largely because its easy for me to measre out 3oz/gallon. Even an antique Techumseh ice auger and antique saws...with some exceptions: really, really old two-strokes with plain wrist-pins, cast-iron rings in cast-iron bores will probably survive with modern oils at thin ratios, but they run smoother and the rings seal better with more oil. These olde antiques are just put together loose and need the oil to fill in the spaces.

I don't know much about Ammzoil: there isn't an easy way to get it in my area. But I'm sure its a good enough product...if it wasn't it wouldn't be around/

In my opinion, 100:1 works for lightly-loaded equipment because 90% of the oil separates out of the fuel-air mix inside the engine, and mostly stays down in the bottom end until enough accumulates to get picked up again. If you're running the engine hard, really pumping the air through, those higher velocities will pick up more of the deposited oil.

A modern 50cc hi-perf chain saw spins out at 14K, drops a little under load of course, but that's still a lot better than the commercial-grade weedeater that is all out of revs at 8K: saw blades and trimmer line just won't take more. Weedeaters from Costco and walmart struggle to make 7K, so they aren't even working that hard. Some blowers and vacs spin a little higher, but not much and run at a steady pace/constant load. Ice augers idle a lot. That means to me that you can get by with 100:1 in most stuff, most of the time, mostly. But you're really asking for trouble with a saw at 100:1

I run 43:1 in everything largely because its easy for me to measre out 3oz/gallon. Even an antique Techumseh ice auger and antique saws...with some exceptions: really, really old two-strokes with plain wrist-pins, cast-iron rings in cast-iron bores will probably survive with modern oils at thin ratios, but they run smoother and the rings seal better with more oil. These olde antiques are just put together loose and need the oil to fill in the spaces.

Actually very easy to get the products. THe AMSOIL website AMSOIL Synthetic Two-Cycle Oil Has the information and everything can be ordered online.

Hal

This is just my experience with Dominator for the last 8 years or so. I have had no setteling issues, dirt bikes sit for 4 months or so, carbs look good, fuel in tank is always good. I don't even check the carbs anymore. Fuel in the leafblower sits for 11 months, no problem. Bikes/saws are always clean and powervalves are not gummed up like other oils that I have used. The place where Dominator shined was in the small bore dirtbikes. Some other oils even Interceptor would allow scuffing in the 65cc and 80cc bikes and the Dominator would protect in the worst cases. Dominator can be used as a injection oil but I have always mixed it. Most full blown race sleds and bikes are all mix and that is where all of my experience has come from. I think I have used it 1 time in my 800 rotax engine as a injection oil with no problem either. I have used a bunch of other oils also and the only oil that gave me problems was Klotz R50. If you were not running the crap out of it it would foul plugs in my bikes and chainsaws. JMHO. CJ

Back