Barnes pump GC 6016 a series info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynehere

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a homemade splitter that is really lacking in power. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get info on a pump I have, or maybe how to decipher the model number? It is GC-6016-A-2BR-2. Trying to found out what the specs are. I also have attached a couple of pics. Before I go and replace it, I wanted to know more about this pump. It currently has a 5.5 HP motor hooked up and I thought maybe it isn't big enough? I bought a pressure gauge to hook up, but waiting for the weather to warm up a little.

Attachments

• IMG_0324 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0324 (Medium).JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0325 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0325 (Medium).JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 51
I found some specs on eBay last night for this pump. It is a 11 gpm 2-stage. Not sure what the pressure is when it is suppose to kick down though.

So I attached a pressure gauge tonight and was only getting 300 with a load. I tried to adjust the lever valve and was able to get the motor to work harder, 500#, and easier, but still it wouldn't kick to high pressure. So I left it all the way in, and started adjusting the pump. I could get it up to 700# but then it would stall. I am thinking the pump is too big for the motor?

Thoughts?

Normally a 5.5 hp. engine is used to run a 11gpm 2-stage pump up to 3000 psi.. Your pump does not look like any Barnes 2-stage pump built in the last 30+ years, but if it is a 2-stage the cap on the rectangular block at the rear may contain the adjustment screw for the high flow bypass. The bypass is usually adjusted to open at about 600 psi. or just before the engine begins to bog down.

Yes, I pretty much deducted that same thing that the pump is pretty old. So I took the valve and springs apart on the pump and couldn't find any problems. Put back together and still have the same problem. What I did start noticing is that when I try to extend the cylinder against a log, the pressure slowly climbs up, not snapping up like I have seen on YouTube.

So the next thing I tried was to test the cylinder for bypass. I fully extended the cylinder, which is connected to port A, disconnected the hose from the cylinder on the opposite end, B, and put it in a bucket. I tried to extend the cylinder again and no oil came out of the cylinder. However the hose in the bucket had almost a full flow stream? I thought I had moved the lever the wrong way, so went the other way and even more flow came out. I think I found my problem. I would assume that no oil should come out of the B port when pushing oil through the A port?

Guess I will be looking for a new control valve. Of course that doesn't mean I don't have other problems too... :( One thing at a time...

I have been going through the same thing, I have replaced my Haldex Barnes pump with a new 16gpm pump, replaced control valve, friend gave me a brand new cylinder that I am about to install, I am installing a 3000# gauge while installing the cylinder, will let you know tomorrow how it goes.

My control valve should be here by Friday, so in the mean time I decided to tear my pump apart anyway. Glad I did. Out of the 8 bolts that hold it together, one was already snapped off and one was missing. One of the 3 o-rings was broken as well. I also found the top side of my mounting flange was broken when I pulled the pump from it's mount on the splitter. Of course it is cast iron, so I am going to try and mig weld it together. Stopped and grabbed some new o-rings and a can of Copper Spray gasket to use between the sections of the pump. I found this YouTube video of someone that did one already and he said it is holding up after a year.

Will have to report back on my progress.

How did you make out BigDaddy?

Well the rebuild didn't go very well. The spray gasket didn't work. I found that when I tighten the bolts down, it put too much pressure on the gears and stop them from turning. I guess the very thing plastic seals that were in it made just enough clearance for everything internally. I did some searching and found this site that sells gasket sheets and try to make my own.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/3493/=qmupfm

The spray gasket just squeezed out, even if I let it set for a few hours. I ordered a new pump as I need to get this going shortly. I can use this older pump as a backup if I ever get it going again.

Got the gasket least week and after fitting/cutting them out, found they were too thick. Never thought about blow-by, thanks triptester. Definitely getting an education on hydraulic pumps. Looked around a little more and I think I found the correct thickness shims. Might even get this old pump working again.

Sugar season on my doorstep, probably in a couple of weeks.

I gave up. Trying to cut those thin gaskets out was too much. I did get my new pump and its like a brand new splitter. I know now why they call them throw away pumps.

What did you replace the pump with? I am trying to d some research for my dad on this pump because he needs a replacement. He also has the gc-6016-1-2-b-r-2 .. Do you have any suggestions?

As best I could get any info on my pump, it was a 11 gpm and for my Honda 5.5 HP engine, I think it was a bit too much. So I throttled it back to a 9 gpm which seems to run great with my 4" bore cylinder. Here is what I bought.

http://www.baileynet.com/Two-Stage-Pump-Haldex-CID-Rated-GPM-9-CW-Rotation

On a side note, my buddy suggested trying some Yamabond for the gasket on the old pump. https://www.partspak.com/productcar...Hi-Temp-Silicone-ACCYAMABND6B-3458p177532.htm

I just haven't had the time to try it yet.

If you replace the gasket with Yamabond or any other sealant, I think the end clearance on the gears would be off and would destroy the pump in short order. You'd have to do some modification to the pump gear length first.

Yeah, that is what I found with the copper gasket spray. I had found a guy on Youtube that tried it and said it worked. I thought I would give this a try as I was going to just discard the pump anyway. Anyway, very happy with the new pump too and learned a lot about pumps. :D

The oil coming out the valve hose is from the return line connection when you are extending the cylinder, and connected to pump flow when retracting.
I don't think anythign wrong with the valve. did you try old valve with new pump?

Latest posts

Back