Best 24" Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incomplete

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm back. And brimming with ignorance. Ready for another beat down.

I am gearing up, slowly, and am actually getting some work. I've got an echo limbing saw and a 445 Husky from the box store (complete with Made in Sweden plaque) with an 18" bar on it. And I'm lusting over the three dead trees in my neighbors yard: I've got this itch to cut them down. But, I'm going to need a saw with more, reach, for one of them.

So, what is the best saw to get in a 24/28" bar?

Here are the factors, in order of importance:

Power/CC's
Brand
Durabillity

What's the best bang for my buck? I'm partial to Huskys, but choosers can't be beggars, you know.

Husky 372xpw or 372xp, Stihl 440, 441, or 460. Either of those would be perfect. I'd go with either the 440 or the 372xpw if it were me, going by your factors. :D

372, 575...I have the 20" on the 372 now that the 660 wears the big boy pants though (25" or 36" b/c)

Makita 6401 from HD can upgrade it with the 7900 PC and still be less than the 372, 44, 440, 441 etc. 6401 will pull a 24 the way it is. Mine is in Mastermind' Shop getting the works right now. Randy will probably do a thread on it.

For one tree ??

I'd get a used saw. A big old Mac :)

Or maybe a Chinese Stihl like and 070. Looks like there may be some firms making them under license for South America an they will import direct.

makita 7901
cc 78.5

HP 6.1

pro saw

Except that hardly any pro use them, mostly because of lacking dealer/parts support, I believe. :msp_smile::D

I don't think new ones are easy to find in the US these days either....

If the OP wants to play safe, I suggest any version of the 372xp, or a MS440!

Another thing to the OP, there is no 24" chainsaw - what you buy is a suitable chainsaw (powerhead), and a 24" bar for it.

Last edited:

Power/CC's
Brand
Durabillity

What's the best bang for my buck? I'm partial to Huskys, but choosers can't be beggars, you know.[/QUOTE]

Stihl 660 is one of the best Power/weight saws going, as to Durabillity it is most likley one of the best pro saw worldwide, it comes with a 25" bar as standed and will take up to 36" but works better if you only up to 30"

If you do not want a new saw, an 066 Stihl might just work. The 066/660 has the flexability to have anything up to 42 inch bar. I have 24 and 36 inch pars for mine. Both are great.

Once CAD grabs hold of you the 880 works really well with a 24 inch bar. Great for noodeling big rounds to a workable size.

Hal

If your only going to be running the 24 occasionally, the best bang for the buck out there is the 365 Husky. $629 with 24 inch bar and an extra chain. Free shipping. End of story!!!

My guess is you're not cutting many 45inch plus trees so it should get you by. If you are a tree service guy then get the 372 or 460.

Power/CC's
Brand
Durabillity

You're looking for a 70cc-80cc saw. Any 60cc saw is too small. Sure, it'll do it, but that's not an ideal situation. Anything bigger, and you're just lugging around more weight than you need.

Power, in order, not by my choice:
MS441/MS460/576AT, it's a toss up
372XP/365
MS440

Brand:
Stihl, due to dealer support
Husqvarna, can order parts online

Reliability:
Take your pick. They're all well built professional grade chainsaws.

The MS441C is the strongest 70cc saw I've ever run. It gets good fuel economy, has great AV, and has Stihl dealer support. The MS460 is one of my favorite saws of all times.

Last edited:
Except that hardly any pro use them, mostly because of lacking dealer/parts support, I believe. :msp_smile::D

I don't think new ones are easy to find in the US these days either....

If the OP wants to play safe, I suggest any version of the 372xp, or a MS440!

Another thing to the OP, there is no 24" chainsaw - what you buy is a suitable chainsaw (powerhead), and a 24" bar for it.

You guys are awesome! SawTroll, you new exactly what I was asking even though I didn't know now how to ask it. So far, the consensus seems to be something in the 70 cc range.

Let me ask another question: is it simply that CC = Speed? Kind of like a Scooter vs. a CBR RR 1000: they'll both get you where you want to go but one will get you there faster and in better standing with the ladies? :D I have this vague notion that its not only about speed but strength tolerances for handling the added strain of longer chain (because the bar, being a static entity, should be irrelevant, right?)

Thank you for teaching me, Collective Obi-Wan!

Also, Bayley's has the new makita that can be upgrade to 70 ccs for a voided warranty, and it's only $769.99 (o_O ouch). I'm not afraid of buying used, but with new you know exactly what you're getting, and I don't have my buddy's luck of finding awesome deals on ebay/crookslist.

If your only going to be running the 24 occasionally, the best bang for the buck out there is the 365 Husky. $629 with 24 inch bar and an extra chain. Free shipping. End of story!!!

My guess is you're not cutting many 45inch plus trees so it should get you by. If you are a tree service guy then get the 372 or 460.

It will probly become my new work horse.

If your budget is kind of tight, the Husky 365, at 71cc is the best bang for the buck in a new saw.

Budget? Haha, what budget? We don't need no stinking budgets! If it wasn't for low budget there wouldn't be a budget at all and if I wasn't self employed then I would LOVE to have a budget.

Get a MS 460R, you will never regret doing so. There is nothing on the market that will produce as much or as long if taken care of properly.

Get a MS 460R, you will never regret doing so. There is nothing on the market that will produce as much or as long if taken care of properly.

Thats 3 votes for the 460. Looks like I'm going to be heading to Exposure Therapy to help get over my fear of Stihl. ;D

Back