Building the ultimate sleeper saw.... 46cc Craftsman into a ported 72cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile. I finally came up with a great combination that will work. The saw is a 46cc Craftsman that I put a ported 72cc top end from a Stihl 038 Mag. :rock:

The Craftsman actually has a mag case, pro style cylinder, adjustable oiler, good av, light and compact. In my opinion, the Craftsman is built much like an 026. Same style case, covers, handles and tank. I've been working on this saw on and off for the last few weeks. I finally got it finished today. I plan on using this saw as my go-to firewood saw. I took it out to the woods and ran almost 2 tanks through it... filling the truck up with firewood. It was a treat to run... what's not to like about an 11lb 12oz 72cc saw. :cheers:

I know several of you are thinking..... will it hold up? I think it will. Poulan used the same crank, bearings etc. on their 60cc saws. It never missed a lick today, I had the 20" bar buried several times. I plan on using it as much as possible the next few weeks to put it through the test. There's only one way to find out if it will hold together... that's by running the heck out of it. So far the simple 2 shoe clutch is working fine, but a heavier 3 shoe is available if needed.

The saw preforms great so far. Compared to the 038 Mag, the Craftsman has a smaller case volume, lighter flywheel, lighter crank and lighter clutch... making it very responsive and spools up quick. And only 1/2 the weight of an 038 Mag. :)

My goal was to take a below average saw and turn it into something that will turn heads. Using all the original covers and such. Keeping it 100% stock appearing.

The Craftsman before the transplant

IMG_8416.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

My computer is taking forever to upload the pics.... I'll post what I can, but I most likely will have to finish tomorrow.

Got any pictures of this chick with her top off? Maybe a video of some chips flyin

Please do This is Very Interesting.:devil: Details Afterwards Please.:msp_w00t:

I actually have a Scorched 3300 Poulan that would be perfect for this.:rock:

Last edited:
Dang Ed, you got it done quick! I didnt think it was going to show its face here for a while yet though.

I can understand your excitement, I'm excited too! I think I can get over the week after next to get my hands on it! :rock:

I milled .018 off the bottom of the jug and had to move the mount holes over a little.

IMG_8598.jpg

IMG_8596.jpg

The flywheel had to be beveled on the backside to clear the transfers on the jug.

IMG_8566.jpg

I had to remove the little fins near the flywheel also.

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8571.jpg

Latest posts

Back