Choose my new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjcole50

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg Long story short we got another huge huge huge hook up on firewood between myself and my brother in law. Were helping a guy who is logging 1000 acres total farm land. Only a few of us are involved in driving out to various locations and cutting up tops that are too crooked for his processor! Now I'm currently running an ms311 which is pulling its weight don't get me wrong! But now I am buying us a splitter as my bil has got our trailer. So I figured hey I can throw in a saw on top of the deal and get a discount. And 0% financing. I'm financing currently because it works better than dipping into my funds which are reserved for wedding :(. Anyway I am selling off my ms 311 or trading not posotive yet. We are currently working on getting ourselves atleast 3 years ahead on our firewood then selling off the excess firewood. Now my choices are ms362 (felt great in the hands) or an ms460 (test cut and it is a beast that was a blast to run). Now adding a saw only ups my payment 10-15$ so one side of me says hey go big get a 460/441 and buy a 261 next year. But I feel the smarter more reasonable part of me saying keep the 311 or get a 362 and be done.... I do feel with the amount of our future cutting and 2 current cutting spots I can justify a pro level here! Yes some of the tops we are cutting do get large in diameter over 24-36ish" (large to me anyway). The 311 has not bogged a bit and pulls great but that 362 better construction and feel in my hands was really very nice. So with all this chaos I typed out here , I was hoping to get some advice from the guys as addicted or more addicted than I!!!

What is the "average" size you will be cutting? From the sounds of what your doing, it sounds like either MS36/2 or 044/440/441 territory (staying within the Stihl line). Specifically it sounds a lot more like 362/561/6100 territory if 24"+ is the exception and by your standards the 311 is holding it's own (assuming you get rid of the 311 in the process). If you KEEP the 311 as a spare/backup saw, I would lean towards the 441/461/461 or more specifically the 372xp, 576xp or 390xp Husky, or 7910 Dolmar. I like the feel of the 461, but I haven't tried the 460 (although it's been around for awhile and is a damn tough saw). The Huskies usually handle bit better, but it depends upon your tastes as to whether or not that's a factor. How many hours will you be using it and, if more than 4-6/day, have you eaten your Wheaties? The smaller the saw you can run (while having the necessary power) the longer you can safely go, all else equal. Big saws are F-in awesome to me, but I have no desire to run one for more than about 2-3 hours... Just trying to provide some context/prospective for you. If weight isn't a concern and you like power, go 6 cubes or go home... Otherwise I'd buy the tool for which you most often need, rather most want.

One other note, if the tool is less than $2K and it's relatively fragile (trees falling on it), DON'T finance it!!!!!!!!! It's only one awe ____ away from leaving you paying for a useless piece of shop origami.

Should have been more specific anything larger than 24" is slim but happens. The pile in the picture is one of 20 along a creek at one job site. Only a couple logs that size were in the mix there. But we cut twice weekly right now at 4-8hrs depending. We try for 6 truck loads. The financing is just for now and at 0% for the splitter I was like hey here's a great chance at a new saw for not much money. The financing will be paid off immediately after the wedding expense. It just basically allows me to safely get the splitter we need now and the cherry is a new saw :)... If I opt for the 362 I see no reason to keep the 311 and for my area/cutting I see the 362 being an awesome one saw option. With a junk saw in the back of truck for pinching . Now of course I want moar powaa but I feel it may be overkill when the 311 is cutting great. May sound stupid if the 311 is doing great and all but I like the better build of a pro series.

by looking at that pile the first saw I would grab would be my 346xp and leave the 70+cc in the truck,,, here is mine from the other day when I was cutting up some red oak

I'm sticking with stihl strictly because the dealer is a friend and his father runs the tractor dealership. I also held an ms261 and really liked the nimble feeling it had. Which I believe is the direct competitor to a 346xp correct me if I'm wrong here. Looks like it would do 99% of my workload tho

Looking at those logs, a ported 60 cc saw. You are going to have long hard days with zillions of cuts so the saw has to have enough power, plus be the lightest.

Cutting positions are terrible in these piles so I can see the advantage of the lightweight saw. The two saw 460/261 sounds like a deadly great all around package I think I may shoot for. But as I said the 362 one saw option is great and felt great . You guys think the 362 is up to the task? Or should I just shut up and get the last 460 available that I can find and then next year grab a 261? Decisions decisions. Nothing wrong with multiple saws as this my hobby/fun/ and heat so it is enjoyable/exceecise/and worthwhile purchases (what I told the wife) hah

Have a 361 and love it- pulls a 25" bar and rips when bucking with a 20"- I believe has has the best power/weight as well, so my vote is for a 362, keep a cheapy or BIL's saw for pinches. 441c would be nice too but overkill for what you are doing.

Cutting positions are terrible in these piles so I can see the advantage of the lightweight saw. The two saw 460/261 sounds like a deadly great all around package I think I may shoot for. But as I said the 362 one saw option is great and felt great . You guys think the 362 is up to the task? Or should I just shut up and get the last 460 available that I can find and then next year grab a 261? Decisions decisions. Nothing wrong with multiple saws as this my hobby/fun/ and heat so it is enjoyable/exceecise/and worthwhile purchases (what I told the wife) hah
The 362 will kill that pile all day long. But then you're stuck with one saw again.

One saw doesn't bother me if it has the grunt to cut all day and able to cut the few big rounds. Of course I say that now then get buyers remorse. This is a vicious cycle , hell I started with a 290 far boss now I'm considering a 900$ saw now and a 550$ one next year. The splitter is something we do need tho

Then get the 70cc now and a 50cc later when CAD bites. Though a 362 would be fine, a 460 will be finer ;)

From what I am looking at in that pile, you are going to be best off with a 261 or the 362. I would normally say to buy a bigger saw, but if you are cutting <12" wood I think at the end of the day you are going to be most efficient with either one of those. If 20" was the norm (which it definitely doesn't look like) I would say grab a 70cc saw.
BTW, I would opt for the 261c or the 362c. Autotune/ mtronic is the real deal. I have been nothing but happy with my Husky and Stihl a/t saws.

362 has auto tune? I know nothing about this feature? Is it one more thing to go wrong? Maybe I could reverse this and go ms261 then big saw?? How would the 261 do vs the 362?

If your cutting is represented by that pile you will absolutely be happy with a 362. Your hands will thank you. Its a very smooth saw to run.

Gonna put my two bits in just because I see you saying you would be happy with one saw. Even with a pair, yours and BIL's, a saw shortage is gonna bite you in the butt at an awkward time and either vastly slow down or shut down work for a day or three. Keep the 311, buy a self tuning saw. I normally run from something like that but too many people happy with electronic chainsaws to argue with, they work. Somewhere down the line sell the 311 and buy another pro series saw. When you aren't in a rush you may trip over one cheap.

Aside from anything else, it just seems to make the day go nicer to swap saws now and then instead of cutting with one saw all day. I like the change in handling and noise, can be a little tedious working through that already downed wood all day.

Hu

Was hoping this would be a clear cut decision where 20 people would come in and and say choose Stihl msxxx lol

Latest posts

Back